Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2021, 03:18 PM   #1
HRH

Currently Looking...
1992 36' Land Yacht
Fort Collins , Colorado
1992 Land Yacht 36"

I am considering buying a 1992 Land Yacht 36'. I have never owned an RV.

1) Besides the condition of the interior, what else should I look out for before purchasing?

2) Are there common problems that occur with this year/model
HRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
First thing to check for are water leaks. These fiberglass MH's are very prone to roof leaks around the aluminum corner rounds on both sides. Look inside for any signs of water intrusion around the ceiling and walls. Mine had a ton of it but I picked it up for cheap and was able to do the repair work myself. Check the outside for any soft spots. Those to will be an indicator of water leaks. Some times it comes from the roof but it's also possible that the water is coming from window seals.

Check all of the appliances to verify they work properly. Check the stove lights all burners, furnaces put out heat, AC blows cold, Refrigerator works with both AC and gas, Water heater lights, Plumbing system holds pressure using the pump, Generator fires up and produces AC, All sinks and shower have water available. Look under the MH and verify that no water is present after the water checks. Make sure that you can open and close the grey and black water tank valves.

Check the leveling system for proper extension and retraction of the leveling cylinders.

Take it out for a spin and verify brakes and coolant temps are OK.

It's not a new coach so it's likely to have some issues. The longer its been sitting the greater the chance of issues. It doesn't mean it's not worth buying but at least you would have a list of things to work on and some negotiating leverage.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:36 PM   #3
HRH

Currently Looking...
1992 36' Land Yacht
Fort Collins , Colorado
Thank you!

Thank you for your thorough response to my question on this and the other post. So much to consider!
HRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 01:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH View Post
. . .
. . . I have never owned an RV.
. . .
Are you an experienced mechanic with a good shop to work from, and lots of free time?

This vehicle is ~30 years old . . . are there even parts available for the chassis, plus the coach?

Good luck.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 05:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
From my experience, the P30 chassis that the 1992 LY 36' MH is based on has an abundance of parts still available. It's more the Air Stream added parts that are hard to obtain. Appliances are pretty standard and readily available. Yes, it's over 30 years old but if in good condition is still a viable option. Having the ability to do any repairs yourself is critical though.
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
. . .
Having the ability to do any repairs yourself is critical though.
Yup.

Good other points.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
PS -- Adding a post from the other thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH View Post
Thank you for your thorough response to my question on this and the other post. So much to consider!
[click on orange arrow to go directly to the following post]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
I have the exact same unit. Things to look for:

Start by looking for ANY signs of roof leaks. Any soft spots on the sides and any ceiling irregularities are clear signs of water penetration.

Check all of the appliances and accessories.

Water heater, stove, furnace, refrigerator (both AC and GAS opperaton), leveling system, electric stairs...

Take it out for a drive around the block and verify brakes and coolant temperatures.

Oh, did I mention roof leaks???? Yes, that's probably the most common issue with the fiberglass Air Stream motorhomes.

Travel safe . . . and . . .
Old 03-10-2021, 12:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
What orange arrow ???
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmiller1 View Post
What orange arrow ???
On the main [computer-based] desktop site of Airforums [not the App], there is an orange arrow inside each Quote, next to the name of the user being quoted, and clicking on that arrow will take you directly to the post which is quoted, in the correct thread.

Are you on the App? It drops many useful features like this, in order to keep things simple . . . IMO.

FWIW you can still use the main desktop AF site on a phone or tablet, but those small screens may not have the ease of the App, if one is used to that route.

Happy trails.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Reidsville , Georgia
My view with buying an older RV is similar to buying an older classic car. If you want it road worthy, gotta check it from end to end, top to bottom. Its worth it if you like tinkering with things to be fixed or upgraded.
Mike1997 is offline   Reply With Quote