Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2014, 09:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1999 35' XL 355 w/slide
Arlington , Tennessee
icemaker

I have a question about how to shut off the water to the icemaker in my 1999 Land Yacht 355 XL on a ford Chassis. Anyone know how? As far as I can tell, the tubing just comes down into the back of the freezer with a solenoid but no other valve. It makes ice whether I want it or not.
tebreuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:04 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
If you lift the arm up inside the freezer it shuts off the timer cycling and thus the signal to the solenoid. That is the way mine has been, but you have incentivized me to see where the line is plumbed in and either add a manual valve or disconnect it so I don't accidentally stat "making ice," may even remove the unit.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
It works this way on the Clipper but yours maybe different.

The main shut off for the water supply to the ice maker is located to the front bottom of the hot water tank. Access from the hall behind the false drawer front.

The water line runs below the fridge and up the back.

I have a warning in a thread(http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...ml#post1132953 about the heat from the LPG fridge causing the defomation of the pipe.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:07 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

You gave me the idea of removing the icemaker so I have more freezer space. For my 10 ft3 Dometic the solenoid for the icemaker water is right in my face when take off the outside vent cover: the coil is covered in metal tape, with copper tubing in from the house supply and a poly line going up to go to the ice maker. I will remove the solenoid wires and carefully tape them out of the way so it can be restored if needed, then remove the ice maker this weekend. there are wires in the ice maker because the timer is in there, but I hope it just has a plug I can seal up and tape back.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I just tried removing the ice-maker head unit on mine and found that the unit wil not cool without it in place. Mine is a uline and when i ended up speaking with a uline tech service person he explained to me that there is a mechanism in the head unit that control the cooling cycle and the unit will not cool cycle without it. I had already removed the head unit and had to reinstall it. It was a real pain since it had no quick connectors for the electrical so i had cut the wires when i removed it. I had to splice each one back together. I ended up removing the "full arm" and flipped the little lever inside the head unit as it would be if the full arm was in the "up" position. It cycles just fine now and cools great but i would highly recommend leaving the head unit alone. We too wanted more space in there to store bagged ice. I started a thread on the subject that was titled "ice maker removal" i think. Do a search and you will see it.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1999 35' XL 355 w/slide
Arlington , Tennessee
icemaker

Thanks to all of you. My refrigerator is a dometic, but I was leading up to the idea of removing the icemaker for more room since we worry about the water quality of the average campground and don't drink it. I guess I will just flip the arm up and forget about it for a while.
tebreuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:05 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

I stopped a couple of steps before Mayco: when I saw that it was hardwired I stopped and put it back together. I do like the arm removal so will do that after I return from this trip: it is all cold inside the freezer right now. I also disconnected the wires to the water solenoid so there will be no fill even if the arm gets tapped down and not noticed.

I think there may be only one manufacturer of these icemakers. The one in the house in my Viking/KitchenAid fridge is almost exactly the same and it will not feed water if it thinks the freezer is too warm.