Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2004, 12:30 PM   #1

1990 Airstream Motorhome

Hi. Purchased a used 1990 gas Airstream Motorhome awhile back. Would like to change out all the engine belts and all the engine hoses. How do you actually get into the engine compartment between the engin and the radiator?

Anyone actually done this? Can you give the the step by step?

Thanks, Ken.
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 12:47 PM   #2
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Ken,
Welcome to the forum! I have only changed the belts on my classic MH so hopefully someone else with a Land Yacht can chime in. We all have the P30 chassis and depending on how much room you have inside the engine compartment with the doghouse off you should be able to change them from inside the MH. I think many people have found that removing the front wheels to gain access from either wheel well helps.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 01:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
1990 should have 2 V belts (ps/ac/water pump and ps) and 1 ribbed (like a serpetine but no tensioner, water pump and alternator), they change from above and below. Alternator and ac are on top of the engine, ps is below.

Here's some numbers for you:

Upper radiator hose 61569 (Goodyear)
Lower radiator hose 61568 (Goodyear)
PS Belt 15411 (11AV1030) Goodyear
PS/AC/Water Pump Belt 15606 (11AV1525) Goodyear
Water Pump/Alternator Belt 4060522 (6PK1325) Goodyear

While you are in there I would check the fan clutch, if it is original it is probably shot.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 04:25 PM   #4
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
I have

You have to remove "doghouse" and work from rear of engine.

Loosen tensioner on AC compressor and alternator then work old belt (s) off. I have 33 ft LY with 454 P-30 chassis.

Mine has serpentine with dual belts for steering / brake pump that run up to AC.

Total of four belts on my unit. I do not have smog pump although it appears as though the unit may have had it at one time.

Careful not to lean on AC refrigerant lines when you are leaning forward into engine and chaffing you belly on the engine. I did and cost me AC line and new refrigerant.

You can reach through fan shroud from rear and work belt off over the fan. reverse process for installing new belt (s). This is even more fun when the engine is hot and you are replacing clutch fan in parking lot of "Autozone parts house". Listen up to earlier post and change out 60 dollar clutch fan while engine is cool and in your driveway. cheap insurance against a certain overheat scenario. Been there done that.... it sucked!

You can replace fan clutch from behind engine but much belly chaffing going on.

smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote