Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2007, 06:51 PM   #1

1996 33' Land Yacht
w , Virginia
Unhappy '96 LY fridge quit working

Hi all,
I'm new to rv'ing so maybe I'm not doing something right, but here goes...

I got this LY about a week ago and wasn't sure how to plug it into the house to get power. I finally figured out I needed an adapter to fit onto the big black power cord so I could run an extension cord from the house to the RV. Done.

The door steps had been working when I opened the coach door, the fridge was working also. There was this AUX battery switch that was in the down position. I read in the manual that it should be up if the motorhome was in use, so I pushed it to the up position. When I did that, the steps stayed in the up position and won't come down when I open the door, and the fridge lights went out. As far as I can tell, all other things in the coach work.

What did I do wrong? I unplugged the AC, started the RV engine, and started the generator. When I did that two days ago, the steps worked and the fridge worked, but not now.

Are there some breakers or fuses somewhere I need to check for the fridge? Are the steps frozen?

airstream96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:18 PM   #2

1996 33' Land Yacht
w , Virginia
ok, found two fuses in the 12 volt distribution box behind the drivers seat that were blown. That fixed the fridge.

Where are the breakers/fuses for the steps?? The manual says they are on the wall next to the main door...can't find anything there.
airstream96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:05 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Step

The step has an overide switch near the entrance door to keep it from going in and out everytime the door opens when parked. If that does not do it
look for an in line fuse at the step motor.
Remember the manuals on these coaches are poor at best and a slight change in floor plans makes them even more confusing.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Sometimes the DC motor that lowers & raises the step fails. In my case we found that the brushes in the motor probably need changing. So for the meantime, whenever it stays stuck in the down position we tap the motor housing with a hammer. This frees up the brushes so that contact is made and the steps work again.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Talking Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca
Sometimes the DC motor that lowers & raises the step fails. In my case we found that the brushes in the motor probably need changing. So for the meantime, whenever it stays stuck in the down position we tap the motor housing with a hammer. This frees up the brushes so that contact is made and the steps work again.
Ahh - the ol hammer solution - I usually do it after dark!
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:05 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Noblesville , Indiana
OK!

A couple of things. Make sure you do not try to run the roof A/C off that extension cord! I did that and it's not pretty. I ran a 30 amp line to the edge of the driveway, installed a weather box and now plug in there. This allows me to run one A/C and fridge before a trip to cool things down. If the step switch make no difference, you might check 1. coach batteries. must have 12 volts to make them work. 2. magnetic contact switch. This is low on the entry on left side of door jamb. It is about 1/2" around and fits flush with the inside door jamb. Mine broke off and had to be replaced. Also check the contact on the door as well. both must be in good condition, not chipped or broken. You can test this with a small magnet by placing against the jamb switch. If nothing happens, then check the wiring coming down from the jamb under the steps. Should be two 14/16 gage wires. 3. motor. Mine got water in the gearing and it was locking up and steps only came up half way. I replaced the motor this spring. Works fine now. This is not hard to do but is time consuming. Go to the Kwikee steps web site and read through their trouble shooting guide. It is a big help. Or try this link: Kwikee Step Tech Info
FYI: The steps will come down after the engine has been running. This is normal and they will retract when you start up the engine. This is an engine override function and makes sure you are not traveling with steps down. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
John