Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2006, 08:34 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Howdy, need advice

After lurking here (and on many other RV sites) and lusting for an Airstream for a long time, I convinced my wife that we could not live a full and happy life unless we purchased a 1990 33' Land Yacht! We are delighted with our decision!

The coach is in excellent (like new!) condition, but I will be more comfortable driving it when the chassis/drivetrain improvements I planned for are completed.

My problem is that the Service Writer at the RV center I contracted with to do the work called today and informed me that the Super Steer rear stabilizer bar I wanted installed will not fit, even though, according to Super Steer, it is made for the P30 chassis.

Anyone have any experience fitting a Super Steer rear stabilizer bar to a 33' Land Yacht with a tag axle?

Appreciate your feedback -- I'd really like to install a rear panhard rod on this coach, if it is possible.
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:47 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums, Taxman. I can't help you with your current problem, but I'm sure that there is another Forums member out there who knows something about this issue. Best of luck with your new coach.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Taxman, welcome to the forums. I'd be tempted to give the service manager a call and suggest he have his technician get on the phone with the folks at Super Steer.
So how about some details....mileage, condition, layout etc.
Oh, and I have to ask...."Are you from the IRS? And are you just here to help us?"
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 06:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums, always great to have another Motor Homer here. I was not aware that the Land Yacht also used the P-30 chassis, thanks for the info.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:59 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Consider coming to the Can Opener Rally, the first weekend in January. We already have over 30 units registered. We will be there with our 2000 30 ft Land Yacht, our first outing after purchasing it a couple of weeks ago.

Jim Mickle
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Taxman,
I'd suggest you give Henderson Line-up (541) 955-0769) a call they are located in Grants Pass Or. and are the makers of the Super Steer products. They are good people and I'm sure they will be very helpful. You also could email, service@hendersonslineup.com.

I just tried their web site and couldn't connect. We're having some weather out here so they could be effected.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:14 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
Welcome to the Forums, Taxman. I can't help you with your current problem, but I'm sure that there is another Forums member out there who knows something about this issue. Best of luck with your new coach.
Thank you. It is good to be here. My wife and I are looking forward to many good miles, days and nights in our "new" coach.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:51 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenCoombe
Taxman, welcome to the forums. I'd be tempted to give the service manager a call and suggest he have his technician get on the phone with the folks at Super Steer.
So how about some details....mileage, condition, layout etc.
Oh, and I have to ask...."Are you from the IRS? And are you just here to help us?"
Thank you. I'll call Super Steer on Monday and have a chat with them.

We bought a 1990 33' LY (with tag axle) from the second owner (really the first -- he bought it from a friend of his dad's who owned it a short time and unfortunately passed away). It has been kept in covered storage, and the owners were meticulous about cleanliness and routine maintenance. It looks new and is mechanically sound -- we drove it from Michigan to Florida in three and 1/2 days without a problem!

The coach (we have not named it yet) has a queen bed and all the options, including (owner added) rear color TV and "Bigfoot" levelers. It has 43,000 miles and everythihg works!

I am a "gearhead" and am having some high dollar chassis and drivetrain upgrades installed at Camping World; Bilsteins all around, two Super Steer bellcranks, a Safe Steer stabilizer, the Roadmaster sway bar kit, a Banks PowerPack and a Gear Vendors overdrive unit.

When I get it back, I'll install a MSD 6 (with MSD ignition wires, rotor and cap) and put a full tune up on it, including a three wire O2 sensor. Radiator, belts and hoses are one year old.

I'm hopeful that a way can be found to install the Super Steer (or something like it from another manufacturer) rear panhard rod, because I want all the help I can get while underway!

My "handle" is derived from my days (almost ten years!) as a Washington, DC lobbyist for the National Retail Sales Tax. I don't much care for the income tax or the IRS!
Old 12-16-2006, 11:02 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplain Kent
Welcome to the forums, always great to have another Motor Homer here. I was not aware that the Land Yacht also used the P-30 chassis, thanks for the info.
Thank you. It is good to be here as an Airstream owner instead of a "Lurker Wannabe!"

I don't know when Airstream switched to the P32 chassis -- probably in the mid-90's.

We shopped around a lot before we bought this coach. We were not as concerned with age as much as we were with condition, and originally, we wanted a 30' LY. Couldn't turn this one down, though -- it fit the budget (allowing for the known chassis/powertrain upgrades) and the owner turned out to be a very honest and forthright gentleman, because we bought it (our first motorhome), sight unseen, on the basis of emails, photos and several phone conversations! PO described it in his ad as "Cleanest one around . . . period" He was right!

In addition, we got lucky!
Old 12-16-2006, 11:06 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmickle
Consider coming to the Can Opener Rally, the first weekend in January. We already have over 30 units registered. We will be there with our 2000 30 ft Land Yacht, our first outing after purchasing it a couple of weeks ago.

Jim Mickle
Jim, thank you very much for the invitation to the Can Opener Rally. Unfortunately, we have made plans for that week and will not be able to attend.

Hope you got as good a deal on your LY as we did on ours, and that you enjoy it as much as we expect to enjoy ours.

Perhaps we can hook up later in the year?
Old 12-16-2006, 11:09 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99
Taxman,
I'd suggest you give Henderson Line-up (541) 955-0769) a call they are located in Grants Pass Or. and are the makers of the Super Steer products. They are good people and I'm sure they will be very helpful. You also could email, service@hendersonslineup.com.

I just tried their web site and couldn't connect. We're having some weather out here so they could be effected.
Thank you -- I'll do just that. I'd really like to be able to install their panhard rod on my coach.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:30 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Welcome! Congrat's on your purchase. Glad to see another member in "Jaguar" country
vonkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:48 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonkamp
Welcome! Congrat's on your purchase. Glad to see another member in "Jaguar" country
It is great to be here!

Go Jags!
Old 12-24-2006, 07:56 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Smile

Quote:
"I'd suggest you give Henderson Line-up (541) 955-0769) a call they are located in Grants Pass Or."
Thanks for the tip. I called them FRiday and was informed that the tag axle was the problem -- not enough room between the drive axle and tag axle.

I'm not going to give up on the panhard rod, though. As soon as I can, I'm going underneath to find out if one can be engineered for it.