Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2019, 04:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
What is this red stain on the pillars?

Hey folks,
For the first time I have noticed a weird red stain on the pillars next to the passenger and driver’s seats and a similar but much more dramatic effect on either side of the emergency exit window in the back of the motyho (1986 345 moho).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8033.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	538.2 KB
ID:	355648

Name:	IMG_8034.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	368.6 KB
ID:	355649

Name:	IMG_8036.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	355650

Name:	IMG_8038.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	630.3 KB
ID:	355651

Are these burns? She was stored in the Nevada desert for 3 years.

When I scrape at the stains in the front with my finger, nothing happens. But in the back you can see the vinyl is red and crumbling.

If it is a burn, can I just paint over it? Or is there a deeper problem we now have to fix?

Thanks!
Jenniflow
Old 11-04-2019, 07:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
Interesting appearance considering where you say it is stored. To me it looks like a mold and mildew issue. But in the dessert....

Has it been exposed to any major rain events and there are some leaky seams that let water in, then warm temperatures and things took off growing?
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Question Mold or what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweybright View Post
Interesting appearance considering where you say it is stored. To me it looks like a mold and mildew issue. But in the dessert....

Has it been exposed to any major rain events and there are some leaky seams that let water in, then warm temperatures and things took off growing?
I was wondering something similar. I don't see any evidence on the walls near the front seats of a leak, but there could be something nearby.

The rear window doesn't close well, so there may have been some leaks there. There haven't been big rains but maybe there have been steady leaks over a period of time?

The thing is, it doesn't feel or smell like mold now, it looks more burnt. And there is no perceptible texture to the stuff near the front pillars. I can make no impression on it with my finger or fingernail.

I wonder if there was mold inside the material, under the vinyl surface, and then high temps burned it?

Has anyone here ever seen anything like it?
Old 02-03-2020, 09:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
What is this red stain on the pillars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniflow View Post
I was wondering something similar. I don't see any evidence on the walls near the front seats of a leak, but there could be something nearby.

The rear window doesn't close well, so there may have been some leaks there. There haven't been big rains but maybe there have been steady leaks over a period of time?

The thing is, it doesn't feel or smell like mold now, it looks more burnt. And there is no perceptible texture to the stuff near the front pillars. I can make no impression on it with my finger or fingernail.

I wonder if there was mold inside the material, under the vinyl surface, and then high temps burned it?

Has anyone here ever seen anything like it?

It’s sunburn.
Got it on mine, made worse by the Refectix window covers I added.
I wrote a thread about it in the window cover section of the trailer forums.
Old 02-03-2020, 02:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Thumbs up Reflectix, burns, and fire hazard

Hey Steve,
Thanks for this alert. It really does look like a burn to me, too, and I don't even have Reflectix!

Here's the thread for anyone else interested. It's important because if it's hot enough to do this, it could get hot enough to create even more damage:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...ws-193725.html