Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
New Bern , North Carolina
Front TV Replacement

I have a 2003 30' Land Yacht that has a glass tube TV mounted in the dash. I want to replace it with a digital flat panel to eliminate the need for the converter and just an overall update. Has anyone taken this on as a project. If so, I would be grateful for any information and tips you would be willing to share with me. Thanks.
Steve
spat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
How you replace it might depend on the size.
A friend has a motorhome, not an airstream, that as a fairly large TV mounted in the center of a ceiling cabinet. We found that the inside of the cabinet was a strong metal box, with access from behind. After removing the old TV, a 32" flat screen will just fit the width of the space. Universal angle iron, the kind with all of the holes, will be run from one side of the box to the other, and the new TV will be mounted to it using the mounting holes on the back of the TV. The braces will be installed so that the TV will fit at the very front of the existing box.

Check out this idea. It may work for you without a lot of modification.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by spat61 View Post
I have a 2003 30' Land Yacht that has a glass tube TV mounted in the dash. I want to replace it with a digital flat panel to eliminate the need for the converter and just an overall update. Has anyone taken this on as a project. If so, I would be grateful for any information and tips you would be willing to share with me. Thanks.
Steve
Can eliminate the converter if you replace with a 12v input tv, not many use 12v, polaroid makes a 12 inch one where it is supplied by a wall cube that converts 120 to 12 dc.
My plan is to replace with a 22 inch lcd that will fit using a wall bracket on the side wall inside the space of the original mounting space. I will know if my plan will work by end of next week when the stuff gets here.

I will use the extra space at the bottom to put the satillite box when I find the right one, that way remote will only have to shoot in one direction.
Dave
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
... eliminate the need for the converter...
Steve
Converter takes 120 and makes 12v, inverter changes 12v and delivers 120v. So I you might not be able to eliminate either with change of tv as the tv uses the inverter while you are not plug in to shorepower, and when plugged in by converting 120 to 12v for use by the inverter to convert back to 120v.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Steve

I think the converter you are talking about is the one which will be needed after June, 12, 2009 to convert the digital over-the-air TV signal to analog in order to be viewed on older, analog TVs.

Right?
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
Steve

I think the converter you are talking about is the one which will be needed after June, 12, 2009 to convert the digital over-the-air TV signal to analog in order to be viewed on older, analog TVs.

Right?
Converter 1 = Airstream's answer to 12v power when hooked to shorepower, another name would be battery charger, but it takes the place of a charger.

Converter 2 = set top box for tv change from analog to digital, not needed when you do an upgrade to a digital tv.

I agree.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:46 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , South Dakota
We have a 1995 30' Cutter that had the tube TV in the front. We replaced it with a flatscreen that covers the hole nicely. My husband raised it up a bit and made shelves in the hole for his Xbox, /dvd player, and satellite doohicky. I'll direct him to this thread so he can be more spacific We will be in New Bern in a couple of weeks!
Old 03-22-2009, 08:50 PM   #8
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
Quote:
Steve
I've done this conversion on our rig. Let me know if you are still looking for some help.
BarnacleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Steve
Replaced with a 22 inch hd digital lcd and used a wall bracket to attach, made a catch, still needs a gasket to isolate it from rubbing the plastic surround.
While I was doing modifcations in the area, I reinstalled all the screwed up a/c vent tubes crushed when intallers needed more room for the larger 2000 model tv while shoving it in, finished checking and replacing vacuum lines chewed by squirrel or mouse. Changed location of tv electric outlet that only works while parked, ignition on, cuts the electric. Installed an inverter in the extra space and a shelf to hold dvd player and future satillite receiver. Even had room to install a 3 socket 12v receptacle.
Dave
Old 07-02-2009, 10:18 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1993 33' Land Yacht
Spring , Texas
We have a 1993 Land Yacht MH and need some advice. I need to get to the dach ac fan and relays behind the tv in the center of the consoule. I use to have all this done but am retired now and have plenty of time on my hands. Could anyone tell me what all I have to take loose to get the tv out to acces what I need to? I have no high speed fan but the 3 lower speeds work ok, and the 30amp fuse that feeds to the hi speed fan relay is ok.
porourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by porourke View Post
We have a 1993 Land Yacht MH and need some advice. I need to get to the dach ac fan and relays behind the tv in the center of the consoule. I use to have all this done but am retired now and have plenty of time on my hands. Could anyone tell me what all I have to take loose to get the tv out to acces what I need to? I have no high speed fan but the 3 lower speeds work ok, and the 30amp fuse that feeds to the hi speed fan relay is ok.
My was TV held in by screws and plastic surround, screws covered with plastic buttons, easy to see front ones but the side two had 3 inch screws with different covers so may have been added by someone else.

My relay is above the motor under the doghouse left side of firewall just to the right of drivers gas pedal foot, but for the fans high speed someone fixed by adding a 30 fuse and wire in front of the radiator.

Will be on the road for the rest of the month testing all my fixes and modification or should I say improvements

Dave
Old 07-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1993 33' Land Yacht
Spring , Texas
Well Everybody I got the shroud that holds the tv in off but to get it all the way off and let it hang by the cable that feeds the switches on the left hand side I had to remove 4 screws out of 8 that hold the instrument panel part of the dash out so I could lift the right side of the panel up just enough to get the tab part of the tv shroud out from underneath it. Had to do the same thing to the glove compartment side. TV came right out, unpluged the power and coax cords and set it aside. I looked all over the place but could not find the blower or assocated relays. All the air ducts go to the left of the tv compartment. Immediately to the left of the tv opening there is a sheet metal bracket that covers every thing, below it is the controler for the HWH jacks system, all kind of cables with plugs on them but no blower or relays or blower. I am pretty sure their on the other side of the sheet metal bracket, I willl have to remove the instrument panel part of the dash to get to it. One thing did work out ok, ever since we bought the coach the tv was pluged in to the only cigerette lighter on the dash. I found a cigarette lighter plug that was on the metal bracket I mentioned so I pluged the tv into it but ti would not come on with the ignition on or not. Got to checking and found a blown fuse marked dash tv in the fuse block under the storage compartment just in front of the coach end of the engine cowling. Replaced it and the TV works as long as you dont turn the ignition on, which is the way it should work.

Although our coach is a 93 land yacht it is different than most of them. The batteries are not in the step well area and there is no kill relay for them. They are in front on the left hand side of the radiator. Also we dont have the electric pump setup for the AutoPark setup, they pick up pressure of the power steering pump.
I ordered a second Operators manual that was supose to be the right one but it is identical to the one that came with the coach.

To make a long story short I still need help in getting to the blower and relays!
Do I have to remove the left side of the dash to get to it?
Old 07-06-2009, 06:17 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I put in a 19". It works great. The airstream does not have much distance from you and the TV. 19" is more then you would need. We also put it on a swivel wall plate so we can move it around.

It is in these pictures I took.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...cal-53336.html

Brian
Old 07-06-2009, 06:54 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I put in a 15" flat screen. This is the perfect size for my trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6190108.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	83487  

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #15
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
1995 Land Yacht TV replacement and blower fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by porourke View Post
Well Everybody I got the shroud that holds the tv in off but to get it all the way off and let it hang by the cable that feeds the switches on the left hand side I had to remove 4 screws out of 8 that hold the instrument panel part of the dash out so I could lift the right side of the panel up just enough to get the tab part of the tv shroud out from underneath it. Had to do the same thing to the glove...

To make a long story short I still need help in getting to the blower and relays!
Do I have to remove the left side of the dash to get to it?
I thought I'd share my experience in the TV area of the dash board. First I am wondering what chassis your coach is built on. The reason I ask is that ours is on a Ford chassis and the fan is not in the dash area but in front of the firewall and accessible through the front hatch where the radiator and starting battery live. In other words we don't have to remove anything from the inside of the coach to access the fan motor.

We replaced the CRT (Tube) type TV with a Sony 24" flat screen. I built some shelves that fit in the space where the old TV lived and the shelves hold our Satellite receiver, DVD recorder-player and the Xbox. I hope I am attaching a picture.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:13 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1993 33' Land Yacht
Spring , Texas
Ours is on a Chevy p30 chasie. I dont intend to redo our tv setup. We never use the one thats there. What I am trying to find out from any of the menbers that might know Is on my 1993 Land Yacht MH is were the high speed fan relay for the dash AC is located and what do I have to do to acess it.

Thanks - Pat

PS. Your mod looks good! I saved it to the HD so We could blow it up and take a closer look.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:18 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1996 33' Land Yacht
tucson , Arizona
Flat screen TV

I have a 1996 Land Yacht. Made the conversion from the old tube type to a new flat screen.

First try and figure what and where any bolts and screws that are holding the TV in place. I was able to find all except one. The TV wigged but wouldn't come out. Finally I decided to just pry it apart since I was not going to keep the old set any way. Turned out to be a bolt through the chassis that had its head covered by insulating material (typical Air Stream construction).

Then the fun part, shopping for one that would fit. This turned out to be one of the "lucky" projects! Found one that fit like a glove and was a 20 inch. Shopped Ebay fo new audio and S video cables and ran them because I like an excellent picture.

Fabricated two small brackets to hold the TV in the original hole.

Picture enclosed. Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2184.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	83648  
pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 11:00 PM   #18

1995 34' Land Yacht LE
La Mesa , California
Pacer: Nice work. I have a 95 and want to do the same. Is that a 110V TV? Do you know the model number?

Thanks,
Dave
LaMesaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:06 AM   #19
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
On my '95 the TV is a Sony Model No. KVL S23A10, it's a 2005, so probably not on the market any more.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:24 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1996 33' Land Yacht
tucson , Arizona
Front TV

Dave,

It's a Phillips 20PF5120/28. It will run off AC or DC but be careful when purchasing a DC TV. Make sure that it will run off 12 VDC. Most require somewhat more voltage. This Phillips requires 16 VDC.

I use the AC converter either on AC when available or via the inverter when dry camping. The TV and satallite receiver will work for around 4 hours on fully charged house batteries.

Doubt if you can get this same model as it was discontinued. No digital tuner. I use mine with Dish Network and their receiver provides digital input so no problem.

Good luck.
pacer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rear view tv, motorhome, replace