Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Ultraleather for couch recover

I am gathering information to have my couch recovered in my 310 motorhome. Im looking for some input on the foam and fabric. With all the good things Ive read about ULTRALEATHER I think Ill be using it for my fabric. The best price I have found is from onlinefabricstore. They want about $64 per yard for what I would like to use. Does anyone have another source for the ULTRALEATHER that you would care to recommend?

The foam that I am considering for the seat portion is rated at medium firm with an ILD 33 and density of 3.1. I am thinking of a softer foam for the back with ILD 18 and density of 2.4.
I will order the foam with a dacron cover. Does anyone have recommendations on a source for the foam? Do you think Im on the right track with the ratings for the seat and back?

This project is way out of my comfort zone, I dont know anything about reupholstering and will be having this constructed by a professional.

I would really appreciate your info and recommendations.

Thank you so much,
Mike
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Like any subject here some love and some hate it. I read enough negative reviews to decide to go with something else. I have a cat and do not think they would be compatible.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
What did you end up going with AWCHIEF?
Old 12-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Have not really decided. Still talking to my sewing lady about it. She is going to make simple slip covers whenever I make up my mind.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Mike

Not to question your choice of fabric, but merely to offer a second choice to those of us out there that have more than one couch. It can get pretty $$$$ in a hurry with Ultraleather.

We are getting all three couches recovered in our 310, however we decided on a Sunbrella fabric even though we originally bought a Naugahyde product for the couches. The Sunbrella fabric won us over due to weight, cost per yard, toughness and will not fade due to sun.
The Ultraleather is nice but can get hot or cool depending on sun, where as the Sunbrella stays pretty even, hot or cold.
As for foam your fabric upholstery person should be able to set you up with some samples to test with.

Post some pics of the end result for us to see.
Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
We have ultra leather in our 2015 and realy like it ,we have two declawed cats ( front paws only ) I m really picky and have not had them in the trailer yet. So can't tell how good it is for that although the airstream site says ultra leather is pet friendly.

Don
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 05:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I don't have a source for ultraleather but I will add that it came on my gaucho when I bought my trailer 9 years ago. It has survived two 100# Labradors and still looks like new. I thought it would be easy for things to catch on it and tear but that hasn't happened, yet I could see how it could be problematic if you have a cat with claws. I do put a blanket down when the dogs are on it though.

The cloth material that came on the dinette wore out and has since been replaced with a sunbrella-type fabric and it is holding up well so far.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, although I find the ultraleather to be much softer on the skin and much nicer for the gaucho.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thats an interesting idea Tony I will check out their products. One thing I had read about the ULTRALEATHER is that it does breath a bit, not sure how true that is, would like some feed back.

We do have a dog and pet friendly is important. He doesnt dig or scratch at our leather furniture in the house but we do keep a throw where he likes to lay.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Dammit Tony, I thought i had this figured out! Thats good looking fabric and good for our application. I ordered a couple samples.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:03 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
We are leaning towards a classic club style interior , Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1419814953.725500.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	229375Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1419814953.725500.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	229375. This is a general idea

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 12-28-2014, 06:15 PM   #11
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Dammit Tony, I thought i had this figured out! Thats good looking fabric and good for our application. I ordered a couple samples.
Sorry to throw a monkey wrench into the works but it is good stuff.

As far as style goes, as you're most unlikely to use the couch as a bed you're able to do any style you want.

Is your couch a pull over double bed like mine? If so you may want to double check with your upholsterer that it would be able to work as a bed or not.

I have two styles, back couches are flat and form a king size bed when folded over. Front forms a double bed.

Cheers
Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03308.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	229376   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03317.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	229377  

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 12-28-2014, 06:22 PM   #12
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
We are going with Sunbrella for all the interior fabric. We have it on some garden furniture that has taken the general grim associated with being on a deck plus being sat on by our dog (which appears to have legs shorter than it's stomach is round, resulting in a constantly dirty, often wet belly) and still cleans up well.

We have Dupione Dove for the slips over the twin mattresses, but then Cassidy Pebble (stripe) for the bed bumpers, the pillow slips and rear pano drapes. Added to the flooring, maple cabinetry and granite laminate gives this overall color palette. Although you can get Sunbrella from a few national retailers (Jo-Anns, Crate and Barrel etc) these guys are one of the cheapest inline (Decorative Fabrics Direct - Upholstery and Drapery Fabric At Mill Direct Pricing !)

If you are looking at replacing the couch have you seen these guys (rv seating) they do some nice seating packages.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:01 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
I've pretty much decided against re-upholstering my front sofa in my 345. Decided that with 25 year old foam, it just wasn't worth the cost. Shop4Seats.com has my eye at the moment. I just need to decide which style I like best, as well as what I want for material.

Good Luck, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:05 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have Ultraleather and had a cat. I also have leather furniture in the sticks and bricks. I also have leather seats in the truck. The cat's claws will scratch Ultraleather, but it is easier to clean than fabric upholstery. We had fabric upholstery in our other trailer and had to put towels on the couch, chairs, and dinette benches to control cat hair. Black cat and light upholstery fabric don't go together well. White cat and dark colored upholstery don't go together. I have scratches on my Ultraleather and on my leather furniture in the house and on my leather seats in the truck. The scratches are minor from the cat jumping on or jumping off. We will get another cat. The scratches are a small price to pay for the joy our pets bring us.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:27 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Derek, I wouldnt use the old foam either, definately going to use a high quality foam for the redo. If I could find a premanufactured flip couch to sit on the platform I would consider it for sure. The only ones that I have seen are of pretty low quality. Thats why Ive decided to bite the bullet on the couch redo. The other option would be to rip out the platform the couch sits on and replace with a couch with legs or whatever. I dont want to lose the storage under the existing platform. (Indoor and outdoor access). The couch is the only real piece of furniture in the coach for lounging so Im willing to spend the do ra mi.
Mike
Old 12-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #16
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Take a look at HANCOCK FABRICS.com, They have a "Whisper Vinyl" that is covered with a urethane layer that is extremely durable, and can be wiped down with a wet cloth. I have chosen this one after seeing it in the store. It has a very nice hand, and not slick nor suede like.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I will, thank you!
Old 12-29-2014, 04:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
We even have a Hancocks here in town so if they have it in stock Ill be able to take a look and feel. Are you replacing your foam also NavyCorpsman? Id would be interested in what youve chosen for specs on the foam.

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 12-29-2014, 04:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
We had redone some of the cushions in our old Argosy with Ultraleather. Bought it from here at a much discounted price. You have to like something from the limited selection of colors.

No cats, but the humans using the trailer found it to be very comfortable and easy to clean.

Tom
Old 12-29-2014, 09:16 PM   #20
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Mike

Thought you would want to check this site out as it's all about foam. We are going to this shop tomorrow and will let you know what we find out.

Different grades of foam for Sitting, Sleeping and Real Comfort | Foamite Custom Cut Foam

Cheers
Tony