Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Knoxville , Tennessee
Question '94 35' LY or '85 PT40' Wanderlodge?

Ok guys, Here is my dilemma: I have a '94 Land Yacht 35' Cummings diesel pusher that I need to fix the fiberglass roof, headliner, tires, and clean her up. She has only 46,000 actual miles but has a salvage title from hail damage to roof. She is, or could be a very nice coach. I found a '85 P40 Wanderlodge with only 35,000 actual miles, but has 1995 plates on her, but was driven about 15 miles or more 2 years ago. Needless to say, she needs cleaned up. If you could get the Wanderlodge at a good price, would you sell the LY and put $$ into Wanderlodge? What are your opinions?
442 john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I assume you mean a Blue Bird Wanderlodge? For me that would be a no brainer...Wanderlodge. I have never owned one but have relatives that have and have seen quite a few of them. The AS is a SOB compared to a BB Wanderlodge.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
First of all, you have to give us some more information. But with what you have given us I will comment, and you can correct me on what I have assumed wrong.

Number one: you are talking a 1985 P40. This probably has 3 axles, maybe a 3208 Cat engine, maybe a 6 or 8V92?, a 4 speed or possible a 5 speed tranny, 3 axles, blunt as a sledge and heavy as lead.
It will have R34 refrigerant that will cost you a fortune to upgrade.
It is steel constructed, and rotten as s&*t if it has had water damage. Every hose and air line will need replacing and chances are the brake valves will need to be replaced. The rad will probably be rotten and the engine may have internal corrosion if the coolant was not treated and kept neutralized.
Blue Bird Wanderlodge are no longer in business.
Need I go on?????
Correct anything I am wrong on.

Your Land Yacht, if its the bus style, may have aluminum framing above the chassis frame. Check this by removing the grills at the roof air conditioner and looking at the framing that will run on each side of the unit. If not aluminum, check close to make sure it is worth the repair.
It will have a Cummins that is hard to beat for an engine. It is on a Oshkosh/Freightliner chassis, that parts should be easy to come by.
It should have an Allison 3060 transmission.

You must determine the condition of the framing on each unit, before spending money on what can easily be seen.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442 john View Post
Ok guys, Here is my dilemma: I have a '94 Land Yacht 35' Cummings diesel pusher that I need to fix the fiberglass roof, headliner, tires, and clean her up. She has only 46,000 actual miles but has a salvage title from hail damage to roof. She is, or could be a very nice coach. I found a '85 P40 Wanderlodge with only 35,000 actual miles, but has 1995 plates on her, but was driven about 15 miles or more 2 years ago. Needless to say, she needs cleaned up. If you could get the Wanderlodge at a good price, would you sell the LY and put $$ into Wanderlodge? What are your opinions?
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Knoxville , Tennessee
My LY has the pointed nose on front. Everything on it seems good, except the roof, which I was thinking of putting a bed-liner coating onto it. I have replacement skylights that I will be installing, I replaced passenger side front window(the passeneger windshield has a crack on the bottom). She has an Onan LP generator, washer/dryer in one unit,need floor covering replaced(floor solid), I believe she does have the aluminum braces you have referred to also. The Bluebird Wanderlodge is a 6V92 with a 5SDP Allison trans. She does have a tag. Had mechanic check frame and she is VERY SOLID, he couldn't believe how goiod of shape exterior and frame were. It has the diamond plating on the roof, very study ladder. You are correct, Wnaderlodge is out of business, but a place called "Parliament" bought the name and says Wanderlodge will be built again. I like the LY, but the bird seemed so much sturdier than my LY. I have a couple of good mechanics that can work on either. Thought about keeping both, but I have a wife. I just don't want to through good $$ after bad. How much would be good for selling LY? Buying WL? I don't know
442 john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Let me know if you're planning to dump the LY on the market. I may be interested in a new project. The only problem is the TN salvage title. I need to check what my local laws on on salvage rebuilding from TN. Could be easy or a real PITA.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Franklin NC , North Carolina
Airstream or Wonderlodge?

I too have a 94 Land Yacht with a Cummins Diesel and remember when the Blue Bird Wonder Lodge was a top RV.
Would I trade ours for a Blue Bird in equal condition?, NO.
Why? Because our Land Yacht is a tool to enjoy retirement and we've fixed all the stuff that we need to make it a reliable RV. We're not looking for another restoration project and we get 11 MPG with the Land Yacht and she still looks cool. Changing to a school bus look at this stage and aquiring another big project is not on our desirable list.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Blue Bird made some quality coaches, but they sure looked like a school bus.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Blue Bird vs Airstream Land Yacht.........one thing the folks above did not mention is WEIGHT and CONTROL.

I own a 97 Land Yacht WB diesel pusher 35'. My cousin and her husband own a 97 Blue Bird Wonderlodge, 40' long with tag. In October 2015 my right front tire blew out at 65mph on I-40 near Knoxville while fully loaded and towing a Jeep. It coasted off the highway to a smooth stop without much effort. No damage to wheel or RV, just a dented hubcap and $1000 for 2 new front tires.

2 weeks later, my relatives suffered similar blowout on Florida Turnpike except it was the left front tire. Keep in mind the BB tires are much larger. They lost control, hit the guard rail and damaged entire left side plus tore off half of rear bumper. Damage estimated at $20k plus!!! Needless to say they have not driven it since.

I would not swap mine even for something that big and heavy, not to mention LOTS of expenses.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
Update to the 1/20 posting. Spoke with my cousin today and their Bluebird is still in the shop. Final damage estimate was $62,000.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote