Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2018, 09:44 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Having fuel problems

Went to move the MH after doing a complete battery replacement (both coach and chassis). Went to start the engine and it started but died after about 10 seconds. Couldn't get it started again. Dumped some gas down the TB and it fired and ran for a short time and then died again. Obviously a fuel related issue. If I wait a few minutes it will fire and run for a short time but again it dies. When I have no fire I see no fuel coming from the injectors. I picked up a fuel pressure test kit on loan from Autozone and plan to verify if the fuel pump is the issue. I contacted Good Sam and they said I was covered for free towing to the nearest truck repair center. If it turns out to be the fuel pump, what would be the easiest way to replace it. The fuel tank is completely filled with 80 gallons of gas so it would be a bear to drop unless I empty it. I've heard that you can cut a hole in the floor to access the pump but don't know of anyone who's done in on a 92 LY 36 footer with a P30 chassis.

The MH is parked in a location that would make it very hard for a tow truck to pick it up by the front right now. If I can get her backed up and straight I would make that option much easier.

Suggestions would be good. I was planning on doing a radiator replacement so that could be done as well if I can get it to a shop. I do have a trip planned and paid for around October 10 so I would like to get her going ASAP.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:27 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1999 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
Fullerton , California
I had an older Pinnacle on the P30 chassis. You might check the inline fuel filters, there is one that runs along the frame near the fuel tank and one up by the engine. If they haven't been changed in a while they could be plugged.
TinPeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Don't think it's a filter problem since it does flow well when it's working. Just before the engine stalls the fuel just cuts off coming out of the injector. like either the pressure just stopped or the injector signal stopped. I did verify that there is voltage at the injector when it wont stop so I don't think it's an ECU problem. It is the original fuel pump and the fuel filter was replaced last year. I have a replacement anyways so I will replace it once I check fuel pressure. I can tap the pressure gauge into the line exiting the fuel filter to verify pressure at the TB. Still betting that it's the pump since the more I run it the better it gets. Now I'm getting a check engine light but I believe it's from the engine stalling due to low fuel while in closed loop mode. I'll clear the code by disconnecting the battery for an hour and see if the code comes back. Haven't been able to find the ODB1 connector yet so reading the code is a little problematic.

Anyone have any idea if the fuel pump can be accessed from inside on a 92 LY P30 36' chassis? I'm thinking that, once I get the MH back on solid concrete, I can lower the jacks and see if I can locate the pump under the floor. If I can cut a hole inside to access the pump, than I can do the work myself. Just hoping that the pump is not located under the bed. That would make it a bit harder since the fresh water tank is under there.

May save the road side assistance for getting the MH to the mechanic for the radiator replacement later in the year. Right now I just need to get the time to verify fuel pressure before I decide on what to do.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Turns out to be a bad distributor and injector controller. Should be up a running in a couple days.