Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2007, 05:00 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Gearhead needs help!

I am a self-confessed gearhead, always looking for "just a little bit more [power, fuel economy, longevity, speed -- whatever -- fill in the blank]" in my vehicles.

I am desirous of rechipping my "new" (to DW and myself) 1990 LY 33 footer. Alread have a Banks PowePack and Gear Vendors installed, now I want a new chip to take even more advantage of them.

Problem is, I cannot locate the ECU (computer). I need to give some basic information to the gent who is going to burn me a new EPROM. The information is on the ECU.

So, to get "a little bit more," I'll need to find the ECU so I can send this basic info to him.

Help? Please? Anybody know where Airstream hid my computer?

33' 1990 Airstream Land Yacht: Edelbrock, Banks, Gear Vendors, MSD, Taylor wires, Super Steer bell cranks, Bilsteins, Roadmaster sway bar, Safe Steer, Pressure Pro, Crossfire, Bigfoot levelers, Rickson 7.5" rims & 245/70 R19.5 Bridgestones on steer axle.
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Well this probably isn't much help to you but....

I've had some Fords that had them buried in the dash or in the trunk.
I've seen some Chevy's with them in the dash.
Not sure on Mopar.

I'd check in the dash as a start. Maybe open the glove box and remove the inner part of it and look back in there. It's a start....

If that doesn't help, maybe you could locate a wiring diagram on here and find it that way.

Good luck!
Old 02-05-2007, 05:45 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Follow the yellow brick road...

Also known as the wiring harness coming from the distributor. Follow the wires until you find the ECM.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:25 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Thank you, gentlemen. I have looked in all the "usual" places, and have not located it yet.

It is a 1990 33' Land Yacht motorhome on a P30 Chevrolet chassis. The 1990 Chevrolet P30 Service Manual I bought says it is located "in the cab," but does not give a specific location.

I was hoping some LY owner would see my request for help.

33' 1990 Airstream Land Yacht: Edelbrock, Banks, Gear Vendors, MSD, Taylor wires, Super Steer bell cranks, Bilsteins, Roadmaster sway bar, Safe Steer, Pressure Pro, Crossfire, Bigfoot levelers, Rickson 7.5" rims & 245/70 R19.5 Bridgestones on steer axle.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
fwiw....

in Chevy vans it's often in the passenger side kick panel... just forward of the door opening. There is an access plate to get to it.

Other thoughts -
under the seat
behind the glove box (Dodge van - had to dissemble the glove box to get to it)

I agree - try following some wiring harness from the distributer and see where it goes.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:55 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1990 33' Land Yacht
Jacksonville , Florida
Thanks, Marc. Will look again tomorrow.

Still hoping that someone who has a LY would have found theirs and could tell me where they found it?