Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grosse Pointe Park , Michigan
We are aligned and ready for the road

We picked up the 280 Turbo Diesel today and she is aligned and ready to go for our roadtrip tomorrow to Canandaigua Lake in upstate NY. The mechanics agreed that it would be more trouble than it's worth to install the bell housing supports as once installed, the bottom cover would no longer fit and considering it took 27 years for the first flywheel to crack, we should leave her alone. Because I still have not heard back from the factory I will take the mechanics' advice and leave her alone for now. If the factory provides me with some sort of service document and the rest of the parts for installation, then maybe I'll look into it again, but so far most people have been perplexed by the undrilled supports with no information for what seems to be an incomplete kit.

The shop gave me the specs for the alignment and from the looks of it, she was in dire need (thanks to all who suggested it). They also did a many point inspection to make sure we were good to go and aside from a bad wire that had been causing a battery draw, they gave us a clean bill of health. Hubby said she felt great driving home. Water heater goes in tomorrow and then we're off. The only downside to the time in the shop was the grime they left on the carpet which I vacuumed and then scrubbed away--I am NOT happy about that. They should have put down paper or something.

Now, keep fingers crossed that we aren't transferred to Europe necessitating a sale! I finally got hubby convinced that now that so many kinks have been worked out, we should keep her, and then we get a possible job transfer to Europe! Oy.
Sorry to miss the Metro Detroit rally--we wish you great weather and great fun.
"A Silver Lining" or Silvie for short
"Ah, well. I'm off to get my life sustaining supplies - cornmeal and gunpowder, hamhocks and guitar strings."
swanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:19 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Audrey,

Glad to hear you're back up and going again. Safe travels and by all means keep us posted as to your successes.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
We sure wish you could have joined us! You would have been our first Classic Motorhome. Well, we will put a log on the fire in your honor and you better not miss next year!
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote