Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-22-2018, 08:15 AM   #21
Vintage Only

1966 26' Overlander
Ramona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfconnor View Post
Sorry msg was cut off. Was about to say that you could then have more time to decide how you want to proceed. If you decide not to keep it I am sure it couldbe sold. Heck I might even make an offer. I live to see older airstreams preserved and I enjoy interesting projects like this. Other than whatever costs are involved such as tires I am not looking to get paid. But would appreciate right of first refusual if you decide to opt out if trying to get it to canada. Send me a private message ir look me up on linked in and we can connect via phone.
And please forgive my typos! Early AM and tiny phone keypad. Can the uncle not send you some photos? Still will need to have someone see it close up but would at least give you some idea of the starting point. The prior suggestions of tasks are coming from experienced owners and thus you should take them to heart. You may not have to do them all but if you don't likely Murphy's law will be invoked on those items.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:31 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
almena , Wisconsin
Still Take it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Actually, another good reason not to have a tag axle.....the 310 can be towed from the front, driveshaft removed, without damage; it doesn't need a low-boy trailer.

No way are you towing a 32.5' long, 10'6" high motorhome on a high deck tow vehicle.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
Ok. Was not aware of the dimensions of the 310. It would obviously need to be hauled on a stepdeck. With that long of a wheelbase it will need to be loaded from a low loading dock. Any construction equipment dealer or road construction type company in the area will have one. To hire a tow truck to bring it to Canada I believe would be cost prohibitive and you would probably need to put new tires on it to tow it. I guess the reasons I recommend this route is that you wouldn’t have the expense of being there to oversee everything and will be 100% guaranteed to be delivered to where you want it with no problems. The trucking company will take care of all of it. This is the business I am in and this is what we do.
mykytiukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:13 PM   #23

1983 31' Airstream310
Cranbrook , British Columbia
Just to follow up...
I ended up having to pass on the Airstream. It was a little more weathered than I had expected, and my schedule was too busy to travel down South. I believe another lucky individual is taking this project on, so hopefully it will be back on the road soon enough. Just too bad it didn’t work out for me. Thanks to everyone for all the advise and information. It is great to know there are that many experts out there, willing to help others.
And401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:15 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Too BAD . .

I live in Victoria and have done that road trip a few times. Was just about to offer help or suggest I could take it off your hands.

Kris
Kristof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 12:34 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Nanoose Bay , British Columbia
It may need to be Canadian-ized to bring it up here. Canadian Tire is the agent for certifying that and there’s info on the web. You’ll pay GST and PST (if bringing it to a PST destination) on the fair market value so be prepared to substantiate that number if you get it for free.
gnijman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:02 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1975 21' Globetrotter
Lincoln , California
Say Yes.. He may have been driving it or started it up regularly. The tires are probably a no-brainer and a lot of tire dealers offer to check the brakes while the tires are off. If you need a stop over on your way north I have 10 acres and would love to see it. Just outside Sacramento. Good Luck, Gary A
sac1gaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:23 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
Where specifically is it now?

Hi,
Thinking the most true local party to help or store may be of timely help.

It it’s local to some, (or us) we could physically see and deal with storing or eventually finding an good and efficient offer.

(Selfishly, may offer directly but ......trying to rid other projects).
Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote