Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
How do you remove the backup monitor and camera?

I have the Sony backup monitor in my 36' 92 LY. The monitor got water inside when the water leaked in from the overhead end cap seam. Now that I'm trying to clean up the loose ends I'm working on getting the backup camera working. The problem I'm having is I can't seem to see a way to remove the monitor from the dash for either repair or replacement. Any ideas on how to remove the unit from the dash? I think the camera is OK but again, I can't see a way to remove it either. I removed the outside front face cover, but I can't get access to either the mounting screws or the side screws. Do I have to access it from inside the bedroom?
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Yours must be different from my Clipper. The Clipper has a camera cover that, once removed, gives access to the camera, solenoid, etc.

The monitor on the Clipper would be disconnected from the mounting rail in the dash and pull out for removal.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I was able to get the monitor out by removing the 4 screws on the dash faceplate. I would have never thought that AS would have just used that thin plastic artificial wood front facing as the only support for the monitor. No wonder one of the screw holes was cracked.

The camera is still an issue. Can't figure out how to access its mounting screws from the outside. The mounting screws go straight down into wood with the camera in the way and the side screws are obscured on the roadside by the rear cap. The camera is mounted offset to the roadside so you can access the curbside screw but not the roadside.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Could you take some pictures of the camera? Also, have you tried calling Airstream Customer Support? I've found them to be fairly helpful most of the time and the number listed in the link is toll free!
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
This is going to sound like a strange question, but I didn't think of this until I pulled the monitor out. Does the MH have to be in reverse in order to get a picture? On mine I would get a lit screen but no picture or audio, but I was always in park. I never tried it in reverse. What got me thinking was that there were 3 wires going to the power connector and I've heard of monitors that didn't show a picture until the unit was in reverse.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
On my Clipper, the Sony system will work when powered with the button on the monitor. I can turn it on and watch and listen to anyone talking in the vicinity of the rear of my motorhome when parked. Great for security checks at night.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
This is going to sound like a strange question, but I didn't think of this until I pulled the monitor out. Does the MH have to be in reverse in order to get a picture? On mine I would get a lit screen but no picture or audio, but I was always in park. I never tried it in reverse. What got me thinking was that there were 3 wires going to the power connector and I've heard of monitors that didn't show a picture until the unit was in reverse.
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
I just spoke with a person at RVCAMS.COM. They told me that they do a free in house check up. If I send in my camera and monitor, they will verify what is working and recommend a replacement. Anyone else have any dealings with them? They sound like a reputable company that specializes in motor home cameras.

Now if I can just figure out how to get the camera out.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
If you remove the mirror above the bed between the upper cabinets you have accessto the camera to remove it

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Thanks gloran! That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure. I'll check it out tonight. If I can get the camera out I'll be able to send it and the monitor off to be checked. I'm hoping that the problem is with the camera and not the monitor. It would be easier to source out a compatible camera then a monitor that fits the original space in the dash. If it is the monitor I might as well buy a newer color system and run a new cable from front to back.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Victory!!! 4 screws around the mirror and I now have access to the back of the camera. Talk about some questionable engineering though. The camera was mounted to a wood piece using a piece of Romax power cable as a spacer between the bracket and the wood. Screws were loose enough to allow the camera to move around. I don't know if this is a PO issue or just AS shooting from the hip during construction.

Suggestions on what direction I should go. New backup camera system? Repair factory system?

Cost is important, but I would consider new if the cost isn't too crazy.

Anyone thinking of dumping their factory backup camera? I may be interested in picking up a used working system if the price is right.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Camera and monitor were sent out today for inspection by RV Cams Inc. I should know, some time next week, weather the camera or monitor is the culprit.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Keep us posted as to the outcome. You could probably use your existing cable for a the video if you have to replace camera and or monitor. I installed a backup camera and a navigation system in my 2000 Yukon about three years ago. It was a big project, mostly modifying the dash to accommodate the larger head unit. Here's a reference to my thread in another forum about the subject.

If you have any technical questions about installing a new unit (if required), post them up here and I'll try to lend a hand. I'm a retired aviation electronics engineer and I did this sort of thing for a living.

Steve
Old 05-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
back view camera

Good thread.
My camera runs all the time when the engine is on (I feel safer that way,
I'd hate to back over something).
Question: When you removed the camera via the mirror over the back window, could you clean the inside of the glass cover?
Old 05-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Yep, once the mirror was out I could get the camera out by removing two screws and disconnecting a connector (taped but easy to remove). After that I had clear access to the camera cover with the clear lens.

Really it's just as easy to get to the inside by unscrewing the 4 screws on the outside housing. I'd assume that it would be a pretty good idea to remove it and reseal it anyway. After 20 years it's pretty dry and is a good source of a leak. You can't remove the camera by way of the rear housing, but you sure can get to the rear lens easier that way.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
92landyacht,
What have you found out about the health of your backup camera system?

Steve
Old 06-23-2012, 06:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
It turned out to be a bad camera. They had a Voyager replacement camera that worked with the Sony monitor and provided an adaptor cable for $200.

I installed the new camera and everything is now working fine. The only issues I had to resolve with the new camera were with repositioning the mount and I had to block off the inferred LEDs. The LEDs reflected off the OEM lens cover and caused white spots on the image. I used black electrical tape to block them and now I get a clean image. I could have kept the night vision system capability intact if I had mounted the camera on the outside, but I wanted to keep the OEM look. Didn't effect the cameras visibility in anything but complete dark conditions. I'm assuming that it's no worse then the original camera was in dark conditions.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Sounds good...all's well that ends well!