Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2018, 05:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Dark Sky - Bright Lights on MH's RV's at Campgrounds

Not certain which forum to post this in, but since we own a LYG MH I'll post it here. We are parked in a KOA in northern Michigan for the summer while building a lake home nearby.

I got a burr in my saddle. What is it with some people and their external lights?

In the evening when most people are trying to wind down and enjoy the outdoors by the campfire I notice some people have their bright external lights on. One site had an LED palm tree outside. Others had LED rope lights in all kinds of places, on the inside or outside edges of their awnings, underneath and outlining their units. Some just have BRIGHT porch lights that light up virtually everything in their path. They aren't outside and all lights inside are off. They leave them on all night. Especially the nice bright ones like LED strips.

Now I could understand if camping in some ghetto campground and you feel the need to feel more secure. But out in a $60 plus per night otherwise dark and quiet northern Michigan campground why feel the need to blast your neighbors with light?
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:32 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
When we run into that, we don't get even, we get ahead.😂
Then leave. 👍
Ghetto campground...wtf.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-20-2018, 05:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
My pet theory is those "lighted up" folks are simply afraid of the dark.

The other one that bugs the kapok out of me are the ones with music/noise blasting out of external speakers in a similarly quiet area. I suspect 'city folk' that find peace and quiet unsettling, compared to the constant hubbub of the city they came from...

I also have little understanding of the 'need' for ANY television reception out in the 'wild'...I get out there to get away from the 'stuff' on the 'babble box'!

Nature is meant to be seen, heard, and appreciated. Not drowned out by the roar of "civilization".
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Oh, no...get out the popcorn. There are threads on this forum telling people how to do that. This should be as good as the campfire hate thread.
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Everything’s relative. No doubt there are tent campers looking at our Airstreams wondering what the hell is wrong with us. [emoji851]

If the lights bother you, perhaps just chat with your neighbor. 99.9% of the time, their intention isn’t to get in your way. Maybe they never thought of a night of star gazing without light pollution - maybe your discussion with them might help them experience something new?

If you’re not interested in that, maybe try to enjoy the LED flamingo aesthetic for what it is.

And if neither of those are of interest, perhaps search for non-light sites. I’m not sure where those are - I’ve often wondered why campgrounds don’t have sections like that - fire/no fire, music/no music, booze/no booze, smoking/no smoking, pets/no pets etc....
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
I agree that excessive outdoor lighting in a campground can be really annoying, especially since dark skies are a big part of the experience for me. On occasion I've politely asked folks to moderate their lighting and offered to give them a view through the 85mm refractor that I bring with me on trips. Usually that works.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I made two electronic control boxes that can turn on my running lights and / or flash my hazard lights. I only use these at an Airstream Rally.

Also I recently read that rope lights under your trailer will keep mice away.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
I agree that excessive outdoor lighting in a campground can be really annoying, especially since dark skies are a big part of the experience for me. On occasion I've politely asked folks to moderate their lighting and offered to give them a view through the 85mm refractor that I bring with me on trips. Usually that works.

I’d shut my INSIDE lights off for a look through that! [emoji3]
Old 09-21-2018, 05:02 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Thank you for the great, supportive comments. It's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one out there who appreciates dark skies.
Michigan
Old 09-21-2018, 05:43 AM   #10
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
If you really want dark skies at night, camp where there aren’t any hookups and campground rules severely limit generator use. Most National Park campgrounds fit this description. [emoji6]

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I made two electronic control boxes that can turn on my running lights and / or flash my hazard lights. I only use these at an Airstream Rally.

Also I recently read that rope lights under your trailer will keep mice away.
I do have two ropes of solar powered lights that I lay on the ground around my TT to keep mice out. They're not very bright.

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:57 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Someday we'll be able to "camp where there aren’t any hookups and campground rules severely limit generator use". Unfortunately for us that would require retirement which is a ways off.
Michigan
Old 09-21-2018, 05:58 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
I agree that I am trying to get back to nature (albeit in an AS haha) as much as possible but the reality is that you are often cheek by jowl with others who may not share the same purpose. Even here in VT at the fairly pristine State Park CG's you end up with endlessly yapping dogs (I want to go over and offer to take their dogs for a walk!). I don't know what the answer is although a quiet & dark section seems like a great idea.

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:32 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Do they really keep mice out? I had not heard nor seen that at a campground.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:14 AM   #15
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Everything’s relative. No doubt there are tent campers looking at our Airstreams wondering what the hell is wrong with us. [emoji851]

If the lights bother you, perhaps just chat with your neighbor. 99.9% of the time, their intention isn’t to get in your way. Maybe they never thought of a night of star gazing without light pollution - maybe your discussion with them might help them experience something new?

If you’re not interested in that, maybe try to enjoy the LED flamingo aesthetic for what it is.

And if neither of those are of interest, perhaps search for non-light sites. I’m not sure where those are - I’ve often wondered why campgrounds don’t have sections like that - fire/no fire, music/no music, booze/no booze, smoking/no smoking, pets/no pets etc....
^
👍

Wickipeedonya...
"There is no universally held definition of what is and what is not camping. Fundamentally, it reflects a combination of intent and the nature of activities involved."

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-21-2018, 08:29 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Kennesaw , Georgia
"They're not very bright" ... The mice or the LEDs?
TC Flippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Flippo View Post
"They're not very bright" ... The mice or the LEDs?

Yes.

[emoji851]
Old 09-21-2018, 10:23 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Yahoo to Kyet
Someone told me about the lights under the trailer to keep away mice and ground rats (apparently prevalent out West). I had wondered why almost every trailer was using them. Well , there are only 3 trailers that inhabit the campground I'm in and 2 have mice problems. I have none. I also have lights down. Myth? Who knows. I can say their moth balls were killing me (especially after a reain) and they still have mice.
Kyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:25 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
My pet theory is those "lighted up" folks are simply afraid of the dark.

The other one that bugs the kapok out of me are the ones with music/noise blasting out of external speakers in a similarly quiet area. I suspect 'city folk' that find peace and quiet unsettling, compared to the constant hubbub of the city they came from...

I also have little understanding of the 'need' for ANY television reception out in the 'wild'...I get out there to get away from the 'stuff' on the 'babble box'!

Nature is meant to be seen, heard, and appreciated. Not drowned out by the roar of "civilization".

AMEN to that!
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:21 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I remember one night in Rocky Mountain National park, when a friend and I drove into the park at 2 am, took a side road and just waited. Even the rare car passing half a mile away didn't ruin our night vision. I saw the Andromedia Galaxy naked eye. It was HUGE! A few elk wandered by, and eventually, we got very cold at 10,000'.

My point is that when I want dark skies, I don't go to a KOA.
It's like demanding quiet in Manhattan.
Too much outrage.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote