Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Land Yacht/Legacy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2005, 09:24 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bay city , Michigan
1992 Airstream Legacy 34 Like Landyacht

what is the diff between the legacy and the landyacht? i am looking at possibly purchasing this unit and just thought it would be nice to hear from everyone, what special should i be looking for with this year and length unit it has the 454 chevy

thanks everyone

i am trying to keep in the AS family we will see how it goes
FireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 09:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Delamination of the sidewalls. I drove from MI to FL to look at one in 'excellent condition.' It was the worse I had ever seen.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 09:55 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bay city , Michigan
delam

are you saying delam of the per say wall paper on the inside or delamination of the fiberglass to the plywood on the exterior?
Old 05-13-2005, 10:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Exterior fiberglass to plywood. Very large areas on both sides in the rear and another very large area on the front left side. The interior wasn't that great either, but more from the lack of po even seeing to care. It was a shame seeing a rv that had to be really great 10 years earlier looking so rough.

John
Old 05-13-2005, 11:15 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bay city , Michigan
slight delam

ok so here is a pic i just got the seller to send me. his words where a small amount of delam caused by a previous leak. tell me what you think but it looks like a lot of delam to me, i wonder why he did not post this picture in the add ??

it is here

"http://www.airforums.com/photos/showimage.php?i=8773&c=3126"
Old 05-13-2005, 11:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Wow.... not sure I'd touch that with a 20' pole. Run away. There are much better coaches out there.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 11:40 AM   #7

I don't know much about Delamination, What is the issue with it besides it looking bad?
streamingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 12:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Some of the glue used in the early laminated wall rvs wasn't up to the task. Later the problem was usually the sign of a water leak. Depending on how long and severely it leaked the repair can be very expensive and a lot of work.

This guy did it and documented it. His pictures show the damage that can occur and the amount of work to repair it.

http://www.picturetrail.com/clubmaxxpch

John
Old 05-13-2005, 12:20 PM   #9

I have owned a couple of similar era landyachts and legacys. I know that they are prone to delamination, but in my opinion the real issue is whether or not the MotorHome is leaking water still or not. If a Motorhome has once had a leak that caused delamination but it has been fixed, you shouldn't be expieriencing any further delamination. If you can live with the cosmetic imperfections then you typically end up getting a great motorhome for less money. Airstreams are quality built Motorhomes, I wouldn't shy away because of some delamination, now I wouldn't pay top dollar for it either. You will probably pay a bit more for one that is in perfect condition. Just my 2 cents.
Dave.
Sibbersen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 12:29 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bay city , Michigan
value

with the delam that is shown in the picture what would you say the value of this coach would be? i think that the guy selling knows this is going to hurt his value huge that is why he doesn't have this picture shown.

too bad because the interior is very nice and it is an AS which i would love to have.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:39 PM   #11

Just looked out on RVtraderonline.com and found one exactly like the one you are referring too. They are asking 26,950.00 if that is correct, I would say take 7grand off for the delam. So best guess is around 20 as long as everything else is in good shape and works.
Sibbersen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 12:56 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bay city , Michigan
ill take my chances

it is on ebay and with no reserve it is in michigan as am i so it makes it desirable for me. never know maybe i can get it for a real steel. bid is only at 9k right now but two days left so never know especially due to the fact that the owner neglected to post the delam picture
Old 05-13-2005, 01:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
How many miles? It is tbi and most likely the 4L80E trans (not the best GM ever designed). How old are the tires? Air conditioning, refrigerator, furnace, are all big ticket to replace or repair, how are they?

What is the cargo capacity? There is a lot of rear overhang, it looks like it should have had a tag. Don't get into a situation where you can only carry a few hundred pounds of passenger, clothes, food, etc.

John
Old 05-13-2005, 02:11 PM   #14
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
That seems to be some leak to have started between the front salon windows and made its way all the way back to below the bedroom window. Again, its your call, but it seems it would be a delam from something more extensive than a leak.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:32 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
2005 30' Classic
1993 33' Land Yacht
Wellfleet , Massachusetts
Air Stream Delamination

I too just bought an Airstream without looking at it and when I picked it up I realised what had happened The roof leaked and the roof & sidewalls are delaminated . It wouldn't have done me any good to look at it because I didn't know what delamination was. You have done a very labor intensive job I'm not sure I could ever do that much work without throwing in the towel half was through the project .I guess once you got into it there was no turning back Just like an old house . I am just going to patch mine up Fix the leaks and use it until I think it becomes unsafe then park it or sell it for parts . Your a very ambitious person for sure .
Don
Don.44 is offline   Reply With Quote