Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Strange... Mine doesn't seem to work that way. I'll check again tomorrow just to make sure. Anyone else with a 91 to 93 LY that can chime in on whether the rear AC can be run at the same time as the front? I guess I could call AS to find out.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
I guess I could call AS to find out.
Good luck with that....
Old 01-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
Strange... Mine doesn't seem to work that way. I'll check again tomorrow just to make sure. Anyone else with a 91 to 93 LY that can chime in on whether the rear AC can be run at the same time as the front? I guess I could call AS to find out.
Yes, I have a 1993 and both will run if the switch is set to the front and generator running. I also have the 7000 KW gen.
When you start working on your levelers (if you have the HWH) and have any questions, call them direct at 563-724-3396 and ask for Frank in technical assistance. Sometimes a bit hard to contact, but he does return calls, and is very sharp.

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Thanks Gloran. That's the info I was looking for. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Yes, I have the HWH 610 Series levelers. Thanks for the contact info. That, I'm sure, will help a bunch. I'm pretty sure I have a bad jack warning switch on the RF jack, but would like to hear from Frank on how to verify it. I could be a bad connection as well. Any idea where the control box for the leveler system is located?
Old 01-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Here's where she sits now. The seam along the front cap and roofline was split so water ran into the headliner above the front seats. The leak damaged the wood behind the headliner and both side bolsters that housed the speakers. Structurally there was no damage to either the end cap or the roof support. I also had a roof leak along the corner round over the kitchenette and one more corner round leak over the bedroom window. The damage actually looks worse then it is. The walls are still firm and there were no roof leaks aside from the wall leaks noted. All leaks have been fixed now. The other walls are still solid everywhere else and there are no stains on the inside ceiling area. I know I have a good amount of work to do but at least the roof leaks are fixed and there were no soft spots on the floor. Here are some pics of the damage:

Curb side headliner

Road side headliner

Curb side headliner straight on

Curb side headliner straight on

Damage to headliner side bolster holding speaker

Damage to driver's seat.

The Rear Kitchenette Seat

The front Kitchenette Seat

Road side bedroom window

Man I hate leaks, but I guess that's why I got her so cheap.

Did verify that both AC units do in fact run with the genset on and switch set to front. Once more thing off the list.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Yes, it looks grim, but I know you will get it done, and nice!
Glad you got the AC's working... I missed that too and had to ask!

Look here for your HW Levelers Service Manual..
HWH Service Manuals
Old 01-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Boy howdy, that's some nasty interior damage. Any clue how the "seams" split? Any pics on how you repaired it?
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Seams splitting really was just the calk failing after years with no attention. Many of the rivets on the corner round were out or falling out. This caused some of the calking along the roof edge that meets the corner round to fail. All seams were de-calked, re-riveted and re-seamed using Eternabond Tape. No further leaks have been detected since. Eternabond is really some great stuff. Easy to install, UV protected and warranted for years.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Did you have any damage on the outside with delamination? Unfortunately all your wall panels are luan plywood with a veneer wall finish on top, (thats separates when wet) contact glued to styrofoam in wall.The repair wouldn't be all that bad if it were not for the removal of all the cabinets,windows, valances & seats needed to work on it. From the picture where the damage is located below the window in dinette you might want to check for window leaks too.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:41 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
There is some delaminaton on the road side near the fidge access panel. I know I may never get everything completely new again, but I will get it looking presentable.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:11 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1992 36' Land Yacht
Oroville , California
I thought I saw a message somewhere that the levvelers are only supposed to be used when the engine is not on when using them? ? ? What is your experience with this?
rollin home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1993 33' Land Yacht
North Bend , Oregon
Send a message via ICQ to tbro Send a message via MSN to tbro Send a message via Yahoo to tbro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin home View Post
I thought I saw a message somewhere that the levvelers are only supposed to be used when the engine is not on when using them? ? ? What is your experience with this?
My operators manual states that the engine must be off, emergency brake applied. I could dig it out and get all the statements if you need it...

Otherwise, I think you'll enjoy your project. I bought my 93 33' for $3500 and poured another 5000 into it, though I redid the entire interior since I work from home and needed more desk space. Dinette came out, etc... You can see some pics if you wish on my profile.. I'll be following your progress.

My Web Workings
tbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
This is a very interesting project. My ASLY2000 has some interior delamination which will be fixed when it gets a bit warmer in Spring. Just wondering if the interior laminate is available to match existing. I have not taken anything apart yet to see what damage is underneath. Sorry, did not mean to hijack this thread.

Looking forward to your project updates 92Landyacht

Thanks
Steve
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Steve, you could call Jackson center and ask, but after eleven years probably not to likely to find a match. But they may give you names of suppliers to contact. Where is your damage located at inside your coach?
Randy

Old 01-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #35
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
Steve, We did a repair replacing a section of the wall that had water damage. I could not find wall paneling. There are a couple of alternatives.

W sould probably start a thread about this work, or maybe there is one...
BarnacleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
As I'm currently in the middle of this interior renovation, I would be interested in any suggestions on material selection and techniques. Things I would be most interested in are wall materials, glue selection, insulation and fiberglass repair along with how to go about repair around windows and delaminating repair. I'm thinking of using 1/8" hardwood luan to replace the interior walls. Just having a hard time finding a local source. I'm also going to add some provisions for better AV equipment. Flat panel screens, Blu-Rey player and surround sound on on the list. Any ideas on how to best run cables would help.

I knew that this was going to be a long project so I'm giving myself time to do it right. I do have a reserved RV parking spot waiting for me at Road Atlanta for the Petit Lemans road race in Oct. 2012. The goal is to have it useable by then. After doing several years of $1000+ rentals I decided that this year it would be MY RV that goes to the races.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:29 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Just found a source for 1/8" 4x8 sheets of lauan plywood to restore the interior walls. They'll charge me $18.48 a sheet and I can order anything from 1 to what ever. The great thing is that they're located just 5 miles from me in Lawrenceville, GA. Their name is Cofer Adams. They don't stock it, but will get it at no extra cost. That's a biggie since I haven't been able to locate 1/8" sheets anywhere else.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Here is info from A/S that I received which may help in your project.

"Sorry, we don’t have that paneling anymore. We do have like a wall paper that is 8” wide and sold per feet.
The part number is #365251-02 you can get price and order this from any Airstream Dealer.
As for removing your windows, I will send this to the Customer Support, and they will get back with you on this." Here is that reply:

"According to one of our service techs, the window should have a trim ring around the interior that would be removed. From that point there will be a rubber seal that is removed to reveal the mounting screws." (not sure if this applies to a LY)

I will be getting a sample of the "wall paper" and will inform the group. My interior does not have any 8" seams and will check into this further.

BTW, is.chowa & s.chowa are one & the same as I am having some probs w/accounts & working on it.

Good luck on your restoration.

Steve
Old 01-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Fort Erie , Ontario
Just came across in the forum for a paint on insulation which you might find usefull. Do a search on Darkspeed who has used the product HSC 1500. Web url is Super Therm® and Rust Grip® Products | Official site of Superior Products International
where you can get specs for it as well as application data from manufacturer.

Also if you search Santart in forum, he has done a restoration project similar to the one I will do when things warm up. He has some good info and photos.

Did you have a chance to look at the windows to see how they are attached? Also do you have aluminum stringers or wood supporting roof the lining?

Steve
Old 01-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I've decided, as part of the repair/remodel, I will be installing a ceiling mounted LCD TV in place of the dash mounted tube type. I found a fold up ceiling bracket from Max-Q that looks like this:

I had to rebuild the headliner anyway, so I'll be reinforcing the center area and mounting it so the monitor will hang down center unit just behind the front seats when the TV is in viewing position. I'll be adding the cable runs for 2 HDMI cables, and a power outlet as well. I’m planning on a Dish Network receiver and blu-rey player to feed the monitor by way of HDMI.

Any suggestions on what model flat screen monitor to get? I was leaning toward a LED monitor for the weight and thickness advantage. Something in the 22" to 24" range. Maybe a Samsung, LG or an Insignia unit.