Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2016, 11:26 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
How to upgrade your toilet in 3 weekends

My project to replace the plastic toilet with a tall porcelan model seems to have taken a turn. The closet flange was in the wrong orientation, and by the time I got it, and the cabinetry out, I discovered that the platform was not really attached to the coach! It was literall just resting on the top of the black water tank.

Long story short, I finally got everything out of the bathroom to design a new flooring system. But reached an impass, in that there appears to be a bend in the existing flooring, right where a guy would stand and do his business...

First off, I had to remove the carpet to see the floor. This Bosch gizmo turned out to be the best tool I have purchased in awhile. Used as a cutter at the edge of the wall, it is above a razor knife by about the same amount a razor knife is above a rock.

Once I got the carpet clear, I had enough sand under the pad to start a small childrens playground.
Don't know if this wood was this...crappy when installd, or if repeated dousings with water washed away the glue. But it is so rough it is unsuitable to put down vinyl flooring. So this had to be replaced as a minimum.

If you look at the straightedge, there is about a 1/2" gap at BOTH the left or right hand wall, depending upon which side the teeter-totter is resting on.

Unfortunately, nothing is actually level, so I have to guess which side is correct... Based upon a normal 200lb guy standing in front of the head, my guess is that this is the side that needs to be raised in elevation. Otherwise the vinyl flooring will literally have a crease at the high point. Guess thats why so many manufacturer's use a carpet and pad - it covers so many sins...
Here is a rough mock-up of the new design.

Full width board at the left, resting on the chassis and screwed to the wall:
the original board was 6" long, and held in place with (2) screws...

New intermediate board to support the new platform as it spans the black water tank top; resting/screwed to the chassis with steel angle iron.

Another new piece, perpendicular to the intermediate member - I need to replace this with one without a knot at the mid point.... This will rest on a new aluminum angle screwed to the right had wall, and provide support for the bathroom cabinet. The original AS design had a 1x2 screwed to the bottom of the cabinet, that literally rested on top of the insulation covering the plastic wheel well.

Finally, a new 1/2" plywood floor. I will be using 2" wide x 18" length door skins to build up the saggy floor in front of the new toilet, and then epoxy/screw the new floor to the old. Then put in the new platform; and THEN install the new toilet. I figure all the demo, design, and prep work has taken about 3 weekends; while the actuall toilet install will take about an hour...

Oh. I also sprayed closed not 1, not 2, but 3 mouse holes that were under the toilet platform. I'll get some pics this weekend and add them to the mouse thread.
And the wife wonders why I'm so slow...
pago cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote