Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2020, 10:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
1992 21' Sovereign
2000 30' Excella
2001 31' Land Yacht
Valley Park , Missouri
Parking Brake Engaged at 65MPH

Cruising down the highway in my 2001 Land Yacht at 65MPH when suddenly it went into a skid with locked up rear wheels. Massive smoke and burning smell coming from the driveshaft mounted parking brake. Got to side of road, that brake drum was glowing! The motorhome was going nowhere fast.

After letting it cool several hours, which I spent doing a lot of internet reading on the subject, I was able to disconnect the cable from the hydraulic actuator and get it to a parking lot for further diagnosis.

Little did I know about the Chevy/Workhorse "Autopark" system. Seems that the default position of the the parking brake is ON, and any failure of a multitude of parts can cause a sudden application of the brake, effectively stopping the coach where ever it is.

I never knew...

If you don't know either, do a search for the "Rotten Green Switch" and be absolutely sure that you ALWAYS carry a spare!

The catastrophic application of my brake necessitated almost a complete new parking brake system from the drum, shoes, and cables as well as a new hydraulic actuator AND a new rear main seal on the back of the transmission which was melted from the heat from the locked up brake drum.

After digging into it myself, I decided I was in over my senior head and drove it to a shop, where it still is at this time, with an estimate of repair in excess of $4000.

After much digging, I found alternative sources for the parts that should get the repair down to $2500, but we shall see.

Oh how I long for my Land Yacht 355XL, which with a Ford chassis, didn't have this ridiculous parking brake, which without, leaves wheel chocks as the only way to keep a 18000 pound motorhome from rolling away.
airstreambob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 12:01 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2001 31' Land Yacht
Westport , Massachusetts
Smile Brake feedback and Hello

Hi,
Sorry to hear of your extreme damage and danger from the nasty high speed failure of the parking brake..

I also own a 2001 30' LY30 Airstream Land Yacht. It was Marketed as a Low Profile Class A Motorhome or Coach. Height is only 10'6" to top of AC's. It Goes Anywhere.
I have taken this Boondocking for 10 years all over the Northeast. Especially in the Deep Woods and Mountains of Maine, NH, VT NY. Just explored Western Virginia for 27 nites this July 2020 from MA.

I love this unit and now tow along a 2800lb 2003 Chev Tracker ZR2 using a Blue Ox Tow Bar.

The P32 Parking brake is the most common repeat offender with failures. Sorry, It is too late to warn you that when the yellow warning light is illuminated, The fluid pressure Holding the brake Open has dropped below the 1400 psi level triggering the rear sensor's Light. This is either the Rear Evil Grey sensor Leaking on the ground from the actuator below the rear of the Transmission, or the Front Evil Green sensor on the Parker Pump leaking up in front of driver.
The Parking Light is meant to be on Only when you are in Park or have Pulled the Yellow Handle while stopped. Either one or both sensors will Fail every couple of years.

When the Light Comes on you usually have a little time before the brake starts to drag. Still, The driver must notice and pull over to stop.
I carry 2 new sensors of each as spares and a gallon of ATF fluid. It is easy to get Rolling Again by removing a Single 10mm Bolt with Nut joining two flat linkage arms below. (WH In Manual)

I finally replaced Both of these GM parts with the Special Custom Parts Kit from Brazel's RV which are industrial rated and unlikely to Fail through Leaking. https://www.brazelsrv.com/
There are many threads on this subject.
Happy to share my self service info.

Send me a private message if you want to connect.
Stephen
schmaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:41 AM   #3
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Airstreambob,

Glad for you it wasn’t worse.

And Steven nice reply info and been there done that on your part.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:03 AM   #4
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
the auto park brake on the chevy chassis will fail and lockup rear wheels. toss the hydraulic mess and install an electric ram with built in position sensors.
weld /rig/modify the mount, modify existing wiring. I used a electric linear ram with two inch stroke from eBay. Linear Actuator 12V DC 1320LBS(6000N) 1.97-19.7inch (50mm-500mm) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Linear-Actuator-12V-DC-1320LBS-6000N-1-97-19-7inch-50mm-500mm-Linear-/263430286024 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Linear-Actu...-/263430286024
IPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:32 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
1992 21' Sovereign
2000 30' Excella
2001 31' Land Yacht
Valley Park , Missouri
Linear Ram

IPM, Thanks for your feedback! I did find another user on the forum that did exactly that with a linear actuator. If you have anything further to help with, I'm thankful and all ears.

I laid underneath my coach fiddling with stuff for 20 hours over a month and was never able to drop the drive shaft to get to the Drum autopark brake. 50 years ago I was pulling driveshafts, transmissions and engines on cars, but simply couldn't figure out what to do on the motorhome.

I eventually took it to a shop that ended up charging me almost $5000 to be parts replacers. Everything they replaced, ended up being something else. I know they replaced a bunch of "stuff" that didn't need to be replaced.

Today, I have a functioning Autopark. Oh, how I'd love to get something else working before it goes again, but I feel that Engineering it might be beyond the capabilities of this senior citizen. I'm looking for directions to replace it rather than me design it.
airstreambob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:35 AM   #6
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreambob View Post
IPM, Thanks for your feedback! I did find another user on the forum that did exactly that with a linear actuator. If you have anything further to help with, I'm thankful and all ears.

I laid underneath my coach fiddling with stuff for 20 hours over a month and was never able to drop the drive shaft to get to the Drum autopark brake. 50 years ago I was pulling driveshafts, transmissions and engines on cars, but simply couldn't figure out what to do on the motorhome.

I eventually took it to a shop that ended up charging me almost $5000 to be parts replacers. Everything they replaced, ended up being something else. I know they replaced a bunch of "stuff" that didn't need to be replaced.

Today, I have a functioning Autopark. Oh, how I'd love to get something else working before it goes again, but I feel that Engineering it might be beyond the capabilities of this senior citizen. I'm looking for directions to replace it rather than me design it.

When I purchased my 1992 350LE I found the autopark features disconnected. All I had was the emergency brake. The PO had not clue and did not warn me about it. I found out when my rig kept rolling in park in my slightly slanted drive way.

Above 16 000 GVWR GM did not use transmissions with parking pawls.

When I had a custom 4l80E built they did install the parking pawl and I am thrilled, because I am just barely over 16K if fully loaded.

You may want to check the GVWR of your 31' and spent the next 5k on a heavy duty trans with parking pawl that can handle your GVWR, like an Allison
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote