Old 08-23-2020, 12:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
The Motyho Comes to Rest

In 2003, after my father died and after the attacks of 9/11, I bought the Ole Gal, a/k/a the Motyho, a 1986 345 Classic Moho, and drove off into the sunset, towing a bright blue Mini, leaving my life in New York City behind.

I wrote a book about the trip, How NOT to RV: An RVerís Guide to RVing in the Absurd, and then a sequel, How NOT to RV Redux: RVing for the RVer Who Never Learns.

For some reason, through many fun and helpful conversations on this forum, it never occurred to me to create a thread for the a Motyho!

I know, weird.

Well, now Iím doing it. I hope youíll follow along in what feels like chapter 5 in the Ole Galís life, when she has come to rest on a piece of desert in Los Barriles, Baja California Sur, Mexico.

No more motoring for this baby, just being and relaxing and hoping to survive hurricanes.

Which means thereís a lot to do!! Cuz sheís way outta shape.

I hope youíll follow along and toss a few suggestions over the transom, even when Iím not asking for advice.

My husband Joe will be with us here too. He came onto the scene in 2007, the best result of my trip!

The Motyho has a sister ship, the Remotyho, which is actually a trailer, a 1982 34í Limited. Here they are, communing at a respectful distance. The motyho is on the left, facing east and the Remotyho is facing northwest Better pics to follow, of course. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0460.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	890.6 KB
ID:	376692
Old 08-23-2020, 12:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
My first question was posed on this thread.

Who has changed the internal configuration in a Classic Motorhome?
https://www.airforums.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=213256

But I think itís better to continue it here. Have you changed the configuration of your interior? Or know someone who has?
Old 08-23-2020, 12:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Here is the amazing and $$$$ conversion that wulfraat found!

http://timelesstraveltrailers.com/po...eam-motorhome/
Old 08-23-2020, 01:39 PM   #4
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Some things are easy to change (seating, beds).....

Some things difficult to change (bathrooms).....

Some things near impossible to change (location of the kitchen).....

Understand counters can only go below 24in windows, bathrooms need access to water tanks,etc, etc. etc

Even empty shells (Bella and now Peanut) can only be reconfigured to where things can fit.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
I deleted a closet and drawers to install a washer/dryer and woodstove in the same volume, if that counts

The 345 has a pretty good layout, if it was me full timing I'd remove the dinette and put more counter space there with a washer/dryer under it and woodstove on top, probably not needed at your lattitude

Technically you can do anything if you totally gut and do sheet metal work, but moving appliances like fridge or moving windows would get exponentially more difficult quickly.
Old 08-23-2020, 04:37 PM   #6
Silver Dreams

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Columbus , OH
We did a full gut renovation - the new configs were replacing the dinette with counter/cabinet space, added a W/D under the micro, and changed the rear queen out for a grand lounge that converts to a king+. Did a lot of other things including new engine/transmission.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Rosie.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	376714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rosie rear table.jpg
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	376715  

Name:	IMG_2369.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	376716  
Old 08-23-2020, 05:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Good advice about the limitations, thanks! Itís looking like we will be designing this reno to use the coach as outbuilding, possible guesthouse, with efficiency kitchen and toilet with a bathhouse outside.

Stream3, Rosie looks great! What a smart redesign. Can you direct me to more pics? Do you have a thread for this project? I just did a search and found only a 24í Tradewind called Rosie the Riveted. :-)

Iím especially interested in the bed. Where is the missing piece? And is the mattress made up of the sofa cushions plus that piece? Weíre kinda Princess(es) and the Pea here, we prefer a pretty soft mattress so Iím not sure this great solution would work for us.

But I would love some more counter and storage space if the rest of the seating were comfy and useful enough. Nice job!
Old 08-23-2020, 05:29 PM   #8
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniflow View Post
My first question was posed on this thread.

Who has changed the internal configuration in a Classic Motorhome?
https://www.airforums.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=213256

But I think itís better to continue it here. Have you changed the configuration of your interior? Or know someone who has?

If you ask me, no, I have not changed the configuration on 4 Classic Airstreams Motorhomes I have restored, because of all the utilities.
Airstream must have spent a lot of time configuring the different length layouts trying to fit everything and yet they all look very similar. Unless you are planning to eliminate things like generator, furnaces, water heater you are pretty much stuck with what you can install around them.
I have added dinettes across from the couch and converted rear Bedroom to day use areas, but moving the kitchen or the bathroom, like Martin said, would be a nightmare and makes no sense.
So to me, it boils down to making list of your needs and priorities before ripping it all apart. There are plenty of trailer and even Motorhomes advertised: ready for your custom interior....buyer beware.
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 05:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
I donít think weíre in a hurry to change the basic systems, except by possibly reducing them somewhat. Like maybe take out the shower, maybe even take out the tanks because weíll be connected to shore water and septic.

That could free up a lot of space, but are RV toilets and black water systems designed in a way that would make that a bad idea? To go directly into an in-ground septic system?

I suppose we could just swap in a conventional domestic toilet, but ours is on that pedestal. Whatís under the pedestal? I think itís the heater?

It would be more of a middle-of-the-night convenience bathroom. No shower.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:27 PM   #10
Silver Dreams

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Columbus , OH
Quote:
\

Stream3, Rosie looks great! What a smart redesign. Can you direct me to more pics? Do you have a thread for this project? I just did a search and found only a 24í Tradewind called Rosie the Riveted. :-)

Iím especially interested in the bed. Where is the missing piece? And is the mattress made up of the sofa cushions plus that piece?
Thanks Jenniflow- I never did a thread on it, but I probably should have - it was a two plus year project.

About the rear lounge/bed - this is our second 345 and always felt the rear bed took up some amazing space that we wanted to use during the day. The table sits on a power pedestal and yes the mattress is made from the cushions and there is one extra piece that is stored under one of two under seat storage bins. We also store bedding, pillows, and a mattress topper there as well. It takes 10 minutes to make the bed up for the night, and is a medium firm but comfortable bed. We are really pleased with the end result and wish we had done it years ago.

Happy to PM you more info/pictures should you want them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190706_133317.jpg
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	376729  
Old 08-23-2020, 06:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
but are RV toilets and black water systems designed in a way that would make that a bad idea? To go directly into an in-ground septic system?

As I recall, youíd want to repipe it so youíd have a straight fall into the in-ground septic system. Otherwise you end up with a pile of old poo where you donít want it.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:47 PM   #12
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by stream3 View Post
Thanks Jenniflow- I never did a thread on it, but I probably should have - it was a two plus year project.

About the rear lounge/bed - this is our second 345 and always felt the rear bed took up some amazing space that we wanted to use during the day. The table sits on a power pedestal and yes the mattress is made from the cushions and there is one extra piece that is stored under one of two under seat storage bins. We also store bedding, pillows, and a mattress topper there as well. It takes 10 minutes to make the bed up for the night, and is a medium firm but comfortable bed. We are really pleased with the end result and wish we had done it years ago.

That is one of the nicest rear bedroom conversion, i have seen! I totally agree with all the wasted space for bedroom use only. My 350 unfortunately has the factory Queen, with the big water tank, which makes a conversion to daytime use a bit more difficult.
AIR #13
Old 08-23-2020, 06:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:

Very interesting! I would love to see some more pics of how you did the driverís cab area, thatís a real stumper for me, the front seating, how you redid the kitchenette and shower. Did you change the toilet and small bathroom sink?

Also, what appliances did you use?

I think we may not do the convertible bed, although I love it, because weíre too lazy but that means Iím even more interested in the mods you did up front.

As far as Iím concerned you can put whatever pics you like right here in this thread because the whole point right now is what to do with the interior.

Or start a thread for your coach and link to it here?

Thanks so much for sharing this, itís enormously helpful! Beautiful work.
Old 08-23-2020, 07:16 PM   #14
Silver Dreams

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Columbus , OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
That is one of the nicest rear bedroom conversion, i have seen! I totally agree with all the wasted space for bedroom use only. My 350 unfortunately has the factory Queen, with the big water tank, which makes a conversion to daytime use a bit more difficult.
Thanks Peter, kind words coming from one of the premier DIY guys on the forum. Our 345 has the 80 gl tank as well and we moved it back as far as we could, which was just enough to hide it under the rear seating area. We did lose the under bed storage, but picked up the right side under seat so it all worked out.
Old 08-23-2020, 07:58 PM   #15
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Thanks Peter, kind words coming from one of the premier DIY guys on the forum. Our 345 has the 80 gl tank as well and we moved it back as far as we could, which was just enough to hide it under the rear seating area. We did lose the under bed storage, but picked up the right side under seat so it all worked out.

Jerry, like I mentioned above, every model change Airstream rearranged stuff. The 350 models have a huge storage compartment accessible from the rear, where your Spare tire is located. (The spare is mounted underneath with a cable system) So no option to move the tank back unless i want to loose that valuable exterior storage space. In my case it would require a much smaller Water tank under one of the side benches. I already have been contemplating this and seeing your solution reignited the thoughts about it.
In case of Jenniflow's remodel, they don't really have to consider weight and balances, since the 345 will be stationary, which makes for more flexible options. Our mobile units have to consider to some degree where heavy items like the tanks and generator are located and I would assume (or hope) that Airstream gave that some thoughts as well.
AIR #13
Old 08-23-2020, 08:24 PM   #16
Silver Dreams

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Columbus , OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Jerry, like I mentioned above, every model change Airstream rearranged stuff. The 350 models have a huge storage compartment accessible from the rear, where your Spare tire is located. (The spare is mounted underneath with a cable system) So no option to move the tank back unless i want to loose that valuable exterior storage space. In my case it would require a much smaller Water tank under one of the side benches. I already have been contemplating this and seeing your solution reignited the thoughts about it.
In case of Jenniflow's remodel, they don't really have to consider weight and balances, since the 345 will be stationary, which makes for more flexible options. Our mobile units have to consider to some degree where heavy items like the tanks and generator are located and I would assume (or hope) that Airstream gave that some thoughts as well.
Ah, good info Peter. Didn't realize that change in the 350. In moving the fresh tank back I too was concerned about moving the CG and effect on handling, but figured we could always run with half tank or less if it was a problem. So far no issues. I also did some research on custom water tanks, which I was ready to go with using a multiple tank system spread in more forward areas, but decided to try moving the tank back first. The added power and torque of the HT 502 has been a game changer.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:17 PM   #17
Silver Dreams

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Columbus , OH
Quote:
Very interesting! I would love to see some more pics of how you did the driverís cab area, thatís a real stumper for me, the front seating, how you redid the kitchenette and shower. Did you change the toilet and small bathroom sink?

Also, what appliances did you use?

I think we may not do the convertible bed, although I love it, because weíre too lazy but that means Iím even more interested in the mods you did up front.

As far as Iím concerned you can put whatever pics you like right here in this thread because the whole point right now is what to do with the interior.

Or start a thread for your coach and link to it here?

Thanks so much for sharing this, itís enormously helpful! Beautiful work.
Hey Jenniflow,
I might actually start a thread, but for now here are some answers -
We used Dometic appliances for the induction cooktop, refrigerator and new ACs. A Bosch Speed Oven replaced the old micro and gas oven. Really happy with all of those choices, as we wanted a modern functional kitchen, with more space for meal prep and cleanup. In addition to the Splendide 2100 XC vented W/D, we plumbed for a Fisher & Paykel dishwasher, but opted to keep that space, at least for now, for storage.

The front included refurbished dash with walnut veneer, reupholstered/redesigned leather sofa and matching captain chairs, new carpet up front, bamboo engineered heated floors throughout, new apt size swivel barrel chairs, and a stainless farm sink (awesome!). There's a new Beraldi vent fan, and we added Zamp solar, LiPo batteries, Magnum 2000 watt inverter, and 50A upgrade. Believe or not there is a lot more. Oh man this is a sickness!

Attached a few more pics - the important one is the gut photo, as it clearly shows everyone who attempts these things starts at the beginning...and it ain't pretty - but it is worth it when you're done!

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gutted Rosie.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	376743   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2377.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	376744  

Name:	IMG_2376.jpg
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	376745   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2375.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	376751  

Name:	IMG_2373.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	376754   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2368.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	376755  

Old 08-24-2020, 06:29 AM   #18
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
I might actually start a thread,....

Jerry, i think many would benefit from your resto and i would enjoy seeing more of your pictures and the materials you used. It does show that you used most of the original locations for plumbing, electr etc to update your 345.
AIR #13
Old 08-24-2020, 07:22 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:

Please do start a thread, or at least post more pictures and info on that rear bedroom. I'm considering reconfiguring my rear bedroom, and yours looks fantastic. That's a great looking 345!
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:40 AM   #20
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
I'm in. You lucky girl; 2 rv's! Looking forward to tagging along.
CC
Camper Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote