Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2022, 09:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 26' Land Yacht Gas 26
Thibodaux , Louisiana
2004 Landyacht Coax to winegard

Yes my cable from my booster to the winegard has gone out. Does anyone know how it is run, just wanted to pull a new cable from the roof outside but it seem stuck somewhere and I do not want to pull down my roof liner. Any help appreciated. I have also read that there may be a blocking capacitor in the line somewhere. I was wanting to pull from antenna to the cabin.
latenite23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 09:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by latenite23 View Post
Yes my cable from my booster to the winegard has gone out. Does anyone know how it is run, just wanted to pull a new cable from the roof outside but it seem stuck somewhere and I do not want to pull down my roof liner. Any help appreciated. I have also read that there may be a blocking capacitor in the line somewhere. I was wanting to pull from antenna to the cabin.
I’m not understanding your phrase “wanting to pull from antenna to the cabin”…. Do you mean you wish to pull toward the antenna..from the cabin?? or toward the cabin..from the antenna??

In either case, How exactly did you confirm the coax has “gone out”..?? Did you check it for continuity with a VOM..? Or are you merely relying upon the fact you are not receiving a useable signal..? How do you know it’s not a failure of your antenna booster…? or that you’ve simply forgotten to turn it “on”…? (a common occurrence)
…or that the “jumper” is not properly installed..?

It would be an extremely rare event for that coax to actually “fail” without other physical damage having occurred.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 08:51 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Thibodaux , Louisiana
The antenna is new and picks up if I hook it up directly to the tv and works. I plugged one of those little flat antennas into the line and it would not pick up any signal that is how I confirmed that it was the line between the booster and antenna. The fitting on the original line came loose I replaced it but still not signal. So I want to pull i new line by attaching it to the old line and pull it though but it seem caught somewhere in the roof.
Old 10-10-2022, 09:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by latenite23 View Post
The antenna is new and picks up if I hook it up directly to the tv and works. I plugged one of those little flat antennas into the line and it would not pick up any signal that is how I confirmed that it was the line between the booster and antenna. The fitting on the original line came loose I replaced it but still not signal. So I want to pull i new line by attaching it to the old line and pull it though but it seem caught somewhere in the roof.
I'm in a similar situation on my 92 LY 36'. The existing antenna is in very bad condition, and I'll be changing it out for a newer digital version. The existing coax is in pretty bad shape as well, so I was planning on replacing it too. Let us know if you've been able to figure out how to run a new coax as that is what I'm looking to do as well.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 03:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
TV antenna wires

In mine, I have a row of cabinets over the sofa, the top right cabinet, behind the drivers seat, has cables from the roof that connect to the sat dish controller and booster switch for the Wing HiFI antenna. These can be traced on the roof exterior going to each antenna.

It should be easy to follow unless the bad cable is from the booster switch down to the TV itself. That part I am not sure of. Just to be on safe side, you might confirm if your HiFi antenna booster switch is working. Mine has a red light that shows when switched on. Its one of the things I check when raising or lowering the antenna.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 09:45 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Thibodaux , Louisiana
The end came out of where it plugs into the roof where it usually leaks and everyone puts all the goop to seal it up. They crimped there own ends and those can get loose if not done properly. I never crimp I try to go factory made. I am wondering if I take down the plastic strip that going across the roof is there a chance it will not pop back into place. It looks like all I have to do is stick my hand it the crack to re run a line.
Thanks
Old 11-08-2022, 10:44 AM   #7
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Pulling any existing cable/wire can be tricky to impossible due to hangups at corners/framing, staples and clamps. looping of the cable and tangling in other wires etc. To give you the best possible advantage you want to have two people, one pushing on one end and one pulling on the other, working in unison and never forcing it. When there is a hangup work back and forth, forcing it will only make it worse. Sometimes a quick jerk/whip will make it past a hangup spot but should never be too forceful. Also make your connection point as small and streamlined as possible with no flat edge to hang up, everything rounded and streamlined. If you try and force it you will damage your streamlined connection and are pretty much SOL until you pull it all back to the starting point and re-fix it. If there is any way for even a small access point somewhere in the run it will be a big help. Flexible fish sticks are also a big help. (been pulling wires my whole life)
If it fails I would just install new ends like the others said, provided the existing cable didn't get damaged and can be pulled back into place. A coax can't really go bad in the middle unless it got cut into by a fastener or a sharp edge, and new compression style ends properly installed work just as well as factory made cables.
Also quite simple to test with VOM
Old 11-11-2022, 11:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
I would start on the inside and try to find where the wire from the booster is going past the cabinet and thru the roof. Then do the opposite, scrape the sealer from the area where the wire is on top of the roof and maybe even consider making that hole larger.

This is a project I plan to do when I can get the Airstream into a covered garage. I need to remove the old round sat dish and prep it for the new Starlink RV antenna. Also plan to do a solar panel upgrade.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 06:10 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Thibodaux , Louisiana
I was thinking of upgrading the solar panel also, the one I have shows a light but is useless as far as keeping the batteries charged up. I did have a parasitic drain due to the LP detector but took out the fuse much better but I have another I suspect the radio. The seam in my roof seams to run along the line of the cable, did not want to take the plastic strip off afraid I could not find it I found some at my local Airstream dealer so will pop it off and see if I fish it that way.