Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2016, 10:31 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
Basic Repair Parts availability?

I'm going thru our new-2-us 96 LY30, and having a devil of a time finding some should-be-common parts.

Several older bike forums I am on have a sticky thread for common, and sometimes not-so-common, parts or substitutes. Any chance someone here could set that up?

"Bad" parts so far I have encountered include top radiator hose (Dayton # is too short) , inner and outer tie rod ends (Moog parts too short, then the correct length model had the zerk hole (untapped BTW, in hardened steel!) in a place that hit the frame, no power steering pump available that was not Chinese, wrong wheel bearings, only one oil cooler hose available from ANYBODY (obviously, it takes 2, and they are different), no MOOG lower control arms available if you have 4 wheel disks, stock lower control arms that will not accept correct part number Koni shocks (crap quality control, according to Super Steer - I'll need to weld new shock mounts... and a few other PITA's.

I have, in the last few weeks, worked with O'Reilly's (closest to my house), Merles ( a large local chain), Summit, Rock Auto, Advance, and the parent ACDELCO site - who were almost worse than useless. In trying to find an ACDELCO power steering pump, non of the selection parameters quite matched up - rear disks, Motorhome, no cab, MFI, 1996. The guy was trying, and came up with a model # - I then asked if anybody stocked it - he could not answer. I asked if it was still a production part - he could not answer. I asked if it was still a valid part number - he could not answer. After dealing with Summit and Rock Auto later, nobody has it in stock - and they have no idea if it will ever be back in stock...

Dang it. I have literally spent more time chasing down parts than the work will be to replace them.

If a MOD could start a sticky of some type, I can initially populate it with some hard earned info...

AND, If anyone has a valid part number for an upper radiator hose, it would be appreciated.
pago cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:28 AM   #2
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
Which chassis is your MH on?

We have a '95 on the Ford chassis. Maybe we could help.
BarnacleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:55 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Land Yacht
Benson , Arizona
ARGH!
Sorry about that.
GM P30. For some reason, I thought all the LYs were P30?
pago cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:12 PM   #4
Streamin'

1995 30' Cutter Bus LE
Madison , New Mexico
No problem. Let me know if you need help with any non-chassis stuff.
BarnacleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Can't help ya with the Chevy chassis but can help with plumbing and or electrical issue if you run into anything. Spent this weekend repairing 3 water leaks. One at toilet, second at bath sink, and third at the city water fill as it connects to pressure regulator. Got all parts from Home Depot except the toilet flush water control valve. It came from local RV supplier for $55. Probably saved myself over $1000 in labor by doing this myself!!
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
When you are looking for chassis parts you do use the fact that is chevy p-30 but did you check the chassis build date, my 2000 started in 1998 and completed in 1999 sent over to AS and completed in 2000. I found chassis plate on the post to the right of the radiator near where the steering column is.
I always put in 1999 then engine and body type, brakes all disk except the dumb transmission brake instead of a parking brake including a foot pedal that you might have.
I suggest you vary your search specifics to include older years than the AS year.
You didn't mention NAPA as a choice for parts, I have found if you can find an older counterman and a slow day they should be able to find anything you need.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:41 PM   #7
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Have you looked at the Argosy and Classic motorhome forums?

They all used the same chassis (P-30) from 1974 to 1987, and then the gas variants until 1996 (except the 370 that for some reason was built on a Gilig bus chassis) and there are several threads listing all the chassis parts (current part numbers), for example http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...ead-99016.html
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote