Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2018, 06:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Pottsville , Pennsylvania
Electric plug in

I have a 26ft Airstream motorhome. When not being used, should I keep it plugged in to 110 or unplug it. Should it be left plugged in all winter or not. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Rusty
Rusty4cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:39 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty4cyl View Post
I have a 26ft Airstream motorhome. When not being used, should I keep it plugged in to 110 or unplug it. Should it be left plugged in all winter or not. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Rusty
Rusty, My 2005 has a single stage battery charger and I have cooked the batteries by plugging the moho in. the second set has done better with an external charger on the house batteries and a separate small charger on the chassis battery.

I'm going to upgrade the unit to a 3 stage so I don't dry out the batteries again, but maybe you could use a timer and just charge a few hours a day. Someone may have more detailed suggestions.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:46 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Upgrade your 'converter'... order one with stages.. Thusly..
https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/po...er-converters/

You will need to plug the coach in to run the Converter.. or, arrange other method (your choice)

The converter runs all 12VDC in your coach.. and maintains the battery level. (of course you still need to ensure electrolyte, battery terminals, etc are in good order)

If battery subject to freeze, remove and put where it won't freeze. Get a 'battery tender'.. or similar to 'maintain' a trickle charge.

Lots lots more to learn, but themz the basics.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote