Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2020, 09:12 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
2001 31' Land Yacht
Landrum , South Carolina
Ignition Switch Wiring Melting

Hi. I have a 2001 LY. It had the wiring conversion done by a PO at some point where the pink wire is bypassed through a relay and up to the accessory post on the curb side engine compartment fuse panel. The fuse was upgraded on the post to a 40 amp as recommended by in the conversion/fix instructions. The fix was done as a remedy to overloading the ignition switch and the 2 connectors and appears to be a recommendation by Workhorse.

Failure to make this change can cause the switch and connectors to melt and can leave the owner stranded. I know the ignition switch was changed at least 3 times on my MH because of receipts included when I purchased it. The last fix did the bypass and it seems to have been done correctly.

The issue I'm having has to do with the black connector and the red wire coming off of it. The insulation has been scorched black and the connector is melted from an overload to the circuit. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence, but the ABS light is on and cruise control no longer works after the last trip. Could they be related?

I have two phones and a GPS connected through the cigarette lighter plug. Is this too much? What is on that red wire circuit that could be causing the overload? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've got the Workhorse Service Manual and all schematics but can't seem to understand all that is on that red wire.

Thank you.
tschager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 09:19 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2001 31' Land Yacht
Westport , Massachusetts
I have a 2000 LY30
Had to replace Ignition switch and install a continuous duty relay for the pink wire. Also replaced the harness in the column to get a new connector and housing that was melted prior.
I remember a second relay that can be helpful but would need to review my notes. Directionals/Brake circuit is overloaded by the additional lites. Also running lites exceed switch specs.

Lazy manufacturing by Airstream.
schmaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 06:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Yeah for sure.....not sure it was lazy wiring but more like ignorance which leads to incompetence in this case. Most manufacturers of motor homes and custom vans overload the marginal specs of the bare chassis headlamp switch and ignition switch by adding on additional lights and accessories without the proper additional relays or upgrading the gauge of the wiring. Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:44 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
2001 31' Land Yacht
Landrum , South Carolina
I bought a new pigtail with the black connector to the ignition switch, cleaned the contacts on the red wire male end on the ignition switch and installed the new pigtail. The red wire doesn't seem to be overheating but we haven't been on any long trips with driving 6 hours or so.

The pink wire mentioned above comes off the blue connector and, as mentioned, had been fixed some time ago by the PO. I wonder if any others have had problems with the red wire coming off the black connector to the ignition switch. As schmaco mentions, this red lead - if the Workhorse service manual schematics are correct - power the brake, marker and directional lights on the chassis.

Schmaco, if you do find that you installed a second relay somehow for this circuit please let us know. The pink wire isn't the only lead that seems to be able to overload/overheat, or so it seems at least on my LY.

Thanks for the replies!
tschager is offline   Reply With Quote