Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Coach batteries

Our Airstream Land Yacht diesel pusher with the 5.9 Cummins has 4 big batteries. (2 House & 2 Coach)
The last time I replaced them all was almost 6 years ago and I used the WalMart EverStart MAXX 29 deep cycle marine batteries. For most of the
time it was plugged in while in storage and I had to do battery service each year (Clean connections and add water)
These batteries are so big and heavy, I'm wondering if I can use a smaller battery for the coach and get that good a battery life from them. It's getting harder to squeeze them in the small space.
I like to hear the thought of others with mid 90's Land Yachts. Can the diesel live with less crankling amps?
Old 04-30-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I would not be using a marine deep cycle for the starting batteries Paul. You will get a better start from an Automotive cranking battery. I assume your start batteries are isolated from the house circuit, so why would you want deep cycle for start? (They will have less start and take longer to recharge with the alternator.)

What does your 5.9 call for in the way of CCA? Probably around 800CCA.

My 8.3 has twin GP 31 950CCA start batteries. When one failed in summer of 2011 on the road, I tried to run with only one battery for the remainder of the trip, as I had a good 8D battery in the shop at home. I found the dated single battery would barely start the 8.3 and caused, what I think, the ECU to reset each start, resulting in slow start, smoke, and rough idle for the first moment. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...ml#post1009548

My point is, I think you would be better served with start batteries rather than deep cycle, for the chassis circuit.

I would still go with two batteries which would allow some emergercy use of lights and etc, and still have capacity to start the unit.

Dave

]
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Agreed with using starting batteries on the chassis side. As for the Coach side, I would go with the highest Amp/Hour battery that will fit in the space. I understand that lifting those big batteries is hard, but you only have to do it once every 6 years.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Batteries

I called Airstream and their Technical Dept. said use Group 27 Marine deep cycle batteries. (They are 1" and 50 cold cramking amps smaller) They were $25.00 less than the Group 29 (with a 12 month instead if 24 month Warannty)
Tech Support also told me that the Converter only charged the house batteries.
When I installed the new Group 27 batteries, I discovered a live circuit and thet our Land Yacht has be modified to charge ALL the batteries!
Because my last set of coach batteries lasted 6 years, I'm hoping the
converter has saved me with extened battery life.
This weekend we're off on an Airstream adventure with new coach batteries and 6 year old house battteries that are still perforing well.
Wish us Bon Voyage.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Jupiter , Florida
Just went to these Sears batteries in my boat and they will be the next Coach batteries I buy. Great warranty and they have performed flawlessly to date.

Sears.com

PS: They are a little pricey, but I think they are worth it.
Off Course is offline   Reply With Quote