Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2009, 12:51 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpycamper View Post
I'm not asking you to change yours. That has nothing to do with my needs. Thanks anyway.
Excuse me for posting, I thought you wanted advice.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:32 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Noblesville , Indiana
Paul,

Did you ever find the problem with the genset? I had the same problem on recent trip in the rain. Worked on Friday and on Saturday it cranked but would not start. After two warm dry days attempted to start on Sunday and it started right up. I suspect corrosion (or just moisture) in the points. Putting up for winter and will have tuned up in spring before going on the road.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:53 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
No, I haven't solved the problem yet. Probably have to wait until spring
now, as the Roahouse is in NC and I'm in Florida.
Thanks,
Paul
Old 11-28-2009, 07:13 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1983 30' Airstream 300
Plantersville , Texas
I had the same problem with my new propane genset in 08. A friend took the air filter off and held his palm against the intake as he pressed the start button, fired right up.

If I am traveling and start the genset everyday , it starts with no problem from inside the MH. When it has not been started for a long while , I always have to start from outside and hold my hand on the air intake port. That has workrd for me every time so far.

I don't know if this will help you ,but you might give it a try. I do check the oil and change as recomended.

Kay
carnegie1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:55 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Paul
Just a suggestion from one who deals with small engines. I however am not familiar with this engine. But I would (if you don't have one) go to Harbor Freight or an auto parts store and get a spark tester. Take off one plug wire and insert this between the plug and the sparkplug wire. Crank the engine and see if there is spark. If no spark, three things come to mind, points, condenser. coil. Change the points and condenser as a pair. The most common failure in this system is the condenser. Then if no change the next suspect is the coil. Try this first and report back. If you could give me the Onan model # Id be glad to look up what you might need and some pricing ranges.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:35 AM   #26
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
If its not the points Paul, check this. On the back side of the propane intake where you can't see it, (also known as a carb), there is a small screw, (purpose unknown), that on mine at one time had vibrated loose and allowed too much air into the intake. Tightened it up and it started right up.

I still suspect the points but another question is, do you have the Moho engine running when you try to start it. That helps as it causes it to turn over faster. As far a flooding, I don't think you can with propane.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Roswell , Georgia
Propane issue

The ONAN propane generator uses a separate valve on the tank to feed liquid propane to the genset. First verify that the valve is open. ALL other gas appliances in the coach feed off of the OTHER VALVE.

As you look at the genset, the carb should be to the right of the unit. If you go all the way to the back and the lowest point on the "tray" that holds the generator, you can feel the flexible hose that comes from the tank. This flexible hose attaches to a metal device that has wires attached to it. This is the fuel solenoid that allows liquid gas to flow or not flow to the generator. If it is bad or not getting power you will not get gas. There is also a fuel filter screen contained in this assembly. Liquid gas then flows to an assembly on top of the genset that sits on the heads. This heats the liquid propane and forces it into a vapor.

If you smell propane when starting the unit, it is unlikely that the valve described above is bad. If you don't smell propane, your valve may be bad or filter blocked. Behind the manual switch on the set, there are a few fuses. Check these for continuity. If you have a bad oil level switch, the genset will also not fire. In your case, it will be very difficult to check for spark at the plug or coil because this is done from the top of the unit. I had to remove my set from the coach to do this.

If you can't get it running yourself, I have an ONAN Genuis that I ran up on who is all knowing and extremely reasonable that I can hook you up with in Atlanta near Kennesaw and I-75. He has a small barn full of parts on hand and is a very honest guy.

Ed
batwingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:53 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1994 35' Legacy Diesel
Rayne , Louisiana
Question onan

my ly onan only runs on liquid valve course my tanks have 2 valves liq./vapor can you smell overflow of propane? I would change spark plug 1st go from there
YACHTSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:14 AM   #29

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
I have a propane genset that I ran for about a half hour or so while I was shopping so that the a/c would keep my moho nice and cool last Friday.... came out and shut off the genset before shutting off the a/c. Anyway, the next day I couldn't get the Onan to start - all I got was a "click" inside and outside. I guess I should check my oil level as I just read someones post and realize that maybe that's possibly the reason?! Suggestions?
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:29 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by batwingz View Post

If you can't get it running yourself, I have an ONAN Genuis that I ran up on who is all knowing and extremely reasonable that I can hook you up with in Atlanta near Kennesaw and I-75. He has a small barn full of parts on hand and is a very honest guy.

Ed
Ed,
Can you share the name and location of this Onan Wizard? I'm sure others would like to know too.
I can get to the Atlanta area fairly easily from my NC location.
Paul