Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2014, 06:30 PM   #1
"Alumi-holic"

1982 31' Airstream 310
Bartlett , Tennessee
What's In Your Emergency Roadside Spare Parts List

Thanks to SebasF inquiry to the forum that inspired this thread...

"Has anyone on this forum put together an emergency roadside spare parts kit list?
I had a real adventure replacing a dead coil in the middle if nowhere (look up 40 miles north of Madras OR) last summer."

I just started assembling my kit:

1. Spare 30 & 40 Amp Fuses for the Converter
2. Spare 5, 7.5, 10. 15, 20. 25 and 30 Amp fuses for the Chassis
3. Shurflo Water Pump
4. Isolator
5. Fan Belts
6. Gas filters for pump, inline from tank and carb
7. Radiator Hoses
8. Heater Hoses
9. Hose Clamps
10. Spare light Bulbs for chassis
11. Spare light bulbs for coach
12. Spare water filter for city water
13. Spare water filter for kitchen sink
cesalie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I had enough with messing around on the side of the road.

My emergency roadside service kit is the phone number of my emergency road side service insurer. (Good Sam in my case)

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
On Going where it ain't...

A few things, absent in their proximity to nowhere, are:
Fuel pump(in-line).
Voltage regulator(don't let them sell you one for a FORD)...
If you can find a spare front hub(I know, I know), stash it where you can have it shipped overnight. We spent 10 days in Kingman AZ while Freightliner looked for a hub(special creature), then went online and found it ourselves in Minnesota(THANK YOU Barthmobile forums!!!)...they had two, and I bought both...
I guess duct tape is a foregone conclusion?
Various radiator hose clamps.
Old spark plug to plug the fuel line when replacing the in-line filter.
Quik-caps for those pesky waterline floods.
VOLTMETER
Patience with a sense of humor...
Haven't been everywhere-done all, but sometimes it feels like it...
m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Honokaa , Hawaii
Ignition module gadget for the HEI distributor.
Waipio Rim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:52 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by cesalie2 View Post
I just started assembling my kit:

1. Spare 30 & 40 Amp Fuses for the Converter
2. Spare 5, 7.5, 10. 15, 20. 25 and 30 Amp fuses for the Chassis
3. Shurflo Water Pump
4. Isolator
5. Fan Belts
6. Gas filters for pump, inline from tank and carb
7. Radiator Hoses
8. Heater Hoses
9. Hose Clamps
10. Spare light Bulbs for chassis
11. Spare light bulbs for coach
12. Spare water filter for city water
13. Spare water filter for kitchen sink
Where feasible, I like my spares pre-installed.

In other words, if you think you should carry a spare radiator hose or heater hose, don't. If there's any doubt at all, just replace it. Hoses do not fail without warning.

Otherwise, I'd add, for a trip away from reliable parts sources:
1) tire plugs
2) alternator
3) starter
4) water pump
5) fluids -- engine oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid
Old 02-01-2014, 01:00 PM   #6
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Air……in my spare tire…….Don't ask me how I know that having air in ones spare tire is a good thing…….long story, involving a long dark highway in the middle of the night very far from home, car with brake lights shorted out and leaking gas from a fuel line, (both occuring during this journey), helpful police and a motorist with the correct lug wrench, a tow truck driver that just so happened to have a GM rim with tire mounted to it in his garage which he sold it to me for $25 bucks loaded on my car to replace the temp spare I had with …..you guessed it…..no air in it.

Don't forget to air up the spare…

Cheers
Tony
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
I cannot speak from much experience in the motorhome yet.... but I have learned from years of owning old cars and doing long trips, and have my list already...
Telling the guy behind the counter its a belt or hose for a 1984 P30 does not help much....
So, a list of all the part or interchange numbers for belts/hoses/etc

One BIG deal... and its one I take seriously.. for electrical fires...
As several here will agree, we have to be concerned about this possibility..
A hefty bolt cutter close to hand to cut the ground battery cable/cables in case of a big short... maybe you have time to disconnect batteries... but maybe not!
A large fire extinguisher or TWO!
Step 1 is disconnect power, step 2 is put out what is still burning...
Comprehensive First Aid Kit!

Add a few flashlights, and flares... I like to have my European style emergency triangle onboard too.

One of my favorite tools is my Costco Jump Box... 12v Battery, light, and air compressor all in an easy to carry box...
My Powerprobe 3 and Short finder will be going with me too.
A spare plastic governor gear for the TH475 is under $10 so that is in there too... when it strips it leaves you stranded in 1st gear...
Yes to the HEI unit. I upgraded my coil and so the stock one is in my spares box, as well as the old plug wires, as both were fine.
Engine oil, Trans Fluid, Undiluted Coolant, Brake Fluid, Power Steering fluid, Seafoam, WD40, are a few things I have stashed.
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
What's In Your Emergency Roadside Spare Parts List

While I don't have direct motorhome experience, I do tow with a 1975 Cadillac with the 8.2 Liter V8 and 425 Turbohydramatic and both motor and transmission share many parts with those found in the Airstream and Argosy motorhomes. My repair parts bin for travel in the Cadillac include:
  • HEI Ignition Module -- usually 2 in the spare parts bin as I find this to be on of the most frequently used replacement parts.
  • Metal Valve Stems for the unique First/Second generation Eldorado (at least two in the parts bin at all times) -- I have been told that these are the same as those used on the Airstream Motorhome front wheels.
  • Complete set of fan belts as there are two of the three that are evidently unusual enough that I always have to order them from my local parts store.
  • Mechanical fuel pump as the current replacement pumps seem to make it two or three seasons and then fail totally without warning.
  • Oil filters. I typically carry at least three as I prefer Bosch or WIX oil filters, and it seems easier to have my own than hope that the repair shop has or will source my preferred brand.
  • Spark Plug Wire Set. Since the car is fairly uncommon in today's environment, I find that the high quality "custom" wire sets that I like to use on the high temperature Eldorado application are not readily available without special order.
  • Distributor Cap and Rotor. While I have only had one issue with the cap, I have had rotor problems periodically when traveling in mountainous terrain.
  • Fuel Filter. I carry both the sintered brass fuel filter that fits in the carburetor as well as an extra in-line filter as that old V8 does like to have free flowing fuel particularly when in mountainous terrain.
  • Windshield wiper relay. I have had this part fail twice while traveling, and it is one that is becoming increasingly difficult to find. The last one failed when I didn't have a spare and each time I needed the wipers it required stopping, opening the hood and banging the relay with a screw driver handle to shock it into operation.
  • Transmission filter. Since the 425 Turbohydramatic hasn't been in regular production since 1978 (granted, most parts are shared with the 400 Turbohydramatic), I travel with an extra filter and modulator valve as well. Having these two parts in stock meant a comparatively short delay when the modulator valve began malfunctioning and I was in unknown terrain . . . the mechanic indicated that his local parts source would have had to order the parts with a likely 48-hour delay for parts arrival.
  • As others have mentioned, I too carry an assortment of fuses to fit all of the uses in the old Cadillac's fuse box.
  • I have been considering adding a water pump to what I carry in my spare parts bin, but as I have only had to have it replaced once I never have felt that it is as great of a necessity.
  • The same thought has been to add a heavy duty alternator to my parts bin as that is one part that failed on my last major trip with the car in 2008 that caused a four day delay (included a weekend) as the part had to be special ordered.
Having traveled with cars more than 20 years old for much of my life, I find that spare parts are quite helpful when the chassis and drivetrain are significantly different from what local mechanics may be accustomed to working upon where I may be traveling.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:41 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Where feasible, I like my spares pre-installed.

In other words, if you think you should carry a spare radiator hose or heater hose, don't. If there's any doubt at all, just replace it. Hoses do not fail without warning.

Otherwise, I'd add, for a trip away from reliable parts sources:
1) tire plugs
2) alternator
3) starter
4) water pump
5) fluids -- engine oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid
Brand new hose can and will fail!. What if a thermostat fails and you over heat the engine before you know it you could possible expand the hose and create a weak spot that could then fail going down the road. That pre-installed spare just left you beside the road somewhere.
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote