Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
1999 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Andalusia , Alabama
Water hose reel repair

Streamers,
I have just finished resealing my fresh water hose reel assembly. IT CAN BE DONE!
One of the biggest problems with gaining access to the reel is taking the lower part of the reel bin apart. I found that a 50/50 mixture of Acetone and automatic transmission fluid will penetrate the rusted bolts, so they will come apart with no trouble. Really, you must give it a try. Just make sure you do not get it on your paint.
Start by removing the 7 bolts that hold the lower bin section on, and get it out of the way.
Use the mixture on the two self locking nuts on the back side of the bin that hold the reel. I put a floor jack under the reel to support it as the bolts were removed. Unscrew the lower union nut on the plastic water line. Make sure you do not put any strain on the plastic. With the help of a screwdriver, you can then slide the plastic tube off of the union. Make sure the reel is in the "locked" position, and take the lower hose roller loose to get the end of the hose out. With the reel out of the coach, now the repair is easy.
With care, let all of the spring tension unwind from the reel by letting the mount rotate slowly until it wants to stop. Mark the orientation of the fitting, and remove the plastic 90 degree fitting from the hose shaft. Loosen the lock nut on the large set screw, and remove the set screw. Now pull the mount off of the reel shaft. Once the mount is removed, take spring holder loose from the reel by removing the small nuts around the outer edge, and pull it off of the reel.
Now turn the reel over and remove the hose from the brass adapter. Remove the spigot from the end of brass adapter. Remove the snap ring from the end of the shaft, and pull the shaft out of the brass adapter. Remove the 3 small nuts holding the brass adapter to the reel, and remove.
I cleaned up the inside of the brass adapter with some very fine sandpaper. The two O rings on the shaft are standard O rings that are available at Ace Hardware. I replaced the drain spigot with a brass pipe plug and Teflon tape. Get a pipe plug that fits the other end of the shaft as well. (The end the plastic 90 goes into). This is a good time to replace your hose. Get the best 25 footer you can.
To reassemble, start by attaching the new hose to the brass adapter with a new hose seal, and let the hose lay out through the opening in the reel. Attach the brass adapter to the reel with the 3 small nuts. Be careful to not over torque the nuts. Lube the new O rings with silicone grease, as well as the shaft, and the inside of the brass adapter. Slide the O rings onto the shaft into their locations. Carefully slide the shaft into the brass adapter, and replace the snap ring. The pipe plug should already be installed in this end of the shaft.
Now the spring holder is installed onto the reel, being careful to not over torque the small nuts. Looking at the mount end of the shaft, you will notice that there is a small relief in the shaft where the set screw will seat. Mark the end of the shaft with a marker so the relief can be lined up with the set screw. Slide the mount onto the shaft, and install the set screw. Tighten the screw and then the lock nut.
To do a leak test, install the other pipe plug into the shaft loosely. Hook the hose to a water source. Let the air out of the unit by loosening that last plug. No leaks...good. Wind the spring back up by holding the reel and winding the mount. If there seems to be no tension, you are going the wrong way. It will only wind up in one direction. I think I wound mine up about 12-15 rotations. Put the reel in the "locked' position.
Now the unit is ready to put back into the coach.
Install the plastic 90 into the shaft with teflon tape, and put back to it's original orientation. As you jack up the reel into the coach, just slide the plastic tube back onto the union. Leave the union loose until the two reel mount bolts are tight, then tighten the union nut. Put the hose through the rollers, and now you can pull the hose to unlock the reel and let it wind up. Replace the lower bin section, and you are done.
Good luck and have fun, Rob
Pictures to follow.
Robfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:13 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Andalusia , Alabama
Water Hose Reel Repair

These pictures should help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Water hose 002.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	90692   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Water hose 008.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	90693  

Name:	AS Water hose 004.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	90694   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Water hose 005.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	90695  

Name:	AS Water hose 001.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	90696   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Water hose 007.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	90697  

Name:	AS Water hose 006.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	90698   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Water hose 010.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	90699  

Old 11-12-2009, 12:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
WOW!!! I don't have a hose reel, just power cord, but I think I have the process somewhat understood...GREAT post...thanks...mike
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
This one definately gets printed and put in my 'how to' folder. Great details. Changing the hose is on my to-do list, sometime in near future.

I never heard of your 50/50 mix for rusted bolts. Did it seem to penetrate right away or does it have to sit and soak for a while?
Sure sounds logical and worth a try. Thanks.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
Gunter

1966 24' Tradewind
1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Greenville , Ohio
Where is the drain petcock located and does it drain the hose reel and any water left above it in the water line. I have never drained mine and have had not any problems but you never know.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
I had never used the hose, always use the water in the tank, then one day I hooked it up. The hose was a sprinkler hose with all the cracks in it. I replaced the hose. Had to remove the electric reel to get to the hose reel. Mine didn't have a hose screw-on, it was hose clamped to a barbed fitting. Not an ease job, but that's why we like them.
mel
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:28 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Andalusia , Alabama
Guys,
The 50/50 Acetone and Automatic trans fluid mix works in just a couple of minutes. If you put it on and wait too long it evaporates and you have to put more on. It really is amazing.
The drain cock is located in the brass adapter end of the shaft. (Facing forward in the coach) There is no access to it when it is installed in the coach, so it is just another source of a possible leak. I replaced it with a brass pipe plug to eliminate the chance.
Rob
Old 11-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Do you drain with gravity, pressure, or vacuum? Haven't tried your magic mixture, but will when I next need to...
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
When they cut corners for the newer models this neat item was eliminated, how do I retrofit one, or both reels, space is available in the existing trunk of the Land Yacht 30. Must be nice to give a tug and have the hose and/or electric retract. Next time I am at a rv salvage yard maybe this would be a good item to look for, did any other brand use them?
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
I for one can live without the hose reel but the electric reel is one that I've lusted over since I aquired Airstream One.

The problem is that they ain't cheap! Nice job on the rebuild and the post Rob! Get's my vote.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:19 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Our 310 doesn't have the hose/power reels. However our 74 Excella 500 trailer does and since its being gutted to make into a car trailer I might have to look into seeing if that unit will fit in our 310.

Oh boy, one more item to add to the project list.......

Rob, great job on documenting the process.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:24 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
That is a great thread. I will copy this one off for my files ! Good Job in Speedway
John H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1986 30' Airstream 300
B , Louisiana
I'm in the middle of doing this very thing. Thanks for the details. I wish I would have read this post first, though!
jagcb750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:57 PM   #14

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
This will certainly help with my hose reel rebuild! Thanks.
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:29 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
When they cut corners for the newer models this neat item was eliminated, how do I retrofit one, or both reels, space is available in the existing trunk of the Land Yacht 30. Must be nice to give a tug and have the hose and/or electric retract. Next time I am at a rv salvage yard maybe this would be a good item to look for, did any other brand use them?
Hello Dave, If you are still looking for a retrofit ?

go to several Auto parts stores and see what they have for air hose reals ? or look at marine supplies, or marine, RV salvage houses. Hope all is well down there Dave
Old 10-01-2010, 07:20 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
John, I have looked at the auto reels, but I figured they must have been higher quality when used in a motorhome, it would be a disaster to have water leak near main box, in the 345 they put them low and any leaks would be away from floor or main input box, haven't seen an electric yet. thanks, two more days and we leave heading toward Falluminum in N. Georgia by end of month.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:34 AM   #17
x

XXXX , XXXX
Power cord reel & water hose reel

Here is a link to a company that sells power cord and water hose reels both for RV's and marine use. The original power cord reel manufacturer is still in business and still make the same power reel. The company name is Aero-motive Mfg. a division of Daniel Woodhead Inc. out of Kalamazoo Michigan. The power cord reels are about $700.00 from them.

Products for RVs, Boats and Industry
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:17 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Jamestown , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
John, I have looked at the auto reels, but I figured they must have been higher quality when used in a motorhome, it would be a disaster to have water leak near main box, in the 345 they put them low and any leaks would be away from floor or main input box, haven't seen an electric yet. thanks, two more days and we leave heading toward Falluminum in N. Georgia by end of month.
that is great country Dave, Have a good Trip
the below post gives the original information on reals. I have purchased them for marine use and know that they are quite expensive. West marine is where we get out power cord reals from.
For water, I have used the Heavy Duty, Commercial Air Hose reals. the connections are what is critical and I use, retro fit, Pipe fitting's. cutting off the original from the Hose.

Have a great trip to Falluminum. we were just down there a week ago, then back up through Chattanooga to Ky.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
One more trip today to the future Airstream. This hose reel described here is gone! One of the previous owners must've decided that it was too much to deal with. Any thoughts where to find a replacement? Harbor Freight??? Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #20
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw View Post
One more trip today to the future Airstream. This hose reel described here is gone! One of the previous owners must've decided that it was too much to deal with. Any thoughts where to find a replacement? Harbor Freight??? Thanks, Derek
Check here. The link appears under construction at the moment but I have found both water hose and power cord reels there.
Shoreline Reels - Power Cord and Hose Reels for Your RV, Boat and Home
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote