Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2017, 02:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Where does the white wire go?

I have a 84 Excella 270 MH and I am trying to draw out the full wiring schematic for the DC power. I have done my own wiring mods for Solar, inverters and converters, and the one mystery remaining is where does the 8 gauge white wire go?
On mine the house fuse panel is in the first bay under the couch, behind the MH door. I know where all the other wires go, but the large white wire comes from the 50 amp fuse and disappears into the wall, and it does not come out at the house batteries as the manual claims.
Has anyone ever traced where this wire actually terminates?
Thanks
Wayne
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
Can you check continuity at the 12v power supply ? Sounds to me like the main power from univolt ( or what ever brand you upgraded to). Could also be from the battery isolator. Check that if it's not the univolt.
Gregsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
The #8 white might be the ground wire for the univolt. Disconnect all power and then take a resistance reading to ground from the white wire.

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 04:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Univolt is gone, my converter & inverter are wired differently, and closer to the batteries.
I use the House fuse box 50A fuses to power a small inverter and the air compressor for the air ride system, and I just want to be sure the white wire goes some place that makes sense. I could just ground both devices to the frame, but if the white wire ground is good, it should be fine to use.
If it was done to spec, the white wire should have terminated at the house battery, but I dont see it there
Old 02-25-2017, 05:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Depends on whose spec you're talking about! Airstream did things their own way. I'm betting it's a ground wire that is connected to an aluminum rib inside the wall. Disconnect one end and take a resistance reading, that should tell you.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
It looks like the wire goes up when it is in the wall, so I pulled the AC shroud which is above the location the wire goes in the wall. I can see a similar size white wire in the bundle that runs along the AC opening.

You cant see it in this old photo, but it is in there.

The weather temps dropped 20 degrees so I need to wait to see where it may be heading from there.
Boy do I miss working on fighter jets, at least they had access panels to get to all the wiring!
Old 02-26-2017, 05:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Tipp City , Ohio
Does it look like this? See the white wire on the upper right on the fuse panel. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0050.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	525.0 KB
ID:	280549

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0010.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	565.0 KB
ID:	280550Sounds to me like the neutral from the univolt to the fuse panel. Mine had a fuse from the factory so I used one as well. Not really sure why you would need one.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:43 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Schaumburg , Illinois
Is the white wire a two conductor cable?? It looks like that from the photo. Please verify before I go any further..thanks

Pease in our time"
pressdr
Pressdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:29 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
My house fuse panel is similar to you picture, I have a photo of mine attached. Taking that photo, I found how they grounded the 12 volt system in this vehicle!
The large white wire (6 or 8 gauge on the left) goes up inside the wall to supply the ground for everything on the house circuit in the MH. The large red (same gauge) goes through the floor behind the panel and ends up at the house batteries.
The OEM converter use to go to the right side of those fuses and sit behind the fuse panel. I removed that and installed a PD9260 closer to the batteries. I use the fuses to power my air compressor and a small inverter for the TV and sound system via the red & black wire.
I did not notice the bare wire going to the right side of the negative fuse. That goes through the floor to frame ground.
I am not sure if there is another ground in the House system, but it looks like this one is only a 12 (maybe a 10) gauge wire, which is lame to power the full current draw the system is designed to handle. I think I may route a 6 or 8 gauge following the path of the red back to the house batteries ground.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HouseFuseBox.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	280650  
Old 02-28-2017, 06:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Tipp City , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressdr View Post
Is the white wire a two conductor cable?? It looks like that from the photo. Please verify before I go any further..thanks

Pease in our time"
pressdr
Sorry, but the pic I posted is a couple years old. I replaced the fuse panel with a new one and replaced the univolt with a Boondocker 75 amp. I replaced all the wires with new ones. You will just have to take the pic for what it is worth. I recall a solid #8 running from the univolt to the frame and a hot and a negative running to the fuse panel.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:52 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Referring to my previous image,
I did a mod to the ground wire. I removed the bare 12 gauge wire from the right side of the ground fuse to frame ground and replaced it with a shorter 8 gauge wire to the frame.
Today I did a test with a DC clamp on ammeter running the air compressor.
The compressor was drawing 19 amps.
The new ground wire showed 11 amps
The large white wire on the left side of the ground fuse that is going through the wall to the side of the roof AC shows about 5 amps.
The numbers to do not add up exactly but clamp on DC amp meters are not accurate to begin with.
The results tell me that most of the House wiring is grounded, as it should be, through the updated ground wire to the frame. There are still parasitic grounds through the large white wire that goes overhead to who knows where, bringing me back to the original question.

BTW, with the larger ground wire, the compressor and furnace fan runs better than before, (along with the repair in another post where I found and tightened the screw to the +12 volt 50 amp fuse slightly loose)
Old 03-17-2017, 06:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Wayne, these pictures might give you a better idea of how Airstream perfected the grounding problem

Name:	74-argosy-univolt-grounding-points.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	281596Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-univolt-grounding-points1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	281597

I have to do some floor frame repairs so tonight and when I pulled the inside skin off this is what I found. The univolt sat on the floor right by the ground connections.

Both the black and the white wires went to separate ground lugs that were fastened with screws that passed through the aluminum frame down into the steel 1"x 2" floor frame.

Brad