Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2014, 09:48 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1991 30' Airstream 30
San Francisco , California
Water in passenger footwell area?

As some of you may have heard, we have been having some much needed rain out here in California. As a result, we are also finding all the leaks in our rigs...
I put new caulking around the windshield in a break in the weather, and this is working really well. I also hit the mirrors.
All good except there is still water soaking into the nice mush of fiberboard and carpet in the passenger footwell area?!!
Any ideas on where this leak could be from?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
SebasSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Is the sliding window track overflowing?
streamquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 03:48 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
I'm not familiar with your rig but being a auto tech for 34 years a lot of people forget that the a.c. System if the drain line gets plugged can overfill the evaporator case and leaves the floor area around the passengers feet very wet and sometimes the drivers floor depends on vehicle design. The drain line gets plugged when leaves enter the heating ,cooling system from most vehicle hood area near wipers then they brake into small pieces once they hit the evaporator coil and then fall down in the case to the drain area and then plug the drain ,once the a.c has been running for awhile and remouve moisture from the air and then drips into the evaporator case but can't drain do to the blockage the tray overflows in the floor of the vehicle.

Don
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:24 AM   #4
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebasSF View Post
As some of you may have heard, we have been having some much needed rain out here in California. As a result, we are also finding all the leaks in our rigs...
I put new caulking around the windshield in a break in the weather, and this is working really well. I also hit the mirrors.
All good except there is still water soaking into the nice mush of fiberboard and carpet in the passenger footwell area?!!
Any ideas on where this leak could be from?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
As Steamquest said, check your track drainage and you may have to take your interior side panels off to see if Airstream installed drainage tubes in your model. They may be clogged. It all has to do with the overall poor design of the windows and the use of the terrible track material, that rusts and clogs drains.
I even installed drainage tubes on my 79 model, years before Airstream added them, since I was not able to stop the leaking.
If your channel material is the metal kind, you may want to consider changing to this rubber/felt material:
AS1268 Flexible Flocked Lining All-Rubber | Hi-Tech Glazing Supplies
It allows you to cut precision drainage holes, confirms tightly around curves if you slice it on the back every 1/4" at the curves and best of all its cheap and does not rust.
Attached Images

AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:07 PM   #5
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
All of the above ideas are great plus one more....Check your clearance lamps. I removed two and found misplaced drill holes that hadn't been sealed up properly.
Attached Images

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Hi SebasSF,

As others have said your leak could be from any or all of the sources mentioned. I had the same issue with the passenger floor in the cab. Fixing the damage isn't as bad as it may seem, but finding the actual water leak is a nightmare.

The water that damaged my floor was coming from the top of the windshield area and dripping down the center windshield post. The dash area next to the windshield would fill with water and then leak down the right side and onto the floor.

Issue is that to this day I really don't know where the water is actually getting into the interior. I try to seal the windshield gasket and the windshield still leaks. Once I stop the water from running off the front of the awning rail and down the side of the MH, then my windshield no longer leaks. I'm assuming the water is getting in at the front cap seam or at the top of the front passenger side window.

In fixing the floor, I cut out the worst section of the plywood and patched it. Some of the remaining plywood was only rotten on the first layer or two. I dug out the rot and repaired it some wood filler. I didn't worry about making it look pretty since it would be covered with carpet.

During one of the many, many times I was "under" the dash, I also hose clamped all the A/C evaporator drain lines as scamp has mentioned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0031.JPG (9).jpg
Views:	129
Size:	334.6 KB
ID:	229193   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0033.JPG (9).jpg
Views:	131
Size:	348.1 KB
ID:	229194  

Name:	IMG_6864.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	518.9 KB
ID:	229195   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0009.JPG (21).jpg
Views:	119
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	229196  

Name:	DSC_0014.JPG (22).jpg
Views:	116
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	229197   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0016.JPG (17).jpg
Views:	147
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	229198  

Name:	IMG_6868.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	375.4 KB
ID:	229199   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5274.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	229200  

Name:	IMG_5276.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	229201   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5300.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	229202  

dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:53 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
As Isuzusweet said, I found that the clearance light sealing had dried out and shrank and cracked. One of my parts/repair people confirmed this, said his FIL had the same model as me, and I resealed before the big rains and it is still dry! The front cap to roof is usually visible when you are on tip, but these lights are more challenge to inspect and repair.