Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-08-2014, 01:16 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
2005 SO - To purchase or not?

Hi Folks,

I just joined this forum as my wife and I are looking at purchasing a 2005 Land Yacht Motorhome 30' SO (hope I've got all the specs for you here). It has 28,000 miles and is listed for $58,000. Extremely clean all around.

Here are my questions which I'm hoping you can help me with:

1. What do you think of your 30' SO or similar motorhome? Would you purchase it again?

2. If this vehicle checks out reasonably well mechanically is the price fair (NADA lists low retail at $50,000 and average at $60,000)?

3. Do you have a recommendation for someone to check it for us in the Portland, OR area (otherwise I would use an independent RV service department)?

Thank you for all of the wonderful past posts I have pored over the last few hours! And I thank you in advance for any advice you might be able to share with me.

Take care,
Chris
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:26 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Chris, we have a 2004 30 ft. with slide. Purchased it used in 2009 with about 10 K miles. We have driven it about 30 K miles and have been well pleased with the rig. It has good power and gets decent mileage. Ours has a GM transmission and I think yours might have the Allision (a plus, in my opinion). Things to check:
1) Make a close inspection of the roof to see if it looks as if it has had the joints maintained by applying sealant as necessary. This should be an annual maintenance item. Pay close attention to the joint between the fiberglass roof and the end caps.
2) Check date on tires; they may be ready for replacement.
3) Check air bags inside front coil springs -- at that age they may leak and need replacement.
4) How does it track on the road at normal driving speed (60 to 65 MPH)? It should have a good road feel and not take constant steering wheel corrections to maintain the desired course. If a problem, new tires and alignment should correct, if the air bags in the coil springs are at proper pressure.
5) Check all systems. If you are an RVer, most of the systems are the same as in most RVs.

Above is not an exhaustive list, but a good starting point.

Sam
Airstream12557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:30 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
On the portal page, as you scroll down, on the right side you will see, Airstream Inspectors. You should be able to find someone there who can look over what you are looking at and advise you. The day after Thanks Giving I went to the factory in Jackson Center Ohio to check out a trailer for a couple in Seattle Washington.
I wish you well.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Hi Sam,

Thanks so much for your quick and thorough response! I especially appreciate the vehicle specific points you referenced in 2, 3, and 4. I will check each of your points, as well as additional ones that you referenced in point 5 .

By the way, what did you think about the price?

Again, thank you, Sam!

Chris
Old 12-08-2014, 11:44 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmcv51 View Post
On the portal page, as you scroll down, on the right side you will see, Airstream Inspectors. You should be able to find someone there who can look over what you are looking at and advise you. The day after Thanks Giving I went to the factory in Jackson Center Ohio to check out a trailer for a couple in Seattle Washington.
I wish you well.
Great tip, Wally! I will check out the link. Thanks so much for your help!

Chris
Old 12-09-2014, 04:58 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
Chris, I haven't used NADA since we purchased our rig. When we made our purchase, we found NADA to ge a good reflection of market conditions at that time (but, way off base on Airstream trailers). One caution -- NADA shows many options that could well be included as standard equipment on your rig As I recall, some standard items like the back-up camera and air conditioners are listed as options in the NADA price list, but on the "window sticker" of the rig, they are standard equipment. Just be aware of potential double dipping. The seller may have a copy of the original window sticker, if not, I think I have a jpg copy of my window sticker that I would send you (with an e-mail address).

Sam
Airstream12557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:54 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream12557 View Post
Chris, I haven't used NADA since we purchased our rig. When we made our purchase, we found NADA to ge a good reflection of market conditions at that time (but, way off base on Airstream trailers). One caution -- NADA shows many options that could well be included as standard equipment on your rig As I recall, some standard items like the back-up camera and air conditioners are listed as options in the NADA price list, but on the "window sticker" of the rig, they are standard equipment. Just be aware of potential double dipping. The seller may have a copy of the original window sticker, if not, I think I have a jpg copy of my window sticker that I would send you (with an e-mail address).

Sam
Hi Sam,

Thanks for the info! What you wrote is sound advice. Interesting that the Airstream trailer pricing is off-base. I have heard that before regarding NADA's trailer pricing. If the window sticker pricing seems helpful in the future I will contact you.

Again, thank you so much for your help!

Chris
Old 12-14-2014, 01:30 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
Ontario , Canada
I seem to have the identical model. Purchased 3 years ago after doing a lot of research. Was at 39K now at 54K miles. have enjoyed the m/H. The Work Horse P32 chassis is pretty good and is lower to the ground than other chassis. Good if you hate stairs. The slide works well. we have not had any problems with it. The 2 coach batteries are easy access. The chassis battery is hard to reach and you have to remove the air intake horn to get at it. Mine is a sealed no maintenance type so not a big problem.
You will have the gm transmission. Works well for a four speed. I pull an SRX (4500 lbs) and got 8.5 mpg coming down I75 from Detroit to Tampa 10 days ago. Based on a full tank in Detroit and a full tank in Tampa so is accurate. not bad for this includes the allegengies as well as the flat spots. Never went to 2 gear in the mountains except when going down some of the grades. The 5.1 has a lot of power going up those steep grades.
Steering feels loose unless you have add ons on it to stabilize. I do not have any of these add ons and survive reasonably well.
You will read on these forums about the dreaded green J71 electrical control for the auto braking feature. Has a auto applied brake that connects to the drive shaft to hold the vehicle stopped when you put the tranny in park. If the little green thing fails, you cannot release the parking brake until the green thing is replaced or the drive shaft disconnected to enable a tow. As far as I can determine, the 2005 has the J72 version of the electrical control. Not sure if it has the same problem as the J71 but I have not worried about it so far.
My wife insisted that it needed more storage cupboards and I have added these to the wall where the table connects, in the bathroom and in the bedroom. Met her needs well.
Price?? depends on the vehicle. Asking price seems a tad high to me. Yes low mileage but how well maintained? I had access to all the service records from the dealer that serviced it even though it was a private sale. Someone else mentioned the tires. Unless you can see and drive the m/h, I would get an inspection done on it, and then a mechanical check as well.
Good luck.
woodytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:21 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodytwo View Post
I seem to have the identical model. Purchased 3 years ago after doing a lot of research. Was at 39K now at 54K miles. have enjoyed the m/H. The Work Horse P32 chassis is pretty good and is lower to the ground than other chassis. Good if you hate stairs. The slide works well. we have not had any problems with it. The 2 coach batteries are easy access. The chassis battery is hard to reach and you have to remove the air intake horn to get at it. Mine is a sealed no maintenance type so not a big problem.
You will have the gm transmission. Works well for a four speed. I pull an SRX (4500 lbs) and got 8.5 mpg coming down I75 from Detroit to Tampa 10 days ago. Based on a full tank in Detroit and a full tank in Tampa so is accurate. not bad for this includes the allegengies as well as the flat spots. Never went to 2 gear in the mountains except when going down some of the grades. The 5.1 has a lot of power going up those steep grades.
Steering feels loose unless you have add ons on it to stabilize. I do not have any of these add ons and survive reasonably well.
You will read on these forums about the dreaded green J71 electrical control for the auto braking feature. Has a auto applied brake that connects to the drive shaft to hold the vehicle stopped when you put the tranny in park. If the little green thing fails, you cannot release the parking brake until the green thing is replaced or the drive shaft disconnected to enable a tow. As far as I can determine, the 2005 has the J72 version of the electrical control. Not sure if it has the same problem as the J71 but I have not worried about it so far.
My wife insisted that it needed more storage cupboards and I have added these to the wall where the table connects, in the bathroom and in the bedroom. Met her needs well.
Price?? depends on the vehicle. Asking price seems a tad high to me. Yes low mileage but how well maintained? I had access to all the service records from the dealer that serviced it even though it was a private sale. Someone else mentioned the tires. Unless you can see and drive the m/h, I would get an inspection done on it, and then a mechanical check as well.
Good luck.
Thanks, WoodyTwo! Wow, fabulous info and advice. I so appreciate you sharing all that you did. The great thing about this forum is not only is this info you've shared helpful to me but will be to many more in the future who search on the forum for this model of motorhome. I love it! Well done, WoodyTwo!
Great to hear that it has been a good motorhome for you.
Take care.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:25 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Looks like we are going with a trailer...

So, after much contemplation, it looks like an Airstream trailer is going to be a better fit than a motorhome for our family at this point in time. Thank you everyone on this thread for helping me. What a great group of people you are! See you on some other threads, perhaps, as I post more questions there .
Old 12-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht Gas 30
Belgrade , Montana
In case you reconsider, I have my 05 posted on Craigslist in SoCal (Sand Diego, Palm Springs, LA) for $53000.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
JMSx2 is offline   Reply With Quote