Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
AIR #6370

2001 27' Safari
Bella Vista , Arkansas
Engine Air Filters

I'd like to know of those who have the P30 and P32 Workhorse chassis, how you are water proofing the housing for your air filter which is located in the right front wheel well?

Very recently I encountered some engine power lost while driving in the rain. Several days later I opened the air filter housing and found that my air filter was very damp. Several months ago I did replace the air filter and tried to duct tape the housing to keep out any water thrown by the right front tire. I'm sure this may have helped some.

I'm considering the possibility of using a K&N cone type filter and locating it in the front engine compartment somewhere behind the right front head light housing. Unfortunately, I think the price of such a unit might be in the range of $235+.

Thanks for any tips you folks can provide.
hmsteader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
I don`t know anything about your rig,but I do run a K& N filter on my Chevy,it seemed to give it a little more power. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We have 3 vehicles ('01 Excursion, '95 Mustang, '05 Mustang). All 3 have K&N filters on them. Improved performance without any noticeable change in gas mileage. I think they are a great, well made and thought out product. Easy to install and worth the money IMO. If you can keep road water out of your filter and engine by making the change, that seems like a plus in my book.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:51 AM   #4
AIR #6370

2001 27' Safari
Bella Vista , Arkansas
Question Engine Air Filters

Thank you for your reply. I, too, have used the K&N air filter in my Dodge-Cummins for about 10 yrs and have good results.

The real problem is how to keep the paper air filter dry. Even when the paper air filter does dry out, it does not allow for sufficient air flow causing some power lost and increased fuel comsumption.

Does anyone ever check the air filter on their Work Horse chassis? So, how do you keep the air filter and the housing dry?
hmsteader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
I've used K&N on my car-type vehicles, lately put on a new, similar product from afe, another performance filter that claims to have deeper pleats for more surface area.

The orginal owner of my moho brought it to Banks (www.banskpower.com) and had the intake and exhaust upgraded, so it sounds great and is reputed to have more power & better mileage (usually about 9-11 with toad and a heavy foot). Banks may offer an upgraded intake for your model, check their website.

An engine is "just" an air pump, and uses the right amount of fuel to keep it going. Most OEM designs constrict both input & output so a well-designed aftermarket sysem can help performance, and hopefully keep the water out.
TerraYacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1992 36' Land Yacht
garden city , Michigan
36' Land yacht owner, and K&N dealer. My yacht got 2-3 mpg better with KN and a magnaflow exhaust system, and alot more "giddy up". You can email me at racersdad7186@yahoo.com with needs, I will give you the best price around.
performancep is offline   Reply With Quote