Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
couple of questions for 2000 to 2005 LY owners

I'll sleep better if I can get some answers for these mystifying bugs.

1. The manual for my 2005 30 says that the A/C's "fan only" operation run on 12v. Mine only run on 110. I've tried to run one a/c on cooling or heat (110v) and the other on fan only (12v) but the fan only a/c does not run. I know that you cannot run both a/c on 110v at the same time but running one on 12v should work. But maybe not. What do yours do?

2. The 2 coach and chassis cutout switches by the door seem to work in tandem only. If you press either switch (on or off) the other switches in tandem. Seems strange to me. What do yours do?

3. Does anyone have an electrical diagram (12v and/or 110v) for their coach or chassis? If so was it part of the original documentation from A/S or did you get it from some other source? These would sure be a help at times.

4. Do you have a 3 or 4 speed fan to run your chassis heating and a/c? I keep hearing that it is a 3 speed fan and that is what I get. But the dial shows 4 "dots" for fan speed. Setting the dial at the fourth dot (biggest dot) shuts the fan off. It might seem more resonable to have the fan shut off at the first (smallest) dot and then progress to 2nd dot; low speed, etc.

5. Has anyone tried to relocate their shower control from the middle of the wall to closer to the door? I'm thinking of doing this so my wife can sit on the seat without the control jabbing her in the back. I think the biggest problem maybe getting a trim piece to cover the old hole in the wall.

Thanks folks for your input.
woodytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:41 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Woodie Two, my comments:

I have read that both AC fans will run on 110, but not the case with mine. Strictly either/or. I added a separate 110 feed to the rear AC so I can now run both when needed. Was not a major task.

My coach shut-off switches by the door work independently.

I think there is a basic 12/110 electrical diagram in the owners manual, but I don't have the rig here to check.

Not sure on engine AC/heater fan, but as I recall I have a speed for each dot.

Shower takes some getting used to. Have not attempted to move controls. I shower standing, but would be nice if we had room to sit.

Sam
Airstream12557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
I changed the angle of the elbow for the shower changing would be doable. While I was in the closet checking the back of the fixture found a weeping fitting, rather than just a cover plate maybe a small shelf for soap or shampoo.

Back to original question, 12 v fan only for furnace, a/c's 120 only for the 2000.

I also changed the wiring from 30 to 50 amp to eliminate the front or rear a/c switch in the galley, if we are on 30 we still only run one a/c at a time but if on 50 can run both.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
Woody, your questions made me pull out the manual/handbook to look up a few things. Ours also says the AC fan can be run on 12V. We have never tried this, but I intend to, next time AC is needed. All the other fans in our 05 run on 12V, so maybe.

Our battery switches by the door operate independently of each other.

Our owners handbook has both diagrams. If you can find a manual on-line, they are in sections H & I. I would be happy to send copies to you, but I'm sure other posters have mentioned finding copies on-line.

We HAD a 4 speed fan on the engine heating & AC controls. Then we had some work done on the defroster, replaced the hoses & we now have a 3 speed fan. The mechanic was puzzled, but on ours its the small dot that is off. Still does the job.

Re: your shower idea….have you considered a portable shower stool? If your shower is like ours, there is room on the floor, next to the built in bench.

By the way, did you ever build the cabinets for the area by the dinette? If you have, I would love to see pictures.
Schools Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:00 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
We found a small triangular shower caddy that attaches in a corner of the shower with suction cups. It has been up for at least two years and it doesn't bounce loose. We use it to hold the soap, shampoo, etc. Works great. I have told people that if I drop the soap, I have to get out of the shower to retreive it. Not exactly true, but close!
Old 05-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream12557 View Post
I have told people that if I drop the soap, I have to get out of the shower to retreive it. Not exactly true, but close!
You are so right about this. I'm 6' 3' tall with weight over 200 and dropping the soap or shapoo is as you say, getting out of the shower to retrieve, well almost. But there are other things to love about these M/Hs.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
"Our battery switches by the door operate independently of each other. "

Feed back from several of you. Mine sure don't; you can touch either switch and both light up/down in tandem. So maybe this is my problem with the alternator not charging the coach batteries as we drive down the road????? ( see my other thread.)
Old 05-05-2014, 04:55 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodytwo View Post
You are so right about this. I'm 6' 3' tall with weight over 200 and dropping the soap or shapoo is as you say, getting out of the shower to retrieve, well almost. But there are other things to love about these M/Hs.
You are so right. I find that the motorhome fits our needs for a camping and an extend stay vehicle quite well. Overall, I have also been pleased with the quality of components used and find that the build quality is top notch. For a coach that is now ten years old, I get asked quite often if I have had it repainted. I have a few chips and dings in the paint around some of the compartments, but it still shines like a new car. It has not been repainted.

Also, I am well pleased with the mileage of the coach. Over a number of tanks, I consistentantly average between 9 and 9 1/4 MPG while towing a Toyotta Corolla. I find that there is too much varience in the calculated mileage for one tank for the results to be meaningful.