Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2010, 06:46 AM   #1

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Manheim , Pennsylvania
'94 Land Yacht Diesel Restoration

I have a 94 Land Yacht Diesel that I am restoring due to extensive roof leakage and minor collision damage.

With regard to the roof, I have everything stripped, re-rivited and will be re-caulking all seams and applying a liquid rubber roof coating. My question is with regard to a source for replacing the (2) dome skylights. Does anyone know the manufacturer of these so I can get replacements? I suspect they might be residential/commercial curb-mount skylight domes?

With regard to to body damage, my question is where I can get the vinyl insert for the screw strip? The insert is the 3/4" wide solid stuff. The adhesive tape is very difficult to remove from the vinyl strip (I got the residue off the aluminum strip itself). I fear that I will damage the vinyl when I use the 3M solvent and/or eraser.
ksnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I've just redone the roof seams on my LY - after removing all the sealants used, I resealed the seams with lap sealant and then taped over the seams with Eternabond tape. I bought the tape from the factory (two 37-ft rolls) and it came with a lifetime warranty against failure (meaning leaks). Because I have to regularly go on the roof to clean the solar-electric panel mounted there, I would not want a rubber roof coating as it would not stand up to repeated access.

My '94 LY has one skylight over the shower, which I had the local AS dealer order in for me about 3 years ago. The other "domes" are vents - the one near the dinette is a Fantastic Fan, and FYI this has a lifetime warranty from the factory, so you can call them about it. They have replaced parts of mine over the past few years, and at the International in Bozeman, the factory rep redid mine.

The vent over the toilet is simply a regular vent, but it has a small exhaust fan and power opening and closing. This is a "normal" everyday RV replacement item - as well as the Maxihood over it to prevent rain from getting in.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #3

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Manheim , Pennsylvania
94 Land Yacht Diesel Restoration

Thanks for the feedback and apologies for the delay. I have actually completed the job. I was able to reuse the skylights, I do have two. I totally stripped the roof, lap sealed every seam, then put down the liquid epdm. I also replaced the running lights with LCD. We've had plenty of rain and so far-so good, but I haven't taken it on a trip yet. As for the body, I used the rubber eraser wheel to take off the adhesive from the screw strip and vinyl insert. Worked great!
ksnyder is offline   Reply With Quote