Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Question installing digital thermostat for A/C

Ok folks. I need your help. I have a 2005 LY 30 mh. I would like to add a digital thermostate on the wall to replace the thermostat on the controls on the front A/C unit. Had this on my 30 Classic trailer and it was great. I can thread the wires to the wall under the ceiling material to the wall but don't know how to do the wiring at the A/C. Believe this would give a better contol of the temperature. Has anyone out there done this?? or know how to do it?
woodytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:32 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Woody, check this link: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f312...ent-97002.html

It may answer your question.

Sam
Airstream12557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Woody, we did the conversion on a '90 Classic we have, and it was already done on our '93. On the '90, I fished the wire (the hard part), had a HVAC tech do the wiring. Took a $100 worth of relays, and about an hour of his time. He did something up top, under the shroud, then the rest inside the interior ac air box. We love it.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Thanks Sam and John for your reply. I had seen the link that Sam refers to but it talks about a wall thermostat. John you talk about $100 in relays which scares the H out of me. I thought that it might be easier. Maybe I'll remove the inside cover next week and see what I have to overcome.
woodytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Woody, I had the benefit of a trusted friend to do the install, so the $100 is pretty accurate. I would not know how to even begin to do it. Not only is my friend a HVAC tech he is also a trailerist so he knows the importance of comfort/convience.

Check around your local heat/air companies, they may be able to offer some insight.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote