Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Classic Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2017, 10:05 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Foothill Ranch , California
I have a similar dent there too...

Rear wrap is available from Inland.. or so I thought...

Take off the rail by drilling out the rivets,
Get a suction cup on the panel and see if it will pop out.

Something like this...
http://www.harborfreight.com/pneumat...ler-69718.html
Keyair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:48 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
Bananawrap anyone?

Hey Keyair,

First, may I say that your rig fairly jumps off the page in all its glistening. What an amazing job you've done. I'm going to go back and look through the pics.

Thanks for this. I will check with Inland.

I really just want to get the banana wrap back in place and improve the dent enough to do that. Of course, I'd like to improve the dent a lot, but I'm not going to get my knickers in a twist if some dent is left.

I'm not sure how much I have to correct the dent in order for the bananawrap to fit back on there. Did you attempt this yet? Do you think we can replace the bananawrap without too much trouble, no matter what happens with the dent? Or do you think the dent is the limiting factor here? I ask because we're planning a long road trip and if I can't do it, then I have to budget time for a service stop.

I'm happy to get the pneumatic tool. I'm sure it would come in handy for cranial-anal inversions, as my chiropractor calls them.

Thanks!
Jenniflow
Jenniflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:22 PM   #23
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniflow View Post
Hey Keyair,

First, may I say that your rig fairly jumps off the page in all its glistening. What an amazing job you've done. I'm going to go back and look through the pics.

Thanks for this. I will check with Inland.

I really just want to get the banana wrap back in place and improve the dent enough to do that. Of course, I'd like to improve the dent a lot, but I'm not going to get my knickers in a twist if some dent is left.

I'm not sure how much I have to correct the dent in order for the bananawrap to fit back on there. Did you attempt this yet? Do you think we can replace the bananawrap without too much trouble, no matter what happens with the dent? Or do you think the dent is the limiting factor here? I ask because we're planning a long road trip and if I can't do it, then I have to budget time for a service stop.

I'm happy to get the pneumatic tool. I'm sure it would come in handy for cranial-anal inversions, as my chiropractor calls them.

Thanks!
Jenniflow
Did you collect all the parts for the broken banana wrap? The ABS is repairable if most of it is there.

I am fast coming to the opinion that they are not all the same across models, as the replacement rear I got for Peanut was different from the original and since we have found the two new fronts are different from Peanuts original.

I have lost track of how many non-fitting new/replaced old, front and rear banana wraps Brad has tucked away at his place!
martin300662 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:42 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Question ABS repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Did you collect all the parts for the broken banana wrap? The ABS is repairable if most of it is there.

I am fast coming to the opinion that they are not all the same across models, as the replacement rear I got for Peanut was different from the original and since we have found the two new fronts are different from Peanuts original.

I have lost track of how many non-fitting new/replaced old, front and rear banana wraps Brad has tucked away at his place!
Thanks Martin300662,

Now I am definitely going to check on the ABS repair option. I didn't realize how much variation there was.

I do have a couple of pieces that fit in the palm of my hand. I'm hoping they are all there were. And of course, I have the big piece. I'm not with the coach now but when I get there I will see if they make a whole.

What kind of tradesperson does this kind of ABS repair?

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2017, 12:22 AM   #25
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniflow View Post
Thanks Martin300662,

Now I am definitely going to check on the ABS repair option. I didn't realize how much variation there was.

I do have a couple of pieces that fit in the palm of my hand. I'm hoping they are all there were. And of course, I have the big piece. I'm not with the coach now but when I get there I will see if they make a whole.

What kind of tradesperson does this kind of ABS repair?

Thanks!
ABS can be glued (either using as special adhesive or using MEK to dissolve ABS pelts) and can be bought in sheets to repair holes (a little heat and it bends), and if done by a good bodywork guy can look as good as new (see what Ernie has managed to achieve on Peanut http://www.airforums.com/forums/f310...on-148273.html) or, if you aren't that worried about it looking perfect, why not have a go yourself?
martin300662 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:30 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Thumbs up ABS repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
ABS can be glued (either using as special adhesive or using MEK to dissolve ABS pelts) and can be bought in sheets to repair holes (a little heat and it bends), and if done by a good bodywork guy can look as good as new (see what Ernie has managed to achieve on Peanut http://www.airforums.com/forums/f310...on-148273.html) or, if you aren't that worried about it looking perfect, why not have a go yourself?
Oh, I wish! Sounds tempting though, I could try it, but I'm too busy screwing up other projects I'm working on.

But it's great to know that someone competent can probably repair this one because I do believe I have enough of the pieces.

Will post pics when we've got it done!
thanks.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:33 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
I just went to check out the Peanut thread and it is great! Will read more as I go along.