Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht LE
Jonesboro , Georgia
I have a 1995 Airstream Land Yacht With a 454 and 85k miles. It has two new batteries replaced in November 2012 (one chassis and one house). They both have a 12.6V charge verified by a voltmeter, charger, and inspection at auto store. The alternator is brand new and the RV will run with no batteries attached with the volt meter reading in the 13-14 volt range. When I attempt to start the motorhome, the motor will turn maybe once and then slows to a stop. When I use the Aux Start button it starts right up like normal. I have attempted to jump start the chassis battery with another battery and it has the same results. I have disconnected the battery cables and they were clean with no corrosion. I tightened them up and checked the ground and all is tight. What next???
mcm9970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Is this a starting battery or other?
If it is starting battery it sounds like it is bad or a poor connection. ( you seem to have checked both). What size is the battery? You have a big engine.
The CHASSIS GROUND cable must be in good condition. Remove that and clean and reinstall.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm9970 View Post
I have a 1995 Airstream Land Yacht With a 454 and 85k miles. It has two new batteries replaced in November 2012 (one chassis and one house). They both have a 12.6V charge verified by a voltmeter, charger, and inspection at auto store. The alternator is brand new and the RV will run with no batteries attached with the volt meter reading in the 13-14 volt range. When I attempt to start the motorhome, the motor will turn maybe once and then slows to a stop. When I use the Aux Start button it starts right up like normal. I have attempted to jump start the chassis battery with another battery and it has the same results. I have disconnected the battery cables and they were clean with no corrosion. I tightened them up and checked the ground and all is tight. What next???
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht LE
Jonesboro , Georgia
Dave,

Thank you for the response. Yes- the starting battery is the one giving me trouble. It is a Duralast 34DT-DLG with 800 cold cranking amps. It checked out at 783 CCA at its current charge. I may just replace the ground cable and see what happens.

Thx,

Matt
Old 04-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
The engine to chassis ground must be clean also.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcm9970 View Post
Dave,

Thank you for the response. Yes- the starting battery is the one giving me trouble. It is a Duralast 34DT-DLG with 800 cold cranking amps. It checked out at 783 CCA at its current charge. I may just replace the ground cable and see what happens.

Thx,

Matt
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht LE
Jonesboro , Georgia
I found the problem- the Jacobs Energy Pak RV Ignition Kit failed. They do not make it anymore as the company has dissolved! Does anyone have any experience with these ignition and spark kits??
Old 05-17-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht LE
Jonesboro , Georgia
I removed the ignition a few weeks ago and it is running great! I am going to get the spark plugs replaced in case they were gapped differently for the ignition system. Then we are off to Savannah!!
Old 05-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Thanks for the update, nice when someone solves a problem, and posts, especially when the cause is an oddball item doing it.
How long in Savannah? We will be just north of Savannah for a Parris Island graduation first week of June.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1995 31' Land Yacht LE
Jonesboro , Georgia
We are going May 24-26th.