Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
1955 22' Flying Cloud
2000 31' Land Yacht
Lafayette , Louisiana
"New to us" 2000 30' Land Yacht 454 Chevy - Toad questions

We recently bought a 2000 30' Land Yacht. We sold our 30' Classic Excella 1000 travel trailer and truck. We are shopping for a Toad and are focusing on the Suzuki Sx4 AWD. Any thoughts or experience. My search has been for 4WD/AWD, Automatic under 4000# curb weight. We plan to use the Blue OX tow bar and tow 4 wheels down. Any thoughts on breaking?
jrkeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
LYG Toad Questions

I don't know much about the Suzuki, but we tow a wrangler 2 door and it tows fine. It's a good idea to keep the toad weight below 4000#, otherwise you'll exceed your GCWR.

In the next couple of weeks I plan to install the M&G toad brake system because it seems to be the one that brakes the toad every time I step on the MH brake.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:22 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Check out: SMI MANUFACTURING

I have been very happy with this brake control system. They have a system for hydraulic and air coach brakes. The downside is that the system installs on the toad and cannot be readily moved from toad to toad.

Sam
Airstream12557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:24 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Addendum: I tow a Toyota Corolla with standard transmission.
Airstream12557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
I have a Toyote Matrix standard shift, Blue ox bar, tow plate SMI Duo.

Steve
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Addendum:
You should make yourself fully aware of the "autopark" issue with this coach and carry spare Rotten Green Switch and the Rotten Gray Switch and ATF fluid. You can search this site for info. Just a heads up. Been there, done that.
Steve
Old 02-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
1955 22' Flying Cloud
2000 31' Land Yacht
Lafayette , Louisiana
Thanks to all for your input.

Steve your references to ATF and the switches concerns me. Could you expand a bit?

Thanks. Jay
Old 02-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Towed a ford ranger pu and now a Honda fit with difference noticed the 1200 pounds does make it easier for the 454. PO towed a wrangler, variation on how much you can tow. Hitch marked 5000, AS manual recommended 3000, tow bar gives 8000. Your choice of Suzuki 4x4 sounds like the way to go if you need off road capabilities. I did like the pu for all the stuff it could carry, kayaks, bikes and tools, Fit will do the bikes and be better for touring sightseeing.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
1955 22' Flying Cloud
2000 31' Land Yacht
Lafayette , Louisiana
I had been looking at Suzuki Sidekicks but most had been off roaded or at least "Road Hard" and I really want an automatic so we started looking at the newer and more tame Sx4 that is All Wheel Drive.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Henrietta , New York
Autopark

Regarding Autopark, switches and ATF fluid you can search this site, other forums, or look here:

Oemy's Web Site - J71 Autopark

I look forward to reading more about your adventures. I am looking a MHs similar to yours.

Jh
jshaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Jay:
The autopark issue is off topic for your thread. I do not wish to alarm you on it but with a coach similar to mine and with my experience with the failure far far from home (Death Valley) and coyotes running wild, the generou$ motors dealer wa$ very helpful in re$olving? the problem. Being new at the game felt like a sheep getting $horn. Anyway, Oemeys site is a good start. You also will find Old Used Bear there, he is the resident expert and runs the Autopark library. Below is another forum for your chassis. You will need to register to get in. Highly recommended. MotorhomesP-30GM : Motorhomes---P-30GM Chassis

The term "autopark" is an oxymoron. The tranny does not have a "park" pawl due to the weight of the coach. Instead it uses a drum brake attached to the drive shaft. Later models use a disk type caliper brake for the same function. The mode of failure is a total lockup if you loose hydraulic pressure. The actuator is spring loaded to apply the driveshaft brake. Much like the "big boys" who use air brakes. You probably have seen the black dually marks on the pavement when their brakes fail.

There is much to learn about this autopark system and you can spend enjoyable time reading the threads. I can give you much more info or if you have any questions, we are here to help.

Steve
Old 02-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
1955 22' Flying Cloud
2000 31' Land Yacht
Lafayette , Louisiana
Thanks so much for the clarification Steve. I have booked marked the sites both you and JH recommended. I hope I don't have the issue but being armed with the information will help me get through it if I do. I am medically retired and don't drive much and not at all with th MH so I depend on my wife and chaufer, Marilyn, to let me know when she feels something that may not be right. She is still getting used to driving the MH. She did a great job for years piloting our 95' F-350 dually plulling our A/S trailer so I am confident she will do just fine. Again, thanks for the help. Jay
Old 02-03-2013, 06:24 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Jay:
In my case having crossed the bridge @ Buffalo and after the customary inspection, the border agents to their amusement and my consternation when the coach would not release from the autopark brake engagement. Had to smoke it out with 454 and smoke and stench of the engaged park brake. The trip almost never happened before it started. Fortunately it behaved 'till we got to death Valley. As I mentioned it is a very good idea to have all the info and parts together as you may have to "educate" the mechanic if you cannot do the work yourself.

Also pay particular attention to the front airbag suspension as they tend to leak and the wheel alignment and handling depends on the correct ride height.

We love our ASLY2000 and plan on an extensive trip this summer, hope you enjoy yours.

Steve
Old 02-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
1955 22' Flying Cloud
2000 31' Land Yacht
Lafayette , Louisiana
We have only driven ours from Sulpher, LA back to Lafayette (less than 100 miles) and then to the Goodyear store for tires and a couple of local ride arounds just to get used to it. We plan to join a rolling rally in late March that will take us up to North Louisiana and over to Mississippi. We will leave the Rally at Vicksburg and go east to Atlanta (camp on Lake Lanier) then north to Dickson, Tennessee (camp at Montgomery Bell Park) then work our way back home. We have our Mardi Gras Rally close by later this month so hopefully we will be comfortable with it before the longer trip. Thanks for the tips. Jay
Old 02-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Belgrade , Montana
We tow a 07 Honda CRV with our 05 LY. Hardly know its there.
JMSx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
1955 22' Flying Cloud
2000 31' Land Yacht
Lafayette , Louisiana
We were out running errands in Lafayette today and stopped by the Suzuki dealer to take an upclose look at the SX4. I had the impression it was a crossover, it's not it is a little car. Didn't matter they had no AWD versions and the salesman shared with us that Suzuki would no longer import to US after this year. They had 4 cars on the lot. Oh well, I was leaning towords Escape 4WD or Honda CR-X anyway. We are truck or SUV folks. Haven't had a car in years.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:28 AM   #17
RAG
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Canadensis , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkeef View Post
Oh well, I was leaning towords Escape 4WD or Honda CR-X anyway. We are truck or SUV folks. Haven't had a car in years.
Jay,

For what it may be worth, the Hyundai Tucson compares favorably to these, and comes in a couple hundred pounds less.

We too are truck people, a Dodge Power Wagon, but for obvious reasons, she stays home. Our decision was to go toadless; so far, so good.

I'm sure you'll figure it all out.
Regard,
Randy
RAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Jay,
We had been toadless for a few years and for the most part it was okay, just a bit inconvenient to unhook to go for a loaf of bread or to dump.

Do not know if tow plates are available for the Suzuki, a good place to see (of several) is Blue Ox. Got the complete kit from them, (plates, towbar,wiring harness, etc). Their installation manuals/sheets are very good but a bit of vague on the coach/car wiring. EG your coach as mine uses the LR turn signals lines also as the brake lights. The toad has separate turn signals from the brake lights. I could not find a box to convert to that and had to drill the rear light assemblies to accept separate bulbs/sockets for brake/turn signals, these were included in the wiring kit as well as the steering diodes(not used).

Another thing to consider is the ease of installation, plates and wiring. Blue Ox gave an estimate of 2hrs to install the plate bracket and 3 hrs for the wiring. The wiring was a PITA as the interior of car had to be disassembled to gain access to the rear light assemblies.
Good Luck with yours and happy camping

Steve
Old 02-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
1955 22' Flying Cloud
2000 31' Land Yacht
Lafayette , Louisiana
Thanks Randy I will add the Tucson to the search.

Steve I have a Blue Ox that the PO let go with the MH. Didn't know about the wiring issue. Yesterday I found a local RV repair shop that doesn't scream "we don't work on Airstreams" as soon as you get out of your mouth what you have. This guy specializes in Work Horse chasis and is an authorized warrantee shop on several of the brands we have in our MH including Blue Oz. We have an appointment in a couple weeks for them to check our leveler motor (it screams when operated). His service list covers most of the issues I have. If I have a Toad by then I will get him to put the tow plates on and hopefully breaks & wiring.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Jay,

Good you found someone qualified to work on your ASLY.

Assume the PO left a BluOx towbar? If so you also might have a Reese hitch installed on the back end as well as a 7 pin wiring connector wired up in a standard configuration.
Can't suggest anything about the leveler system as I do not have one. Perhaps others could chime in? DaveFL?

You might also consider the Blu Ox car guard for the toad.

Good luck on your search for the toad n stuff.

Steve