Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2022, 10:57 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Jax , Florida
Window seal

Sooooo. I got the sledge from Vintage for the sliding window. I bought one piece to see if it would really fit the glass and channel. It does very well except…..it’s two feet , two inches too short. Not a surprise. I am very happy otherwise. So I called them to find out if they can get it in 10 feet, 6inch lengths. They were very helpful and are checking now.

There is another question…..The sliding glass had a small handle at the rear edge to help with opening or closing. Both of mine are rusted off but the rivet and base is still in the glass. I think I can use a dremal tool to remove it but is it possible to locate replacements? It worries me that putting a rivet back through the glass might break it if I wanted it to be tight. Any thoughts? And of course I hope everyone had a great holiday season.
Kitester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 01:41 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Beaumont , California
Don’t use rivets

Use brass or stainless steel screws and blue Loktite on the threads.

Use plastic flat washers to isolate the metal from the glass
Ndcctrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:58 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Jax , Florida
Those are good ideas ….I also thought about finding a drawer pull that I could use glue to attach the front and back half through the glass
Kitester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:29 AM   #4
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitester View Post
Those are good ideas ….I also thought about finding a drawer pull that I could use glue to attach the front and back half through the glass
I am assuming you are describing the cockpit sliders?

There are many threads describing changing the seals and recommending not to use the original (wire backed) type seal for various reasons.

In terms of the latch, it is a latch not just a handle and so acts as the locking mechanism for the slider. Without the latch function anyone can simply slide the glass panel and get access to your motorhome.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote