Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2016, 08:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Looking at '95 Land Yacht LE 30'

Hey folks!

I used to be an avid member many years ago, and enjoyed my 28' 1981 Excella 454 MH for many more. I had it from 2002 to 2015, so a 13 year run was awesome with that rig.

My two boys grew up and went away, and since I wasn't too fond of the rear twins, and sleeping on the gaucho, I ended up selling it last year and am jonesing for another. I really like the '93-'97 Classics, but they are just too hard to find.

I found a 1995 AS LY LE 30' with 62,300 miles about an hour from me. It has the rear queen, which I really want. They are asking $8500.

Are there any peculiar issues with these MH's? I'm used to the all aluminum bodies, and fiberglass kind of scares me. I heard these tend to leak more. What's the scoop on these?
Old 03-29-2016, 08:57 AM   #2
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I guess you only have to look here and make your own judgement as to whether these experiences are typical or not with Airstream built fiberglass MH

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456...on-145069.html
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:30 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
Holy Moly! That is a scary thread. That guy has my respect. When we started looking there were a few 4 Winds motorhomes for sale around here at really good prices - with the same kind of deflection/odd looking exterior panels. I did not even show those to the wife.... really a pisser that AS had such shoddy QC; and never stepped up to the plate to support their customers. Truly caveat emptor...

But $8.5k is a pretty good price. Low retail is about $12.5kper NADA. We paid $12k a few months ago for ours with 70k, in pretty good condition, with no delam and a roof in good condition. Others in our area were asking from 15k to 17k in slightly worse condition, similar miles. You pays your money and takes your chances...

But as with anything 20 years old, you learn more the longer you own it. We are now doing the front end steering/springs/ball joints, etc, and it looks like the engine front seal just went; although this was NOT leaking after our 30 mile test drive...

Sigh.

If you do all the work yourself it will be way cheaper than hiring it done: but will also take your weekends away...

Or you could spend $40-50k on a 2004-2006 - and maybe have the same problems...
pago cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
I'm going to see it tomorrow at the storage facility.
I spoke with the owner and she said there is no short RV Queen mattress, no window coverings, stove needs grates and drip bowls, galley bench seats need recovering, and tires are very old.
It has all the manuals, but no maintenance records. Didn't ask if there are any leaks or if all the systems works. I'll ask in person.
Not sure about any engine problems until I test drive, but they took it out last year and said it ran fine.
Will need to be smogged, although passed last year. Fresh interior paint and floors, which make me wonder if they were trying to cover something up.
Tires and mattress alone will cost me $3200, not to mention window coverings and other stuff, putting me way over my budget.
It looks like it's a little rough condition, but if I can get it for around 5K, it will be worth it. Otherwise, I'll probably pass.
Old 04-01-2016, 04:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
And BTW, just found out from VIN that this is a 1994, not 1995 as they posted in the ad.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:39 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
Just be sure and take a good look at the siding. Stand at each of the corners, and sight down the side all the way to the end. I would also take some pics of the sides at various angles at (if you can do it) slightly different times of day.

A widow has had a 93 Winnebago for sale down the road from us for about a month now. I look at it 2x day driving to/from work. This AM I was maybe 20 minutes late, so the east sun was hitting it. I was startled to see the east side dimpled that I had not seen before.

I'd be sure to get to the roof as well. And inside the side front cabinets above the driver/passenger heads.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Thank you. That's the info I'm looking for. I suppose the inside of the side front cabinets would indicate a leak if it's moldy or something, as well as dimpled siding.
For what it'll cost to buy replacement items for bed, windows, cushions, stove and other things most likely to show up, I think paying 5K would be the most I could do and then get it up to par with another 5k. I don't want to have it cost me more than $10,000.
I could get a better RV and already done for that price, although maybe not Airstream. I just like the aerodynamic nose.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:43 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
Just my opinion, but any older MH can become a money pit real quick. I had a 2002 Fleetwood diesel that seemed to cost me $1k every time I started it up. Did the new tires, had AC issues, etc, etc. This unit was in decent shape and had about 52k for miles but I got real tired of putting money into it. I think it would been better if I had been using it on a regular basis but once they start sitting they seem to break. Went back to a travel trailer as my TV is used regularly. That being said , I'm rehabbing my 1989 Excella and I hope I can get out of it for $10k above what I paid for it $5k so far so it will be close. Just glad I don't have a powered drivetrain to contend with. Just be careful with this purchase and maybe have an appraiser look it over. Good Luck...
JDB
MAJORJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
I have a 97 LY diesel pusher with fiberglass exterior. Uneven exterior sidewalls is a dead giveaway for wall leaks. I am the first to agree that yearly roof maintenance on any RV (especially stored outside in winter) is a requirement. This is also why its worth a detail inspection before purchase. Fortunately mine never leaked and after 3 trips to Beacon Truck/RV Wash in the last year, only found a small amount of water in the sliding window tracks at the driver seat. However, I do plan to reseal the windows this spring and apply a sealer coating on the roof. Preventative maintenance is lots cheaper than what the guy with the Cutter was dealing with in the photos shared by Martin.

Just got it back from the diesel shop for its annual service. Other than a rat nest in the air filter (appeared very old) and a fuel filter not changed since 2006, its ready for the road. Must admit seeing a 12ton Airstream suspended 6' in the air was amazing....photos coming soon
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:59 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Denton , Texas
Probably a given that there is sidewall delamination. Echo the comments about a 20 year old mh but if you are handy and not too concerned about everything being perfect then go for it. $8,500 seems a little high, I paid $9,100 last year for a 94 diesel with 103k miles although PO of one year had put in $15k. Has delamination in several spots and had to redo previous ceiling replacement in kitchen area from leaks.
dajen54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:01 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Checked out the AS this morning. People seem to think that others won't notice that their rig is trashed or are blind to it.
This one was so bad and as I pointed out stuff, they denied it all or explained it away.
Needless to say, I walked away from this one.
Still hoping to get a Classic 30' or a 310.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:34 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1997 31' Land Yacht
Mahone Bay , Nova Scotia
We bought our '97 2 years ago, and have had fun redoing much of the interior and a whole bunch on the outside. Following our usual practice of buying high and selling low we paid too much, but still like it. We have had bigger and better, but are enjoying this one. It is a manageable size for things like buffing and waxing! And we get lots of favourable comments.
wheelygoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:24 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
"It is a manageable size for things like buffing and waxing!"

For the OP:

We looked at maybe 2 dozen, maybe 6 of then seriously, b4 settling on our 96 LY30.

The two we liked the best, and spent quite a bit of time inspecting were a 28' 4 Winds C and a W30.

The 4 Winds looked good, drove good... but the PO's smoked. It smelled like an ashtray that had just been emptied - and from quite a bit of research, unless you gut the interior it will never go away. How detailed? We are talking about changing the air conditioning ducts in the dash...

The W30 looked good, low miles, but the PO's did some goofy kind of "sealant" on the exterior; and it apparently rained as they were finishing. The resulting finish was horrible: it actually lifted the gelcoat in more than a few places. The only solution was a total repaint. 3 places got me prices of $5k to $10k.

The point of this is that while we walked, both parties called us back. With REALLY good counteroffers. You may get a call back, so it might be handy to have run some numbers and what (or if), a palatable number might be.

Best of luck in your search.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:31 AM   #14

1978 28' Ambassador
Chattanoog Dee a , Tennessee
I have a coworker needing to sell a late 70s Argosy 454 in amazing condition with queen bed in back. Pm if interested. In the Chattanooga area.
Ldydefleurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
No easy way to price a MH but doing lots of looking will give you a better idea of what is right for you. Keeping your eyes open and ears closed to seller's chatter goes a long way to having a successful buy.
When we were looking we listed things we had to have, space(previous RV too small for extended living, queen bed that doesn't have to be put together each night, shower, heat and A/C, ability to boondock, exhaust fans in lvgrm, kitchen and bathroom, comfortable seats driving or watching tv, no carpet in living area for easy cleanup, I bought ideal, low market price and it was detailed professionally in and out. Don't believe the ads do an inspection,looked at a turn key unit the key was the only thing that turned. When you look at enough units you will be able to move fast on a good deal, if it is good it won't be on the market long. You are right to know what you want and reserve money to do those things needed to make it comfortable. Don't forget to get roadside assistance insurance and a good set of tools.

Since owning 7 yrs, each yr has had a few thousand in repairs or replacement: Tires, dash a/c, motor repairs(leaking gasket between head manifold, std plugs, wires and electrics, wipers, batteries house and start twice, toilet changed to porcelain, tile in bathroom, new shower fixture,kitchen wallpaper replaced with formica backsplash, strengthened, refinished dinette table, new mattress topper, new flat screen tv, rebuilt electrics for exterior steps, replaced both roof a/c cowls(covers), all roof caulking improved and sealed, added shelves in pantry, under sink, replaced drawer slides in bedroom, most interior reading lights switched to leds. Replaced all brakes pads and calipers, Air bags for front coil springs. Switched electric from 30 amp to 50 amp Lots of r and r jobs taking time and little money for example windshield wipers and armature, greasing chassis, improving exterior storage spaces. I am retired and this is also my hobby at least thats how I can justify all the work and money spent
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote