Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2018, 10:25 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
Existance or Location of Converter Fuse?

Have not been on the site in awhile. Apparently long enough to lose posting privileges; that a mod has kindly re-set. Thanks!

1996 30' Land Yacht.
Here in AZ, we usually keep the MoHome plugged in with ceiling fans running in a temp activated push-in/suck-out configuration.

Had some monsoonal storms around the house when we were on a non- MoHome vacation, and now I have no converter. Ergo, no fans.

There is AC power to the converter plug; but there is no 12VDC to the coach fuse block aft of the engine cover.

Did some googling, and some posts seem to indicate that there is a 12VDC fuse on the output of the converter?

Without yet pulling the converter, I can find nothing so labelled near the converter or in the 12vdc cable to the fuse block. I guess I'll pull the converter next, but in their infinite wisdom, the installer used sheet metal screws through the converter mounting flange to secure the wood blocking that the carpeted panel screws to. Those are now apparently rusted tight; looks like a job for a couple prybars and a sawzall now... after I pull the seat to get my less-svelte-than-it-use-to-be body into that area to work in...

Before I go down that road... can anybody confirm if there is indeed a fuse on the factory converter? And if so, where is it hidden?

TIA.
pago cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 12:05 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Twenty years is a good long life for the factory converter. The fuse (if that's what the issue is) blew for a reason (= something broke). Replacing the beast is a < $200 and < 1 hour sort of job. The converter you replace it with will do a much better job than the old one was doing after 20 years .... Get the converter from somebody you can talk to on the phone and who has some idea of how they work. You might pay a little more than Amazon .... it's well worth it .....

======

If it was a modern converter, there would be a fuse / pair of fuses built into the unit, inside the enclosure. Their main purpose would be reverse polarity protection. When they go on a modern unit, that's not a good sign. I have no idea if the 1996 Land Yacht version was set up that way or not.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
I would find it unlikely that a device like a converter would not have a built in fuse or at least is fused. That goes against most codes and ethics. Not to say someone before you hasn't done it. Either way you need to pull the converter and check. Some units have internal fusing in some cases soldered to the board. This was an early practice. Check for that. Most converters just fail do to the constant pounding it takes on the road and the circuit board usually develops cracked solder joints. Some already are compromised by cold solder joints. I've repaired more than one converter with this issue.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 02:22 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
Thanks gents.
I also thought there had to be one - somewhere. Have not yet got to it... Will post a result, whatever I find.
pago cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 07:47 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Your batteries need to stay topped off to keep them healthy ... hopefully you have a way to do that.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote