Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2020, 08:41 AM   #21
CC

1972 27' Overlander
Heinsburg , AB
I'm in. You lucky girl; 2 rv's! Looking forward to tagging along.
CC
Camper Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:54 AM   #22
Silver Dreams

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Columbus , OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Jerry, i think many would benefit from your resto and i would enjoy seeing more of your pictures and the materials you used. It does show that you used most of the original locations for plumbing, electr etc to update your 345.
Well, documenting it was something I always intended to do, but life got in the way. Correct, we did not change any of the original locations for plumbing/electric as we found no reason to do so.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:15 AM   #23
Silver Dreams

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Columbus , OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet18 View Post
Please do start a thread, or at least post more pictures and info on that rear bedroom. I'm considering reconfiguring my rear bedroom, and yours looks fantastic. That's a great looking 345!
Thank you sir! With the wrap around windows, the rear lounge has become our favorite part of the coach. Plus, it gives us separate areas that we can work from when needed. Here are a couple more pics from the reno stage.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2020, 09:55 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
The Motyho Comes to Rest

I’m so excited about your reno, Jerry, thanks so much for all that added detail and pics. I really appreciate it.
Now Joe and I are both more excited about our renovation!

We do have more latitude, not planning to travel with it, but we’re not sure on the budget yet, that will be a big factor in our decisions.

We may do a lot more ourselves because we can eliminate some technicalities.

I would love to gut it, I don’t know if Joe has the stomach for that. So to speak. Among other things, I’d like to improve the insulation.

Did any of you folks manage to increase the R values significantly when you re-insulated? Or is it kinda meaningless with all the windows!

I vote for more pics too!
Old 08-24-2020, 09:57 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Crazy View Post
I'm in. You lucky girl; 2 rv's! Looking forward to tagging along.

CC

Welcome aboard, Camper Crazy!
Old 08-24-2020, 02:43 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
Awesome Combination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniflow View Post
In 2003, after my father died and after the attacks of 9/11, I bought the Ole Gal, a/k/a the Motyho, a 1986 345 Classic Moho, and drove off into the sunset, towing a bright blue Mini, leaving my life in New York City behind.

I wrote a book about the trip, How NOT to RV: An RVer’s Guide to RVing in the Absurd, and then a sequel, How NOT to RV Redux: RVing for the RVer Who Never Learns.

For some reason, through many fun and helpful conversations on this forum, it never occurred to me to create a thread for the a Motyho!

I know, weird.

Well, now I’m doing it. I hope you’ll follow along in what feels like chapter 5 in the Ole Gal’s life, when she has come to rest on a piece of desert in Los Barriles, Baja California Sur, Mexico.

No more motoring for this baby, just being and relaxing and hoping to survive hurricanes.

Which means there’s a lot to do!! Cuz she’s way outta shape.

I hope you’ll follow along and toss a few suggestions over the transom, even when I’m not asking for advice. [emoji16]

My husband Joe will be with us here too. He came onto the scene in 2007, the best result of my trip!

The Motyho has a sister ship, the Remotyho, which is actually a trailer, a 1982 34’ Limited. Here they are, communing at a respectful distance. The motyho is on the left, facing east and the Remotyho is facing northwest Better pics to follow, of course. Attachment 376692
Who said "you can't have it all" probably never met you
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:17 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Talking Airstream reno budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrady62 View Post
Who said "you can't have it all" probably never met you
Hahaha! I wish we also had the blockbuster budget to redo them!
Old 08-25-2020, 03:47 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Auckland , New Zealand
Hi J&husband, interesting desert pad!
As I'm using mine as an office for couple more years all I do to my 345 is preserve it so no further deterioration , gives the next owner or myself a chance to restore at some later stage and keeps its value up. So to me all the Oak paneling is what these clasics are all about and were done using bygone skills. But the rear east west queen was not well thought out to me.
So I used another jack knife couch same as the front original unit, fitted nicely along drivers wall with an oak desk n draws matching the oak interior. So makes a good rear observation lounge or workspace or bedroom with sock drawer, flips over into a bed in 6 sec. I throw down Turkish or Mexican rugs, heaps off them through out, helps cool n warm the space.
The 80 gal water tank is the base for the couch, correct hight. With world weather changes upon us even with mains water I keep mine full!
White industrial shade cloth in light weight frames to break direct sun, sorts our 345 toasters! Wind tamer aswell.
Rus
Voltair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:51 AM   #29
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Jenniflow,

Voltair made some valid points about preservation of the original, which I assume you already went through in detail.
Since the only constant in life is change, we just dont know wants lurking around the corner. Once you dig into removing major features, like showers etc, you are reducing the resale value to approaching zero.
Right now you have an asset that someone may be interested in restoring, which in turn would give you the funds to find something (another trailer) that meets your needs and could always be easily moved.
After all, that 345 is filled with many gallons of very toxic fluids that will eventually start leaking!

Unless of course you are recreating another "into the wild" tourist attraction
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:18 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Voltair, I like your idea about the jack-knife and desk in back. That could be just the thing for Joe who has always wanted an office/away place in each home we’ve had.

And we’re still working on the shade solutions, believe it or not.

I’m torn about the wood cabinets, I do love that they’re wood but they are also really warped and sprung in some places and the recessed panels keep falling out. A tradesman here wants $750 to repair them and 1000 to also refinish them. With all the other expenses, I’m resisting it. I’m considering trying my hand at the repairs myself. Or just removing them.

Have you had to do much work on the wood cabinets? Does that even work well? The recessed panels appear to have shrunk and no longer quite fill the spaces designed for them. Maybe I might have to replace them with something else.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:25 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
PeterH, you have touched on some issues that have been dogging me all my life. [emoji849]

I always want to do something radical and I never do it because of the conventional preferences of The Buyer. But I’m 63. When do I get to do what I want? [emoji1] It’s a real conflict. I’ve always decided on behalf of The Buyer until we bought the Remotyho (the trailer). I pulled everything out of it except the L-shaped sitting room forward. It was the only part that made us happy. I still don’t know what we’ll do with the rest but it’s fun thinking about it! Right now it’s storage until we build a shed/workshop but then Who Knows?

And the other thing is the toxic liquids and the rusting gas tank! The generator is having a hussy fit so we can’t even use that to use up the gas - but we’ll fix it. How much other stuff is in there that I’ve gotta make sure to get out? Yikes. [emoji15][emoji1]
Old 08-25-2020, 02:56 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Who's the hussy in hissy?

Quote:
The generator is having a hussy fit ...[emoji1]
Hahahaha!
Old 08-26-2020, 03:18 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Auckland , New Zealand
Hi J&J,
Me basically being a lazy begger I have to allocate time for maintance, usually 1hr gets enough done, many months can go by and nothing needed attention or could wait, then in some jobs I'll even find some strange pleasure n keep going, I never force myself to do anything thoe. I think about how I can takle it, go over it in my mind some early morning to find best pleasuable method for me, so when I have found or bought all the bits its no surprises n simple to do!
Regarding your wood problems I presume your referring to the overhead cabnets, door inserts in particular. You'll notice that some off the brown plastic locking wedges may have departed or .. Previous owner had gone to Hardware Store and in the skrew section has bought 1/2" X 4"X1/8" flat plaited steel with predrilled countersink numerous holes plus 1/4 skrews and each door panel has fitted two brackets,
Also because the overhead cabnets are hanging and full off weighty things and gravity allow the joints to come apart, if so you'll see the wooden dowels, so get some PVA glue and cut a peice off timber the hight off the floor to welge each closed, mine never were ever glued.
Remember it takes minutes to rip stuff out and years to put back in. Re varnishing your Oak panells one panell at a time over time using small pot off marine varnish, it"ll look luvely again. Try and avoid the pot off white plastic paint or "Ikea flat pak" type furniture "no remedy" not worth having and offensive to most.
Talking about ripping stuff out, so as to remove unnecessary weight thoes old generators are just heavy dinosaurs as with the LPG torpedo behind the driver , both I'v removed and made land based.
Solar and a small Honda.
Also if it is going to be parked up long term till you sell then use a stubby jack under rear diff housing and blocks under spring shackles will remove strain on tyers n suspension, block front up, chassis to ground. And each summer/ winter run motor and with wheels off ground go through gears while operating brakes n steering.
Remember it knows what it is, so it needs to do its thing, like us all from time to time, to keep us all happy.
Rus
Voltair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:38 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sausalito , California
Thanks for the post, Voltair, full of good and helpful ideas. I'm taking notes. Tomorrow is one of our rare journeys to La Paz, the capital of Baja California Sur, where they have big box hardware stores where we have a greater array of supplies and tools we can buy.

-- Joe
JoeFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:39 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Thumbs up Trailer better than motorhome for outbuilding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Jenniflow,

Voltair made some valid points about preservation of the original, which I assume you already went through in detail.
Since the only constant in life is change, we just dont know wants lurking around the corner. Once you dig into removing major features, like showers etc, you are reducing the resale value to approaching zero.
Right now you have an asset that someone may be interested in restoring, which in turn would give you the funds to find something (another trailer) that meets your needs and could always be easily moved.
After all, that 345 is filled with many gallons of very toxic fluids that will eventually start leaking!

Unless of course you are recreating another "into the wild" tourist attraction
This is an important question you've raised, PeterH, which is whether it's really a good idea to use a motorhome long-term as an outbuilding.

We are in Baja, so the options are few for Airstreams of any kind. We're also considering building a house and maybe some other outbuildings. So I'm not completely sure we're in it for the long long term with this moho as an outbuilding. So maybe you guys are right that we shouldn't too thoroughly deform the original.

We already removed the rusting propane tank, we can remove the generator and that will give us some more external storage space for other stuff, or maybe just for the Honda 3200i that we have sitting outside. Much quieter, more efficient. I'd have to measure it though.

I was going to replace the really worn carpet with a completely new floor, but I kind of like the idea of cutting a variety of colorful area rugs that we already have and aren't using for a kind of fun patchwork in the short term. I love recycling and upcycling, it adds a creative challenge. I have a FB group called Sustainable You where anyone interested in sustainability can come and share inspiring stuff and resources for just this kind of thing.

We can improve the kitchen by replacing the countertop and sink and cooktop.

I'll think about this for a while, and in a day or two I'll take some Before pics for you guys.

Thanks so much for your perspective!

Maybe we'll save the more dramatic changes like Jerry's for the trailer, the Remotyho. Another thread? Hmmm.
Old 08-26-2020, 05:41 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sausalito , California
What a lovely reno, Stream3!
Old 08-26-2020, 05:51 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sausalito , California
Straight fall to septic?

Quote:
As I recall, you’d want to repipe it so you’d have a straight fall into the in-ground septic system. Otherwise you end up with a pile of old poo where you don’t want it.
Unfortunately, we can't do that, as the septic system is not directly below the MotyHo at that point.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:28 PM   #38
Silver Dreams

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Columbus , OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFlower View Post
What a lovely reno, Stream3!
Thanks Joe! Wishing you guys lots of good days in your upcoming reno(s). By the way, I want all to know that my wife and I did the interior design and chose all the materials, etc, but a really talented (and nice!) group of craftsmen at the RV Clinic in Franklin, Ohio made it a reality. You can see more of the before and after on their FB page. It was a real pleasure to see it all come together, although not without its challenges as you might expect. Here's a few more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2367.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	377000  
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2020, 08:40 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Thumbs up More beautiful pics of Rosie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stream3 View Post
Thanks Joe! Wishing you guys lots of good days in your upcoming reno(s). By the way, I want all to know that my wife and I did the interior design and chose all the materials, etc, but a really talented (and nice!) group of craftsmen at the RV Clinic in Franklin, Ohio made it a reality. You can see more of the before and after on their FB page. It was a real pleasure to see it all come together, although not without its challenges as you might expect. Here's a few more pics.
I sure wish we could just drop our coaches by the RV Clinic in Franklin OH! Beautiful choices, Jerry. I am thinking hard about ours, inspired by yours. :-)

There's a lot to talk about here. For the moment, I'll just say that
the pics on The RV Clinic's FB page are sooooo helpful. I have been dying to take apart that whole cab area and redo it. Did you just go back to the walls? Or did they take out the interior walls and reinsulate it? It doesn't look like they did. It probably wasn't necessary. Was that a difficult decision?

Thanks so much for all these. I have to say, I am ready for a completely new look in our interior.
Old 08-26-2020, 08:55 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Question Heated floors in Rosie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stream3 View Post
Hey Jenniflow,
bamboo engineered heated floors throughout, new apt size swivel barrel chairs, and a stainless farm sink (awesome!). There's a new Beraldi vent fan, and we added Zamp solar, LiPo batteries, Magnum 2000 watt inverter, and 50A upgrade. Believe or not there is a lot more. Oh man this is a sickness!
!
Hey Jerry,
About the heated floors: Was that only possible with the 50 Amp upgrade? How did you work that in?

We have already removed one of the antique, incredibly noisy and unpleasant original heaters and we never use the other one. I want to get them out out out!