Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
Aluminated

1977 31' Sovereign
1987 29' Airstream 290
Norman , Oklahoma
Water spotting on polished finish

I'm about half way through polishing my 87 290 motor home. It looks fantastic but I've noticed each morning when the dew drop[s accumulate on the aluminum it leaves trails down the side and it takes more Nuvite S to remove them! That's a problem. Has anybody used a good quality wax polish after polishing with Nuvite to keep the shine on the final finish? I don't want to go through the whole addition of clear coat as they did in the factory in 1987! Any advive?
ericjan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I use Maguires caranuba wax on my trailer. Make sure you put the polish on before you finish up for the day--that way you won't have one step forward, two steps back!! (don't ask how I know!!)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I followed Becky's lead and polished our 86 some years ago. I call it a poor man's method of refinishing an old Airstream with faded clearcoat.

Becky didn't tell me about water spotting, bird dropings, hazing, swirl marks, and hail damage. A polished Airstream is more maintenance than one with a mill finish and clearcoat. Every blimish sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm betting that is why Airstream went with a mill finish and clearcoat way back in the 60s.

I have found that a polymer sealant like Nu Finish works for me. It lasts a bit longer than wax, and I don't get the haze from the wax quite a bad. It does help repel the dew and rain water spots.

Nuvite polish residue is a bear. I have not found a good way to remove it. Corn starch and micorfiber towel gets some of it. Otherwise just leave it as polished for a few months. I found that Windex will remove some water spots if you catch them early. It does seem to "wear off" after a while.

Then I apply the Nu Finish with my Cyclo.

David
dbj216 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
I followed Becky's lead and polished our 86 some years ago. I call it a poor man's method of refinishing an old Airstream with faded clearcoat.

Becky didn't tell me about water spotting, bird dropings, hazing, swirl marks, and hail damage. A polished Airstream is more maintenance than one with a mill finish and clearcoat. Every blimish sticks out like a sore thumb. I'm betting that is why Airstream went with a mill finish and clearcoat way back in the 60s.

I have found that a polymer sealant like Nu Finish works for me. It lasts a bit longer than wax, and I don't get the haze from the wax quite a bad. It does help repel the dew and rain water spots.

Nuvite polish residue is a bear. I have not found a good way to remove it. Corn starch and micorfiber towel gets some of it. Otherwise just leave it as polished for a few months. I found that Windex will remove some water spots if you catch them early. It does seem to "wear off" after a while.

Then I apply the Nu Finish with my Cyclo.

David
Sorry I didn't tell you about all the bad sides of the polish job....you're right, it's a lot of maintenance! But it's also a lot of beauty -- especially a 34 footer! I've downsized the polishing to just 17' so I've go a lot less to polish!
I've found that clean up goes very fast with mineral spirits on a VIVA paper towel. Viva doesn't leave scratch marks on your polish & the mineral spirits cut right through the leftover black stuff round rivets & in seams. Make doubly sure you wax, with whatever you choose to wax with, before you finish up for the day, because you'll take any wax from the Nuvite with your clean up with mineral spirits!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:34 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Halifax , Nova Scotia
This is what I used. Works very well, good shine and protection.
Attached Images

Gilmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Has anybody tried an acrylic floor wax to seal out the water? I found it holds up good when I did 3 coats after doing a super wash with barkeepers friend and a lot of rinsing on my fiberglass boat. Biggest problem is anything left on the surface, cracks, or rivets will be picked up by the wax and looks like mud on a white surface. Aluminum might have a problem with the ammonia solution when you decide to remove the wax, but it would be easier to remove than clearcoat.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote