Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2007, 07:56 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
New Bern , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Frank,

Be careful what you use as all products are NOT compatible with each other. Stay with one company's products.
Lew,
My 2003 AS LY has a fibreglass roof with metal end caps. What should I use on seams , around the edges, sunroof, fans? Must I remove all old caulk? If Eternbons is so great and last for years, why not use it everywhere? So many different opinions. I'm confused and now I don't know what to use.. Help! Thanks.
Steve
spat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:47 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
[quote=spat61]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Frank,

Be careful what you use as all products are NOT compatible with each other. Stay with one company's products.
Lew,
My 2003 AS LY has a fibreglass roof with metal end caps. What should I use on seams , around the edges, sunroof, fans? Must I remove all old caulk? If Eternbons is so great and last for years, why not use it everywhere? So many different opinions. I'm confused and now I don't know what to use.. Help! Thanks.
Steve
Hi Steve,

The eternabond product is a good one, but I prefer (as most major MoHo manufacturers do) Dicor Self-leveling sealant. This is what the big guys use to seal up any roof opening on modern RV's.

The best feature of the Dicor is that you can re-apply more sealant right over the old stuff if ever needed.

Hope this helps.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:39 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Sealing the roof of an Airstream Land Yacht Motorhome

Frank,
We have a 1994 Land Yacht Motorhome with the "pebbled" surface you spoke of. (I think it's arubber roof) When we got it 3 years ago it had some dry areas on the pebbled surface and the caulk around the roof applainces need to be re-caulked.
I used Cool seal in a caulking tube around all the roof decorations and the edge of the pebbled areas. Then I used a roller to coat the entire surface.
Three years and no leaks. I noticed it should be ready for another coatiing next spring before we start our 100 nights a year on the road.
Cool Seal is available at Camping World and HOME DEPOT in both tube and gallon cans. It takes a tube and 1 1/2 gallons for a good coating on our 35 foot diesel pusher.
Nothing I've read has made me look further for a solution.
Happy Air-Streaming.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:28 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Noblesville , Indiana
Liquid Roof

Unless someone can talk me out of it, I think I am going to liguid EPDM next spring. I have heard nothing but favorable coments on this system. Go here if you are interested: Liquid Roof & Liquid Rubber- Residential and Commercial Roofing for roof leaks
Old 10-27-2007, 10:21 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunworks
Unless someone can talk me out of it, I think I am going to liguid EPDM next spring. I have heard nothing but favorable coments on this system. Go here if you are interested: Liquid Roof & Liquid Rubber- Residential and Commercial Roofing for roof leaks
Interesting!

I've used similar products before, but they all require a clean roof surface and the use of a primer. I have a problem with a product that says it will adhere to a roof that has not been prepped properly.

Like applying any coating, be it paint, EPDM, gel coat, acrylic, urethane, etc., the prep is most important!

How is a product to adhere to a surface that is dirty? Maybe it's a miracle product, but I would be very leary about it. I'm sure that it's a good product, but again, the lack of prep bothers me..............
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 07:44 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Noblesville , Indiana
Lew,

Instructions dictate a thorough soap and water cleaning, patching any cracks and free of any loose paint, dirt and biologicals (mold), and completely dry. Don't think I would put over anything but a totally prepped surface. This stuff sounds like my ideal product for years of trouble free operation. Since it is a rubber polimer, it will expand and contract with the temperature.
I will post in the spring and supply photos as it is installed.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:48 AM   #27
Alumination

2005 28' Safari
Hillsboro , Texas
Send a message via MSN to njoysrvin
Taxman, I used Eternabond on two motorhomes to both stop and prevent leaks with great success. The pebbly surface texture is not a problem. Follow the recommendations on Eternabond's website regarding surface preparation. To err on the side of caution, call the Airstream factory to verify the material used to manufacture the roof, also check the manual for maintenance recommendations.
njoysrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:04 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Noblesville , Indiana
Liquid roof

Lew,

Cleaned the roof, re-caulked and used the liquid EPDM rubber roof. Took about three hours to apply, but the result is beautiful and roof now has a 20 mil thick brilliant white coating from bow to stern (it is a Yacht after all). After two months, it still looks like new as dirt just seems to run right off after a rain. I don't think I will be seeing any roof troubles for many years. Very happy with the result. Be prepared to throw away any clothes you are wearing while installing. I think I had as much on me as the roof when done.

Pictures at next post.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:32 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Noblesville , Indiana
EPDM roof

Here are the before and after photos of the new rubber roof. Not only does it seal up the roof but finding a remarkable temperature drop inside and less noise as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roof before.JPG
Views:	401
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	65954   Click image for larger version

Name:	roof after.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	341.6 KB
ID:	65955