Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2020, 10:23 PM   #41
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenniflow View Post
This is an important question you've raised, PeterH, which is whether it's really a good idea to use a motorhome long-term as an outbuilding.

Well, Jennyflow, You may just want to have a big magic marker on hand and draw a big X on your screen, when you see my posts
Call me the devils advocate, the old dude with ancient taste, the last one standing fighting this modern wave of white and gray (I happen to work in the decorating business, so I have seen it all and some)
I love hardwood and I make a real effort to restore it to its original glory. What I do not like is the oak veneered plywood they used through out these rigs. Its separating, looks cheap and tacky. So what do you do? Paint it, tear it out or cover it?
Painting it does not solve the problem of separations, tearing it out is a huge job which leads to many other huge jobs. So, I choose to cover it. I use automotive vinyls and adhere them with Landau top high temp contact cement. It does last and withstands high temps.
Look at some of my solutions with some before and after pictures. This is my current project a 1992 350LE and have done similar work to 3 other Motorhomes and countless trailers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bench1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	377011   Click image for larger version

Name:	bench2.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	377012  

Name:	rightdinette.jpg
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	377013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Newwall-before.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	377014  

Name:	newwall.jpg
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	377015   Click image for larger version

Name:	interiorcouch.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	486.3 KB
ID:	377016  

Name:	blind-dinette.jpg
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	377017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Partsdoor.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	377018  

AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:47 PM   #42
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
For a few years in the early 90's Airstream made a front kitchen model in 30' and 34' length. I own a 30' and it is our most favorite layout. It has a center couch that we turned into a sleeping booth with a curtain. The rear twins I converted to a day use/office space with either 2 twins or 1 twin and another dinette. First picture is view towards the front kitchen, second view towards the rear bedroom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	NewDinette.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	537.7 KB
ID:	377023   Click image for larger version

Name:	twin-conversation.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	516.6 KB
ID:	377024  

AIR #13
Old 08-26-2020, 11:28 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Send a message via Skype™ to Jenniflow
Wood finish or paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
For a few years in the early 90's Airstream made a front kitchen model in 30' and 34' length. I own a 30' and it is our most favorite layout. It has a center couch that we turned into a sleeping booth with a curtain. The rear twins I converted to a day use/office space with either 2 twins or 1 twin and another dinette. First picture is view towards the front kitchen, second view towards the rear bedroom.
Those are beautiful, warm wood finishes!

And I never knew they had a layout like that. I have been wracking my brains, trying to come up with a good way to increase the counter space in the motorhome and Jerry's reconfiguration looks the best I've seen for that.

The jury is still out, here at our house, about what the interior colors/finishes will be. I grew up with antiques, I've had antiques all my life. In fact some of our artwork which draws on old themes, will stay, whether or not we update the look. I may split the difference and, gasp! paint the wood a light color, and leave it to someone else to strip it back down if they want that wood finish again. At least I wouldn't be closing all the options for a new buyer.

But I may not have the heart to do that. ;-)
Old 08-27-2020, 04:22 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Auckland , New Zealand
PeterH,
Gosh! "NICE" even the use off automotive vynal, valid solution.
Early next year I need to start reupholstering all my sofa's and seating, I'v had problems finding a comfortable cloth, "your sofa" where or how did you get the wonderful cloth, or who made them??
Is your floor real wood?
I have no floor coverings yet except for a few Persian Rugs, mine had plastic clip flooring that trapped moisture then mold arrived, grrrr, I'm struggling with a sensible choice to date. I have had run American Oak as mouldings to build my rear office conversation with Formica as desk top, and light weight Euro Pine as structure. Golden honey wood dye as I keep my Cedar blinds closed, interior could get bit dark with darker wood dye.
Sorry Jenny about this momentery diversion..
Rus
Voltair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 06:23 AM   #45
Silver Dreams

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Columbus , OH
Quote:
Hey Jerry,
About the heated floors: Was that only possible with the 50 Amp upgrade? How did you work that in?

We have already removed one of the antique, incredibly noisy and unpleasant original heaters and we never use the other one. I want to get them out out out!
Hey Jenny-
The heated floor material came from Warmly Yours, [URL="https://www.warmlyyours.com/en-US/floor-heating"]
and we used the TempZone Flex rolls. They come with a thermostat, and run off shore power or generator - 50Amp is not necessary. In regards to your other question, we did not take the inner walls out to install new insulation. The coach was in pretty good shape, so we stripped the old "mouse fur" from the walls and ceiling, and installed new. The RV Clinic bought all of the remaining classic mouse fur from AS, so they are the source to contact if you need any.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:02 AM   #46
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by stream3 View Post
Thanks Joe! Wishing you guys lots of good days in your upcoming reno(s). By the way, I want all to know that my wife and I did the interior design and chose all the materials, etc, but a really talented (and nice!) group of craftsmen at the RV Clinic in Franklin, Ohio made it a reality. You can see more of the before and after on their FB page. It was a real pleasure to see it all come together, although not without its challenges as you might expect. Here's a few more pics.
A good job by both parties, looks great!
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:11 AM   #47
Silver Dreams

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Columbus , OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet18 View Post
A good job by both parties, looks great!
Magnet18 - Thank you, really appreciate it!
Old 08-27-2020, 01:40 PM   #48
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltair View Post
PeterH,
Gosh! "NICE" even the use off automotive vynal, valid solution.
Early next year I need to start reupholstering all my sofa's and seating, I'v had problems finding a comfortable cloth, "your sofa" where or how did you get the wonderful cloth, or who made them??
Is your floor real wood?
I have no floor coverings yet except for a few Persian Rugs, mine had plastic clip flooring that trapped moisture then mold arrived, grrrr, I'm struggling with a sensible choice to date. I have had run American Oak as mouldings to build my rear office conversation with Formica as desk top, and light weight Euro Pine as structure. Golden honey wood dye as I keep my Cedar blinds closed, interior could get bit dark with darker wood dye.
Sorry Jenny about this momentery diversion..
Rus

Rus, I have been using what is called in the US Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
or LVP. It his 100% waterproof and it holds up well in cold and Extreme Heat. No damage or scratches from dogs. If you look for something similar, makes sure it is at least 8mm thick. Anything less causes problem in temperature extremes. It comes in several colors and the grain print is very authentic. I have used all of their selections by now. (see pics below)

The couch was done by the previous owner and we kept it,since it is so comfortable versus a vinyl or even leather. I just replaced the fabric inserts on the chairs with a blue vinyl
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lifeproof.jpg
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	377060   Click image for larger version

Name:	entry.jpg
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	377061  

Name:	dinette.jpg
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	377062   Click image for larger version

Name:	frontpassenger.jpg
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	377063  

Name:	Passengerseat.jpg
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	377064  
AIR #13
Old 08-27-2020, 06:04 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic S/O
2006 39' Land Yacht 396 XL
north blenheim , New York
Thatís the widest seat I have ever seen ! You could put 2 of me in that ! Regards, Bob
bobmiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 04:24 AM   #50
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Auckland , New Zealand
Ta PeterH,
Will do a world search for that fabric using a image sample from your couch pic, hope thats alright. Looks sorta tufted& 2comfortable.
Thanks Jen joe hope your visit to your new town was fun:} Good to see a panarama shot off your location looks so interesting, mine is in a mountain forrest setting quite the opposite.
Voltair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:58 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
calgary , alberta
Peter and Stream3 great amazing work! I have a question about shower. What prep did you do for tile and did you take off the vinyl wall paper? I was going to do aluminum but the tile looks amazing thanks Jonathan
jhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:13 PM   #52
Silver Dreams

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Columbus , OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhenry View Post
Peter and Stream3 great amazing work! I have a question about shower. What prep did you do for tile and did you take off the vinyl wall paper? I was going to do aluminum but the tile looks amazing thanks Jonathan
Thanks jhenry! The old shower came out when we gutted the interior and the new one was built using the old shower dimensions. Prep work was pretty much like you'd do with a shower in your home. We used 12 x 12 sheets of 2" hexagon tile which made it possible to handle the curved ceiling, and a pre-mixed grout.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:01 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
I apologize, somehow I stopped getting notifications of posts to my own thread! Thereís a little check mark at the top of the page on the iPhone app, is that a subscription link? Because maybe I clicked it by mistake? I donít know which is subscribed, the blue background or the white background. Do you?

Anyway, Iím sorry I missed all the great back and forth. I love seeing the choices youíre making and what youíre using.

I am much more interested now, Jerry, in doing the heated floors in the moho and getting rid of other heating. I am always the one encouraging people to do radiant floors. In fact, one element weíve planned for our site here in Baja is a radiant patio floor. We tell ourselves here that we live outside but in the winter itís often too cold and few want to admit it so we bundle up and suffer. No more!

I have no clue yet which floor weíll put over it.

But Iím relieved to hear I donít need 50 amps!
Old 08-30-2020, 01:38 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Off topic slightly, but if anyone has retained any of their ripped out interiors, i am still looking for the following things:

Indoor/Outdoor thermometer
Airstream Steering Wheel
Dash plastic trim which go around the dash air vents and also to the side of the front passenger seats

Hit me up via PM if anyone can help.

thanks
Nick
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:07 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
I have a floor question.

I made a terrible newbie mistake 17 years ago and installed a wool carpet in this rig.

Itís bug-eaten, and stained and looks terrible.

The folks who installed it removed all the furniture and put it under everything. To remove all of it I will have to do the same thing.

But do I have to recover the areas under the furniture with finished floor or more carpet to protect the subfloor? Or can I just leave the subfloor as it is or seal it with something?
Old 09-06-2020, 08:12 AM   #56
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
I have a floor question.

I made a terrible newbie mistake 17 years ago and installed a wool carpet in this rig.

Itís bug-eaten, and stained and looks terrible.

The folks who installed it removed all the furniture and put it under everything. To remove all of it I will have to do the same thing.

But do I have to recover the areas under the furniture with finished floor or more carpet to protect the subfloor? Or can I just leave the subfloor as it is or seal it with something?

One of Airstreams biggest mistake was to use foam pads and carpeting. That and the metal sheet under the flooring and the type of wood are a recipe for total destruction. Once the wood gets soaked, it never dries out unless you live in a desert with no rain.

So prepare yourself for a real shock once you remove the wool carpeting. No need to place a flooring under the cabinets. I prefer to do it, so I have flooring in storage and a nice finish edge at the cabinets without having to use shoe molding everywhere.
AIR #13
Old 09-13-2020, 08:26 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Hey Jenniflow,

I might actually start a thread, but for now here are some answers -

We used Dometic appliances for the induction cooktop, refrigerator and new ACs. A Bosch Speed Oven replaced the old micro and gas oven. Really happy with all of those choices, as we wanted a modern functional kitchen, with more space for meal prep and cleanup. In addition to the Splendide 2100 XC vented W/D, we plumbed for a Fisher & Paykel dishwasher, but opted to keep that space, at least for now, for storage.

The front included refurbished dash with walnut veneer, reupholstered/redesigned leather sofa and matching captain chairs, new carpet up front, bamboo engineered heated floors throughout, new apt size swivel barrel chairs, and a stainless farm sink (awesome!). There's a new Beraldi vent fan, and we added Zamp solar, LiPo batteries, Magnum 2000 watt inverter, and 50A upgrade. Believe or not there is a lot more. Oh man this is a sickness!

Attached a few more pics - the important one is the gut photo, as it clearly shows everyone who attempts these things starts at the beginning...and it ain't pretty - but it is worth it when you're done!

Good luck!

Hey Jerry,
Did you paint your walls? Or did they wallpaper?

Did you run into the plasticizer problem?

Or I guess thatís why they get paid the big bucks. You didnít have to deal with it!
Old 09-14-2020, 09:36 AM   #58
Silver Dreams

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Columbus , OH
Hey Jenniflow-
They sanded everything smooth and then applied new "mouse fur". We like the MS because it deadens sound and creates a uniform nice look.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:22 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Quote:
Hey Jenniflow-
They sanded everything smooth and then applied new "mouse fur". We like the MS because it deadens sound and creates a uniform nice look.

Itís beautiful.

One of the most peaceful places Iíve been was, surprisingly, a dove grey apartment in New York City where they had completely upholstered the walls. They had sound dampening foam behind the fabric.

Do you happen to know if your guys glued it? Stapled it? Some other method? Did they just use the MF or add a backing or filling of some kind?

I would love to increase the quiet and insulation.

If you donít know, maybe Iíll ask them and report back. I just donít know if theyíll respond to me but I can try.

Thanks so much!
Old 09-14-2020, 11:16 AM   #60
Silver Dreams

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Columbus , OH
Yes, it makes it cozy. No additional backing. They glued it directly to the prepped walls and ceiling (except the bathroom). A really strong glue.