Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2017, 05:37 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1995 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Syracuse , New York
1995 Land Yacht 34' Turbo Diesel

Hello all, over the weekend I purchased a 95' land yacht with a 5.9L cummings diesel. I purchased it for an unbeliable deal (about 1k) but it obviously needs some work. Motorhome drives fine and all but I want to put new brakes on it. I also will be installing a new roof. Anyone know how to look up the brakes for this unit?

Also I have no clue how the electrical system works on this. I can get the headlights on and all gauges to work but the dash lights don't turn on and the entry door step does not move(not sure if there is a button) as well none of the leveling jacks will move and a few other things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1326.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	393.9 KB
ID:	291555  
Kmillett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:52 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1994 35' Land Yacht Diesel
Franklin NC , North Carolina
Land Yacht Questions

I called Airstream and the brake stuff was overnighted from Washington state.
Search this Forum for the roof replacement thread, one member did it and shared many posts and pictures.
The mode for the entry step is controlled from the switches but the entry door.
The leveling jacks are controlled from the left side of the of dash, with the engine running.
Welcome and have fun.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:31 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Syracuse , New York
I will try calling airstream.
I searched roof replacement but could not find anything other then someone who took the roof off and parted there rv because of how bad it was.

I tried lowering the jacks with it running but nothing happened.

Next to the entry door I do not see a button that says anything regarding the step.

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2017, 12:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Shepherdstown , West Virginia
The jacks are hydrolic so it could be low or out of fluid if not used in awhile. Mine is a 97 but similar with larger Cummins engine. The levelor motor and fluid tank are under the right front corner in front of the tire. Mine have always worked but leaked in the down position, after seals were replaced ($100 ea) they work great.

My roof is one piece fiberglass with holes cut for the AC, skylight, ect. It only has 2 seams both where the end caps attach. These should be caulked and sealed. I might also recommend checking the black seals around the top of the windshield. If its been outside very long, these need to be caulked too.

Keep us posted with updates. Btw....I just drove mine to the Airstream Rally in Michigan and got 12.5mpg on the trip.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

By the way...as far as the electrical goes. Start by checking all the fuses. Their are at least 3 fuse panels on the rig. 1 in bedroom for breakers for the AC equipment. Another in front of the passenger seat. These are mostly for 12 volt. Another is inside the front hood compartment. That's most likely where you will find fuses for the instrument panel, wipers, exterior lights, etc. Its possible some might be near the batteries for motor and coach also.

Another trick is to turn the headlight switch left and right to see if it makes them brighter. Turn it all the way to left till it clicks and you should get some cool under dash lights in front of both seats. They make a big difference when traveling at night.
Old 08-12-2017, 07:03 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Syracuse , New York
Yeah, I checked all the fuses but can not seem to get any of the front controls to work unless the RV is plugged in? Also when I try and use the leveling system nothing happens still (the panel does light up and blink etc.). I did notice when I crawled under the RV the jacks look like they are nearly fully extended in the up position? Could this be the issue and if so how do I make them retract?

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2017, 10:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

That's strange....I think your model jacks not only raised/lowered but they also folded vertically....correct? Mine only move up/down horizonally.

Might need to check the fluid level in the hydrolic tank. When retracted the tank should be full. When extended its low. If fluid is low they do not operate properly and a warning light is on the dash. Another issue could be with the pump motor.