Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Winterizing ? 89 345

How about some tips ?

Does everyone remove the , Plug on the water heater ?
I do have a By Pass Valve. I pumped RV Pink stuff through all of the hot and cold lines. and removed the hot water tank plug and did not replace.

I drained the Holding tanks, Grey and Black, and poured 2 gallon, each tank total, in the traps and both holding tanks.
Washed the Outside at the car wash today, and filled the propane tank full. the gas is treated with Foam.

the fresh water holding tank is Empty also.
and the Motor Home is tucked away in a nice storage unit.

We just returned from a week in central W.V. with 6 grand children and our Two daughters and son in laws.

Everything is in great working Order.
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1993 36' Land Yacht
jackson , Tennessee
being from ky, i dont you think you need do anything more than go to your local home center and pick up a 1500 watt space heater. set it to turn on at 45 and off at 60. then enjoy the winter.
bukib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Hey John, Are you storing the MH? We live in ours & use just use a 1300-1500 watt heater. There's no need to heat if yo're just storing it. We stored our '89 345 in NY over 1 winter without any heat or problems. I did the same steps you have listed. The only thing different was to add dry gas & stable to the gas tank.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you did not blow the water lines out before adding the Pink Stuff you may still have water in the line from the city connection to where it joins the balance of the system. That is often a dead in line that won't drain on it's own.

Replace the hot water heater plug, with silicone tape on the threads now and you will be good to go in the spring. If left open small things may take up residence. I also like to put a Zip Loc bag with some moth balls in the outside of the heater. Place a 1/2 dozen balls in the bag and then poke a dozen holes in the bag. This way the balls will vaporize very slowly and keep spiders from nesting in the burner tube. I also place a small plastic bag in behind the heater door to keep the weather out and the moth ball smell in.

If your system has an AUTO FILL system you should open the auto fill valve for a few seconds while the system is under pressure with the pink stuff to fill that valve and line. Anothe dead end line that will not drain by it's self.

If you opened every faucet, including the outside shower, and got pink your system if full.

Leave your self some reminder that the water heater bypass is in winter mode. If you forget and turn the heater on in the spring without water in it you will get a surprise.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukib View Post
being from ky, i dont you think you need do anything more than go to your local home center and pick up a 1500 watt space heater. set it to turn on at 45 and off at 60. then enjoy the winter.
yes, I did that Also. thank You bukib
Old 12-10-2010, 06:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
If you did not blow the water lines out before adding the Pink Stuff you may still have water in the line from the city connection to where it joins the balance of the system. That is often a dead in line that won't drain on it's own.

Replace the hot water heater plug, with silicone tape on the threads now and you will be good to go in the spring. If left open small things may take up residence. I also like to put a Zip Loc bag with some moth balls in the outside of the heater. Place a 1/2 dozen balls in the bag and then poke a dozen holes in the bag. This way the balls will vaporize very slowly and keep spiders from nesting in the burner tube. I also place a small plastic bag in behind the heater door to keep the weather out and the moth ball smell in.

If your system has an AUTO FILL system you should open the auto fill valve for a few seconds while the system is under pressure with the pink stuff to fill that valve and line. Anothe dead end line that will not drain by it's self.

If you opened every faucet, including the outside shower, and got pink your system if full.

Leave your self some reminder that the water heater bypass is in winter mode. If you forget and turn the heater on in the spring without water in it you will get a surprise.
good points HowieE. Blew it all out from the filler Hose 1st. I will replace the WH. Plug for sure Tomorrow.
the one daughter we spent a week with in W.V. is from Ridgewood NJ. , she wants us to bring the Coach out there for Christmas I told her it it goes anyplace ?
It goes right down 127 to 111 to Chattanooga and I-75
South. No More Snow this winter
Old 12-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dog Nite View Post
Hey John, Are you storing the MH? We live in ours & use just use a 1300-1500 watt heater. There's no need to heat if yo're just storing it. We stored our '89 345 in NY over 1 winter without any heat or problems. I did the same steps you have listed. The only thing different was to add dry gas & stable to the gas tank.

Ricky
Sea foam is in the Tank. and fresh gas from the W.V. trip, High test, for the winter.

Your Just south West of Us down by Dale Hollow ? are you not. We cut through there on the way to Red Boiling springs and Nashville at times. 3 Dog
We are on lake Cumberland South of Jamestown at the State Park Resort, Dock Marina
Old 12-12-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
I usually drain the tanks, jack the front end up to angle the drain towards the back, add pink stuff to the gray and black tanks and traps, then pour 2-3 big bottles of cheap vodka into the fresh H2O tank and run the faucets till they start foaming. Don't forget to run your antifreeze of choice through the toilet, as the valve in the back is somewhat difficult to replace(yep, I learned that one the hard way), and the shower hose also needs draining. I have pulled the hot H20 tank plug in the past, but now I just run the tank till it sputters air, then add the vodka to the fresh tank and run the hot till it foams. The vodka, while seeming to be an eccentricity, has worked quite well in sub-zero temps, and is a lot easier to flush out than the pink stuff, and it somewhat sanitizes the lines. And, lastly, NO...the flushed out vodka might be potable, but I don't recommend its consumption...I know, I have tried...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
I found this ScrapIrony-2

1-01-2009, 12:49 AM #21 ScrapIrony-2
Rivet Master

Profile: 1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado Posts: 1,419

I use a couple of big bottles of cheap vodka to winterize our moho...empty the lines, add the vodka, and run it thru the pump till it foams coming out of the taps...much better than that pink stuff you have to flush and flush and flush...unfortunately, it doesn't taste too good, but, then, it's cheap...haven't tried rum, but...mike
Visit our blog Airstream Travels With Scrapirony
Old 12-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
Winterized?
Oh, yeah, I had to do that recently... I knew it was time when we had dew on the windshield the other morning... it was so chilly I had to put long pants on, but changed into shorts about 9am...
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
-2 at 0730 the morning before we left for AZ...winterizing is a requirement in Silverton...
Old 12-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
RE Quote

John,
I've slept since then, so couldn't remember how to reference it...thanks...
Waking up every morning with a clean slate is...well...interesting, anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggard View Post
I found this ScrapIrony-2

1-01-2009, 12:49 AM #21 ScrapIrony-2
Rivet Master

Profile: 1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado Posts: 1,419

I use a couple of big bottles of cheap vodka to winterize our moho...empty the lines, add the vodka, and run it thru the pump till it foams coming out of the taps...much better than that pink stuff you have to flush and flush and flush...unfortunately, it doesn't taste too good, but, then, it's cheap...haven't tried rum, but...mike
Visit our blog Airstream Travels With Scrapirony
Old 12-12-2010, 07:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Winterized?
Oh, yeah, I had to do that recently... I knew it was time when we had dew on the windshield the other morning... it was so chilly I had to put long pants on, but changed into shorts about 9am...
we have had snow for 2 days now, about 4 inches

looks like it will be in the 20's for all of next week Keyair