Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2008, 02:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1993 33' Land Yacht
Spring , Texas
Bleed rear disc brakes -

We have a 1993 Land Yacht Mh with disk brakes all the way around. After replacing a broken rear brake line I have air in it and the spongy petal that comes with it. I have blead brakes before but with the bracket that holds the right side rear air bag I can not get close enough to even see the bleeder fitting head. I know about were its at by looking at my P30 chassis manual. If any one has blead them before with out removing the dual rear wheel I would appreciate dome advice. Or, if thats the only way put me out of my misery and let me know!
porourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:36 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Can you get to the banjo fitting on the caliper?
If so, loosen that until the fluid runs out with no air bubbles. Since you replaced a line and not the caliper, and air remaining should, at least in theory, be in the line, since the caliper was never drained.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:21 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1993 33' Land Yacht
Spring , Texas
The line that broke was the 3/16 metal line that goes to a bracket right next to the caliper, it is flexible hose from there, to the banjo fitting but I have jacked it up, took the mud flap off and crawled around on both sides of the wheel but I cant see were the hose connects or the bleeder fitting, I have even tried running my hand around and up to it from both sides to feel for it with no luck. The bracket for the rear right air bag keeps me from getting full access to it. I know its there. I looked at the one on the front wheel, it should be in about the same place. I may have to disconnect the metal line at the bracket and try to bleed it from there.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:41 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The bleeder screw should be at the top of the caliper. It is shown as a hole at the bottom of the picture below. I'm sure you replaced them, but...Did you replace the two copper washers on either side of the bolt to the caliper? If not, it won't seal, and at best you'll get a fluid leak.
Attached Images

Old 08-12-2008, 03:42 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1993 33' Land Yacht
Spring , Texas
The only thing I took loose was the 3/16 tubing line, cut about 2 inches off the end to remove the cracked portion and put the farule and nut back on and made it up. With my wife pumping the brakes it doesn't leak. Your picture may help but the location of the bleeder fitting is different than the one in my p30 chassis manual. I'll check into it.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:33 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1993 33' Land Yacht
Spring , Texas
Found It!

Well we hit pay dirt today! I took a tellescoping mirror that I use sometimes at work and put it up in the area and shined a light on the top of the caliper and there it was. Right behind what appears to be the head on one of the two shoulder bolts that go through each end of the calpier. I couldn't get a box or open wrench in there but did manage to stab it with a socket on an extension and break it loose. I have a brake bleeder setup but its impossible to get the tubing on the end of the bleeder fitting so this weekend I will get my wife to operate the petal and bleed the heck out of it.

I want to thank you ever so much for the help you gave me - with out it I would have given up and brought it in -
Old 08-12-2008, 06:09 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by porourke View Post
Well we hit pay dirt today! I took a tellescoping mirror that I use sometimes at work and put it up in the area and shined a light on the top of the caliper and there it was. Right behind what appears to be the head on one of the two shoulder bolts that go through each end of the calpier. I couldn't get a box or open wrench in there but did manage to stab it with a socket on an extension and break it loose. I have a brake bleeder setup but its impossible to get the tubing on the end of the bleeder fitting so this weekend I will get my wife to operate the petal and bleed the heck out of it.

I want to thank you ever so much for the help you gave me - with out it I would have given up and brought it in -
Take the lid off the master cylinder, and open the bleeder. with any luck at all, gravity will move the air bubbles out of the system, and your wife will not have to exercise her right calf muscles.