Upper rear Awning mount repair
Last Thursday evening we had a HUGE thunderstorm blast through at Alumapalooza. Our patio awning was out and we wound up hanging on it to keep it from blowing away. I thought we had escaped damage, but after we got home I found that the upper rear mount had been pulled loose from the fuselage. I also realized that it was only held on with 4 sheet metal screws into the outer skin.
Here is how I repaired/strengthened the mount.
First I made a few measurements and found that access to the inside of the mount area would be inside the upper closet in the bedroom. (Out of site)
I took an awl and made s few dimples from the outside through the screw holes. This located the area exactly inside.
Next, I used a roto-zip tool to cut out a small access hole through the inner skin.
I used 1/8"x 1 1/2" aluminum to make a doubler 4 3/4" long.
I used aircraft bolts and fiber lock nuts to secure the mount back to the fuselage, going through the new doubler. I used the Airstream sealant between the doubler and the awning mount.
The last step was to make a small 3"x 4 1/2" patch to close off the new access hole.
That should last the rest of my life!!!