Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2021, 05:54 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Concord , California
Has anyone installed an inverter in their Land Yacht?

In my 2000 the house batteries are under the hood. I know you need to mount the inverter close to the batteries to keep the cables short to avoid voltage loss but that area is exposed to the elements. I'm not seeing an obvious solution to this conundrum.
Telewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:40 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Land Yacht
Fort Collins , Colorado
I have two small inverters in my rig. One in the bedroom for the tv and one mounted under the glove box for front tv. Using smaller inverters in specific locations may be an easier way to do it vs a whole RV inverter system.
Captain Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:46 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Concord , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Paul View Post
I have two small inverters in my rig. One in the bedroom for the tv and one mounted under the glove box for front tv. Using smaller inverters in specific locations may be an easier way to do it vs a whole RV inverter system.
The main reason for an inverter was to power my coffee maker and vacuum cleaner. I bought a cordless vacuum and a Melita pour over coffee system and can just use the small inverter I have that plugs into a cigarette lighter outlet to charge batteries. Problem solved and money saved!
Old 01-24-2021, 01:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Check to see where your house battery charger/power supply is. In my case it was located inside the coach, under the dash on the passenger's side. Already had the heavy duty cables needed for the inverter. I was able to install an 1800W pure sinewave inverter to power the entertainment system and ice maker.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:57 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Concord , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
Check to see where your house battery charger/power supply is. In my case it was located inside the coach, under the dash on the passenger's side. Already had the heavy duty cables needed for the inverter. I was able to install an 1800W pure sinewave inverter to power the entertainment system and ice maker.
How did you get the 120v to your entertainment center and icemaker? A dedicated outlet or extension cord? Or did you wire it into the control panel with a transfer switch?
Old 01-26-2021, 06:02 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
In my case, I was able to put the inverter on the side of the center table between the two barrel chairs. If needed I could run the ice maker on the table and an extension cable to the entertainment system.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:02 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
, OH
I installed a 2000 W inverter in the compartment behind the drivers seat.
I wanted it on the back wall of the compartment. Ran two heavy cables from the two batteries under the hood to the inverter. Then installed a remote on off switch for the inverter on the wall next to the sink just near the couch. Using Romax number 14 I installed a heavy three prong plug to go into the inverter. Ran Romax straight up into the area of the couch where the wall backs to the driver area. On that wall I installed a 4 x 4 work box with two duplex receptacles. From that 4 x 4 work box with four outlets Iran different circuits where I wanted them. All outlets are single duplex receptacles. Locations of outlets: behind drivers seat, under glove box where feet of passenger are, on/under wall of rear seat area of dinette
, in bathroom, next to the toilet, in rear compartment, in cabinet over kitchen sink next door exhaust fan. In the bedroom below the TV just above the shelf that is the lower shelf.
All these outlets have a distinct purpose.
For example the outlet at the foot of the passenger seat powers the TV. Of course the original TV was replaced years ago. This allows the TV to be used anytime we want.
Forgot to mention the inverter is turned on when we leave home. And turned off when we return home. 4,5,6 weeks, whatever.
The outlet behind the drivers seat energizes almost all of our Apple devices. The Moho "laptop" used to show our GPS position on the TV gets its power from the same outlet as the tv.
Running the Romex just takes the time, but the main reason ....there is no connection .....to any wiring of the motor home.. pff
Old 01-28-2021, 06:46 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Concord , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by loreepeter View Post
I installed a 2000 W inverter in the compartment behind the drivers seat.
I wanted it on the back wall of the compartment. Ran two heavy cables from the two batteries under the hood to the inverter. Then installed a remote on off switch for the inverter on the wall next to the sink just near the couch. Using Romax number 14 I installed a heavy three prong plug to go into the inverter. Ran Romax straight up into the area of the couch where the wall backs to the driver area. On that wall I installed a 4 x 4 work box with two duplex receptacles. From that 4 x 4 work box with four outlets Iran different circuits where I wanted them. All outlets are single duplex receptacles. Locations of outlets: behind drivers seat, under glove box where feet of passenger are, on/under wall of rear seat area of dinette
, in bathroom, next to the toilet, in rear compartment, in cabinet over kitchen sink next door exhaust fan. In the bedroom below the TV just above the shelf that is the lower shelf.
All these outlets have a distinct purpose.
For example the outlet at the foot of the passenger seat powers the TV. Of course the original TV was replaced years ago. This allows the TV to be used anytime we want.
Forgot to mention the inverter is turned on when we leave home. And turned off when we return home. 4,5,6 weeks, whatever.
The outlet behind the drivers seat energizes almost all of our Apple devices. The Moho "laptop" used to show our GPS position on the TV gets its power from the same outlet as the tv.
Running the Romex just takes the time, but the main reason ....there is no connection .....to any wiring of the motor home.. pff
That's very ambitious! Sounds like you have designed your system well to suit your needs.

I bought 12v TVs with built in DVD players, a rechargeable battery powered vacuum, and manual drip stove top coffee system so I can forgo the expense and labor of a high wattage inverter. I installed 12v receptacles in the bedroom for keeping phones and tablets charged and I have a small inverter I can plug in any of the four 12v receptacles in the coach to charge batteries. The only time I need 120v is for the microwave and the roof AC units. For them I'll run the generator. I think this will work for me.